Slack 12.1 Mysql fails to load daemon mysqld - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slack 12.1 Mysql fails to load daemon mysqld - Slackware ; I saw an extensive google thread on this with about 100 posts most of which where trash talk - just a bone, no meat. While this worked fine on Slack 11 I can't figure what is wrong. My real goal ...

  1. Slack 12.1 Mysql fails to load daemon mysqld

    I saw an extensive google thread on this with about 100 posts most of
    which where trash talk - just a bone, no meat.

    While this worked fine on Slack 11 I can't figure what is wrong. My
    real goal is to install MythTV (Slackbuild) and it requires mysql to be
    running so as to create the myth DB - However I can't get the damn
    thing to start (Yes I made /etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld executable).

    It tries to start and then errors saying a PID called for an exit.

    I read a bunch of those posts and nothing I tried helped albeit it was
    a hodge podge of comments and insults.

    Can anyone clear up this issue or perhaps point me to a no nonsense
    explanation of what needs to be done to get mysqld daemon loaded?

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  2. Re: Slack 12.1 Mysql fails to load daemon mysqld

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > I saw an extensive google thread on this with about 100 posts most of
    > which where trash talk - just a bone, no meat.
    >
    > While this worked fine on Slack 11 I can't figure what is wrong. My
    > real goal is to install MythTV (Slackbuild) and it requires mysql to be
    > running so as to create the myth DB - However I can't get the damn
    > thing to start (Yes I made /etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld executable).
    >
    > It tries to start and then errors saying a PID called for an exit.
    >
    > I read a bunch of those posts and nothing I tried helped albeit it was
    > a hodge podge of comments and insults.
    >
    > Can anyone clear up this issue or perhaps point me to a no nonsense
    > explanation of what needs to be done to get mysqld daemon loaded?

    Start by looking in /var/mysql/data/.err.
    Tell us what you see there.

    Best regards,

    --
    Charles

  3. Re: Slack 12.1 Mysql fails to load daemon mysqld

    On Jul 14, 8:29 pm, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > Can anyone clear up this issue or perhaps point me to a no nonsense
    > explanation of what needs to be done to get mysqld daemon loaded?

    The needed steps are listed in the rc.mysqld script itself.

    # Before you can run MySQL, you must have a database. To install an
    initial
    # database, do this as root:
    #
    # mysql_install_db --user=mysql

  4. Re: Slack 12.1 Mysql fails to load daemon mysqld

    On 2008-07-15, Ron Gibson wrote:
    > I saw an extensive google thread on this with about 100 posts most of
    > which where trash talk - just a bone, no meat.
    >
    > While this worked fine on Slack 11 I can't figure what is wrong. My
    > real goal is to install MythTV (Slackbuild) and it requires mysql to be
    > running so as to create the myth DB - However I can't get the damn
    > thing to start (Yes I made /etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld executable).
    >
    > It tries to start and then errors saying a PID called for an exit.
    >
    > I read a bunch of those posts and nothing I tried helped albeit it was
    > a hodge podge of comments and insults.
    >
    > Can anyone clear up this issue or perhaps point me to a no nonsense
    > explanation of what needs to be done to get mysqld daemon loaded?

    meat and potatoes

    http://slackwiki.org/MySQL_Configuration

    vb

  5. Re: Slack 12.1 Mysql fails to load daemon mysqld

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Charles Polisher wrote:

    > Ron Gibson wrote:
    >> I saw an extensive google thread on this with about 100 posts most of
    >> which where trash talk - just a bone, no meat.
    >>
    >> While this worked fine on Slack 11 I can't figure what is wrong. My
    >> real goal is to install MythTV (Slackbuild) and it requires mysql to be
    >> running so as to create the myth DB - However I can't get the damn
    >> thing to start (Yes I made /etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld executable).
    >>
    >> It tries to start and then errors saying a PID called for an exit.
    >>
    >> I read a bunch of those posts and nothing I tried helped albeit it was
    >> a hodge podge of comments and insults.
    >>
    >> Can anyone clear up this issue or perhaps point me to a no nonsense
    >> explanation of what needs to be done to get mysqld daemon loaded?

    > Start by looking in /var/mysql/data/.err.
    > Tell us what you see there.

    10 to 1 it's a permissions error,

    /var/run/mysql should be owned by mysql so it can write the sock file

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
    a nicer place.

  6. Re: Slack 12.1 Mysql fails to load daemon mysqld

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:30:48 +1000, Res wrote:

    >> Start by looking in /var/mysql/data/.err.
    >> Tell us what you see there.

    > 10 to 1 it's a permissions error,

    > /var/run/mysql should be owned by mysql so it can write the sock file

    I found a guide on mysql.com - I needed to setup the initializing DB's.
    Maybe it's been too long but I don't recall having to do that in the
    past to load the daemon.

    In any event it works now, Thanks all.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  7. Re: Slack 12.1 Mysql fails to load daemon mysqld

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:30:48 +1000, Res wrote:
    >
    >>> Start by looking in /var/mysql/data/.err.
    >>> Tell us what you see there.

    >> 10 to 1 it's a permissions error,

    >> /var/run/mysql should be owned by mysql so it can write the sock file

    > I found a guide on mysql.com - I needed to setup the initializing DB's.
    > Maybe it's been too long but I don't recall having to do that in the
    > past to load the daemon.

