updatedb never terminates! - Slackware

This is a discussion on updatedb never terminates! - Slackware ; hello, * I am running Slack 12.1, and I try to do an updatedb, which never seems to finish. Last time I had a similar problem, one of my file systems was corrupted. However, when I checked this morning, all ...

  1. updatedb never terminates!

    hello, *

    I am running Slack 12.1, and I try to do an updatedb, which never seems to
    finish. Last time I had a similar problem, one of my file systems was
    corrupted. However, when I checked this morning, all file systems were
    clean.
    Suggestion, anyone?

  2. Re: updatedb never terminates!

    jjg wrote:
    > I am running Slack 12.1, and I try to do an updatedb, which never seems to
    > finish.

    You could try "strace -p" on the pid of updatedb to see what it is doing.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: updatedb never terminates!

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, jjg wrote:

    > hello, *
    >
    > I am running Slack 12.1, and I try to do an updatedb, which never seems to
    > finish. Last time I had a similar problem, one of my file systems was
    > corrupted. However, when I checked this morning, all file systems were
    > clean.
    > Suggestion, anyone?

    The first time after the install, it sure seems to take time. Of course,
    later it usually runs as a cron job late at night so you don't notice.

    Did you have any DVDs or CDs mounted at the time? I seem to recall
    doing that at least once, and it would add to the time since it's
    territory that hasn't been databased yet.

    Michael

  4. Re: updatedb never terminates!

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Michael Black wrote:

    > On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, jjg wrote:
    >
    >> hello, *
    >>
    >> I am running Slack 12.1, and I try to do an updatedb, which never seems to
    >> finish. Last time I had a similar problem, one of my file systems was
    >> corrupted. However, when I checked this morning, all file systems were
    >> clean.
    >> Suggestion, anyone?
    >>

    > The first time after the install, it sure seems to take time. Of course,
    > later it usually runs as a cron job late at night so you don't notice.
    >
    > Did you have any DVDs or CDs mounted at the time? I seem to recall
    > doing that at least once, and it would add to the time since it's territory
    > that hasn't been databased yet.

    That shouldn't matter unless updatedb.conf is botched up, by default
    updatedb will not look at NFS or CD/DVD filesystems.

    If in doubt, add something like /media and /mnt into PRUNEPATHS

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
    a nicer place.

  5. Re: updatedb never terminates!

    On 06/29/08 20:04, jjg wrote:
    > hello, *
    >
    > I am running Slack 12.1, and I try to do an updatedb, which never
    > seems to finish. Last time I had a similar problem, one of my file
    > systems was corrupted. However, when I checked this morning, all
    > file systems were clean. Suggestion, anyone?

    Do you have an NFS mounted? If the remote machine is not responding
    updatedb lasts forever.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  6. Re: updatedb never terminates!

    Hallo, jjg,

    Du meintest am 29.06.08:

    > I am running Slack 12.1, and I try to do an updatedb, which never
    > seems to finish. Last time I had a similar problem, one of my file
    > systems was corrupted. However, when I checked this morning, all file
    > systems were clean.
    > Suggestion, anyone?

    Maybe you use the original "/etc/updatedb.conf" which uses wrong
    delimiters for "PRUNEPATH" ans "FSPATH".

    "man slocate" and "man updatedb" show that "slocate" needs "," as
    delimiter, not " ".

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  7. Re: updatedb never terminates!

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > Hallo, jjg,
    >
    > Du meintest am 29.06.08:
    >
    >> I am running Slack 12.1, and I try to do an updatedb, which never
    >> seems to finish. Last time I had a similar problem, one of my file
    >> systems was corrupted. However, when I checked this morning, all file
    >> systems were clean.
    >> Suggestion, anyone?

    > Maybe you use the original "/etc/updatedb.conf" which uses wrong
    > delimiters for "PRUNEPATH" ans "FSPATH".
    >
    > "man slocate" and "man updatedb" show that "slocate" needs "," as
    > delimiter, not " ".

    I use defaults on my file servers and network backup servers and
    PRUNEFS PRUNEPATHS both work fine without commas, else my update would
    still be running when it was time to start again.

    --
    Cheers
    Res
    --- Usenet policy, and why I might ignore you ---
    1/ GoogleGroups are UDP'd on my nntp server. If you use them, don't
    waste your time or energy replying to me.

    2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
    a nicer place.

  8. Re: updatedb never terminates!

    Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > Hallo, jjg,
    >
    > Du meintest am 29.06.08:
    >
    >> I am running Slack 12.1, and I try to do an updatedb, which never
    >> seems to finish. Last time I had a similar problem, one of my file
    >> systems was corrupted. However, when I checked this morning, all file
    >> systems were clean.
    >> Suggestion, anyone?

    > Maybe you use the original "/etc/updatedb.conf" which uses wrong
    > delimiters for "PRUNEPATH" ans "FSPATH".
    >
    > "man slocate" and "man updatedb" show that "slocate" needs "," as
    > delimiter, not " ".

    Well, I changed the spaces into commas, but updatedb still hangs ;-)

  9. Re: updatedb never terminates!

    jjg wrote:

    > hello, *
    >
    > I am running Slack 12.1, and I try to do an updatedb, which never seems to
    > finish. Last time I had a similar problem, one of my file systems was
    > corrupted. However, when I checked this morning, all file systems were
    > clean.
    > Suggestion, anyone?

    Update: in ps ax I see the process running updatedb in state D
    (uninterruptable sleep). It never wakes up, that seems clear.
    Worse yet, if I do a shutdown now -r the system restarts allright, but it
    does not seem to bother to unmount the file systems...

  10. Re: updatedb never terminates!

    jjg wrote:
    > Update: in ps ax I see the process running updatedb in state D
    > (uninterruptable sleep). It never wakes up, that seems clear.

    So it is waiting for disk. Do you see any disk related error messages from
    dmesg?

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  11. Re: updatedb never terminates!

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > jjg wrote:
    >> Update: in ps ax I see the process running updatedb in state D
    >> (uninterruptable sleep). It never wakes up, that seems clear.

    > So it is waiting for disk. Do you see any disk related error messages from
    > dmesg?
    >
    > regards Henrik

    No. But I dismounted my USB disk this time, and updatedb terminated OK.
    Well, I guess that is the cause of the problem... I suspect that the (VFAT)
    file system on it is not exactly clean, but I have insufficient space to
    repair it :-(

  12. Re: updatedb never terminates!

    jjg wrote :

    > I suspect that the (VFAT) file system on it is not exactly clean, but
    > I have insufficient space to repair it :-(

    You could add the vfat filesystem to the PRUNEFS line in
    /etc/updatedb.conf
    --
    Thomas O.

  13. Re: updatedb never terminates!

    Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > jjg wrote :
    >
    >> I suspect that the (VFAT) file system on it is not exactly clean, but
    >> I have insufficient space to repair it :-(

    > You could add the vfat filesystem to the PRUNEFS line in
    > /etc/updatedb.conf

    Good idea. I have done that. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread