network problems on 12.1 - Slackware

This is a discussion on network problems on 12.1 - Slackware ; Hello everybody, I installed a Slackware 12.1 a few days ago, but I'm still stuck on this (very) annoying thing: I can't connect to internet. I have a D-Link modem/router ADSL (192.168.1.1) connected by a network cable on eth0. With ...

  1. network problems on 12.1

    Hello everybody, I installed a Slackware 12.1 a few days ago, but I'm
    still stuck on this (very) annoying thing: I can't connect to internet.

    I have a D-Link modem/router ADSL (192.168.1.1) connected by a network
    cable on eth0.
    With netconfig I request a DHCP connection, I reboot the system and I
    can read in the boot messages (but not with dmesg!) that an ip is
    assigned to the eth0 network card.
    But I can't connect.
    I've tried many tricks with pppoe-setup too, but seem to be just a LAN
    problem because this D-Link is a modem+router set up to keep a
    connection open with my internet provider and on windows and ubuntu it's ok.

    I've tried also by editing manually these files:
    /etc/resolv.conf
    /etc/host.conf
    /etc/hosts
    /etc/rc.d/rc.init1.conf
    and using the KDE tool (settings -> network setup) I've been able to
    connect some times but it was totally random. I rebooted and all was gone.
    During the last tryings I haven't been able to connect at all.

    Any suggestions?
    Thank you very much in advance.

    PS
    This is a desktop pc and it's the only one connected to the modem/router.
    I also controlled the ethernet port with
    ethtool eth0
    and it seems ok.
    --
    .................................................. ......................
    ~ AleP. ~

  2. Re: network problems on 12.1

    SEri0usj0k3R wrote:
    > I can't connect to internet.

    What does /sbin/ifconfig say?
    What does /sbin/route say?
    What does /usr/bin/nslookup www.google.com say?
    What does /usr/bin/traceroute 64.233.183.99 say?

    > I have a D-Link modem/router ADSL (192.168.1.1) connected by a network
    > cable on eth0.

    > I've tried many tricks with pppoe-setup too

    If you have a ADSL router you should probably not mess with pppoe.

    > I've tried also by editing manually these files:
    > /etc/resolv.conf
    > /etc/host.conf
    > /etc/hosts
    > /etc/rc.d/rc.init1.conf

    Their contents might be bad, but its hard to say without knowing what they
    look like. A good start is to show us the output from the 4 commands above.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: network problems on 12.1

    On 2008-07-16, SEri0usj0k3R wrote:

    > I have a D-Link modem/router ADSL (192.168.1.1) connected by a network
    > cable on eth0.
    > With netconfig I request a DHCP connection, I reboot the system and I
    > can read in the boot messages (but not with dmesg!) that an ip is
    > assigned to the eth0 network card.
    > But I can't connect.

    What is the ip?

    > I've tried many tricks with pppoe-setup too....

    Shouldn't even be messing with that. netconfig should have set you up with
    no other hassles.

    Try and ping your NIC:

    ping 127.0.0.1

    If you can ping your NIC ok, ping your router (192.168.1.1). If you can't
    ping your NIC, you got bad card. If you can't ping your router, you have a
    bad cat 5 cable or connection. Look if the connection lights at each end of
    the cable are lit.

    nb

  4. Re: network problems on 12.1

    Perhaps I've got it... the ping toward localhost was ok, but the router
    didn't reply.
    ifconfig said that to eth0 was assigned a 70.30.... ip.
    With "route -n" I don't see any router.

    So if I give to my eth0 an ip like 192.168.1.2 with ifconfig and then:

    route add default gw 192.168.1.1

    ....everything seem to be right. But during the bootstrap I can read that
    to my eth0 is assigned an ip like the one above 70.30.... So, the
    question now is, how do I assign a permanent ip to the eth0, and a
    permanent gateway in the route map?

    Thank you very much!
    --
    .................................................. ......................
    ~ AleP. ~
    - http://anthropos.altervista.org -
    -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
    - La normalitÓ Ŕ un concetto di maggioranza -
    [R.B.Matheson, "Io sono Leggenda", 1954]
    ..-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
    .................................................. ......................

  5. Re: network problems on 12.1

    Hallo, SEri0usj0k3R,

    Du meintest am 16.07.08:

    > I have a D-Link modem/router ADSL (192.168.1.1) connected by a
    > network cable on eth0.

    Is this router a DHCP server?
    Then yor slackware computer has to ask it for a DHCP connection.

    I prefer "pump" for this job:

    http://arktur.shuttle.de/CD/5.0/slac....24-2_i386.tgz

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  6. Re: network problems on 12.1

  7. Re: network problems on 12.1

  8. Re: network problems on 12.1

    On 2008-07-17, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > Note: this will not ping your "NIC". This IP address is assigned to
    > the virtual loopback device. Even if your NIC was plugged into the
    > wall socket, smoking, on fire, and too busy sleeping with your sister
    > to do any work, (or if the module isn't even loaded or there is no NIC
    > at all), you'll get replies from this address.

    If Nick (my brother) is sleeping with my sister, he will shortly find
    himself plugged into a wall socket with his loopback device on fire, and he
    will surely burn in Hell! Fortunately, WE don't have a sister.

    BTW, if one was unable to ping one's loopback device (lo), just what would
    that be indicative of? (leave said sister out of it)

    nb

  9. Re: network problems on 12.1

    +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    Hey Alan! Remember Telebit Trailblazers @ 36bit/s [18400 baud]? Now
    there was a modem!! Not like the "the DSL devices" used these days to
    connect you computer or router to a DSL phone line to use an ADSL service.

    Use to move newsgroups for FIDONET back then ...

    LOL

  10. Re: network problems on 12.1

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 00:35:30 +0000, notbob wrote:

    > If Nick (my brother) is sleeping with my sister, he will shortly find
    > himself plugged into a wall socket with his loopback device on fire, and
    > he will surely burn in Hell! Fortunately, WE don't have a sister.

    Hoohoo, I want one off your stuff too! And I'm sure you can
    count Dan C in as well as he seems in a search for a new connection ;D)

  11. Re: network problems on 12.1

  12. Re: network problems on 12.1

    On 2008-07-18, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > - - Most commonly it would mean that the loopback device isn't present,
    > probably due to compiling a custom kernel and leaving out this feature
    > - - You could have really screwed up your netfilter rules
    > - - You might just have taken the interface down
    > - - If it's not those, it almost surely indicates some serious internal
    > kernel problems

    Hmmm.... maybe I should re-phrase thequestion. I one IS able to ping
    one's loopback device, exactly that it THAT idicative of?

    nb

  13. Re: network problems on 12.1

+ Reply to Thread