    You've always had to do that

    In fact I'm sure rc.mysqld states it as well

    > In any event it works now, Thanks all.

    Good to here.

    --
    Cheers
    Res
    --- Usenet policy, and why I might ignore you ---
    1/ GoogleGroups are UDP'd on my nntp server. If you use them, don't
    waste your time or energy replying to me.

    2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
    a nicer place.

  8. Re: Slack 12.1 Mysql fails to load daemon mysqld

    On 2008-07-15, Vincent Batts wrote:

    > meat and potatoes
    >
    > http://slackwiki.org/MySQL_Configuration

    Yes.

    Option 1 is all that is required to get basic mysql server enabled and
    running in a std full slack 12.1 install.

    nb

  9. Re: Slack 12.1 Mysql fails to load daemon mysqld

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, notbob wrote:

    > On 2008-07-15, Vincent Batts wrote:
    >
    >> meat and potatoes
    >>
    >> http://slackwiki.org/MySQL_Configuration

    > Yes.
    >
    > Option 1 is all that is required to get basic mysql server enabled and
    > running in a std full slack 12.1 install.

    those steps are not needed, and are darn right messy, you mean you give
    a daemon a usable SHELL? *shakes head* its how it "used to be", but again
    the rc.mysqld file tells you what to do without that.

    Hrmm maybe we should modify it with a test that dies

    --
    Cheers
    Res
    --- Usenet policy, and why I might ignore you ---
    1/ GoogleGroups are UDP'd on my nntp server. If you use them, don't
    waste your time or energy replying to me.

    2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
    a nicer place.

  10. Re: Slack 12.1 Mysql fails to load daemon mysqld

    On 2008-07-17, Res wrote:

    > Hrmm maybe we should modify it with a test that dies

    Hrmm maybe you should elaborate on a better way instead of just criticizing
    like some crpytic know-it-all.

    nb

  11. Re: Slack 12.1 Mysql fails to load daemon mysqld

    Ron Gibson il 02:29, marted́ 15 luglio 2008 ha scritto:

    > I saw an extensive google thread on this with about 100 posts most of
    > which where trash talk - just a bone, no meat.
    >
    > While this worked fine on Slack 11 I can't figure what is wrong. My
    > real goal is to install MythTV (Slackbuild) and it requires mysql to be
    > running so as to create the myth DB - However I can't get the damn
    > thing to start (Yes I made /etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld executable).
    >
    > It tries to start and then errors saying a PID called for an exit.
    >
    > I read a bunch of those posts and nothing I tried helped albeit it was
    > a hodge podge of comments and insults.
    >
    > Can anyone clear up this issue or perhaps point me to a no nonsense
    > explanation of what needs to be done to get mysqld daemon loaded?

    Becamo root:

    mysql_install_db --user=mysql

    That's all folk!
    Max

    --
    Cerchi informazioni su Linux?
    Linuxpedia: http://maxint.dynalias.org

  12. Re: Slack 12.1 Mysql fails to load daemon mysqld

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008, notbob wrote:

    > On 2008-07-17, Res wrote:
    >

    >> Hrmm maybe we should modify it with a test that dies

    > Hrmm maybe you should elaborate on a better way instead of just criticizing
    > like some crpytic know-it-all.

    like I said, read the rc file... I mean why would you not read the file
    that starts it when it wont start

    --
    Cheers
    Res
    --- Usenet policy, and why I might ignore you ---
    1/ GoogleGroups are UDP'd on my nntp server. If you use them, don't
    waste your time or energy replying to me.

    2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
    a nicer place.

  13. Re: Slack 12.1 Mysql fails to load daemon mysqld

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:28:36 +0000, notbob wrote:

    >> Hrmm maybe we should modify it with a test that dies

    > Hrmm maybe you should elaborate on a better way instead of just criticizing
    > like some crpytic know-it-all.

    Yeah sometimes that is annoying. I'm a very good researcher and almost
    always find my own answers or answers for others.

    But every once in a while I, like everyone else have a "brain fart". The
    damn answer might be staring me right in the face and I can't see it.

    In other news...Man I am really kicking butt with my video and dvd
    projects as which you might know is in a real state of flux.

    I've made a few DVD's with excellent quality but am still in the stage
    of evaluating different approaches and methods. That's time consuming
    because each test you run takes about an hour, leaving not enough time
    to play UT2004 :-)

    But the results are extremely promising and are just a tad away from
    being prime time ready. This has been a rather long project, one that
    forced me to reuse winders (At least it's W2K - OS/2's grandchild) a
    lot more than I have in years. It looks like I'll be able to get back
    to a 90/10 split on time for Linux/winders respectively real soon.

    And the best thing is of all the apps and even distros I've worked on
    good ol' Slack is ahead of the pack now by several lengths!

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  14. Re: Slack 12.1 Mysql fails to load daemon mysqld

    On 2008-07-20, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > And the best thing is of all the apps and even distros I've worked on
    > good ol' Slack is ahead of the pack now by several lengths!

    agreed, Ron. I also usually research the question "unto the death", but
    sometimes get jes a tad lazy. See next post.

    nb

+ Reply to Thread