Linux drivers for networking card - Slackware

This is a discussion on Linux drivers for networking card - Slackware ; I have an old Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that I want to use for administration of a Linux internet server, but it needs an Ethernet card. A possible candidate might be the Linksys Gigabit Notebook Adaptor ( http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite? c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US %2FLayout&cid=1124916752477&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon ...

  1. Linux drivers for networking card

    I have an old Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that I want to use for
    administration of a Linux internet server, but it needs an Ethernet
    card.

    A possible candidate might be the Linksys Gigabit Notebook Adaptor
    (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?
    c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US
    %2FLayout&cid=1124916752477&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon
    %2FVisitorWrapper&lid=5247745472B03).

    However, Linksys does not provide drivers for Linux.

    How do find out whether a driver is available for a network card
    *before* you buy it.

    Many thanks for any guidance you give me.

    Vwaju
    New York City

  2. Re: Linux drivers for networking card

    Vwaju wrote:
    > How do find out whether a driver is available for a network card
    > *before* you buy it.

    If you want to be sure you can ask to test the card before buying, maybe
    by booting a live linux CD like knoppix. I'm not aware of any unsupported
    gigabit ethernet card, most network cards are well supported by Linux.
    However, wireless network cards are an exception and might not be as well
    supported.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: Linux drivers for networking card

    Vwaju wrote:

    > How do find out whether a driver is available for a network card
    > *before* you buy it.
    > Vwaju
    > New York City

    there are drivers built in, which are quite often better than those
    provided by the manufacturer. linksys, they probably use a generic
    chip, but a different set in each version of the card, so, you look
    based on model number, for instance, i have network adapters that are
    from different manufacturers, one is on the motherboard, the other on a
    card, but they both use the generic tulip driver. once you know the
    model, we can go from there.

  4. Re: Linux drivers for networking card

    jim dorey wrote:
    > there are drivers built in, which are quite often better than those
    > provided by the manufacturer. linksys, they probably use a generic
    > chip, but a different set in each version of the card, so, you look
    > based on model number, for instance, i have network adapters that are
    > from different manufacturers, one is on the motherboard, the other on a
    > card, but they both use the generic tulip driver. once you know the
    > model, we can go from there.

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...e-102.-582984/
    here, a start.

+ Reply to Thread