Trying to get wireless to work on my laptop - Slackware

This is a discussion on Trying to get wireless to work on my laptop - Slackware ; I bought a Dell D600 laptop and it came with no wireless card. I bought a Belkin F5D6020 ver.2 PCMCIA card. I am trying to make it work in Slackware 12. I tried downloading the driver file for it but ...

  1. Trying to get wireless to work on my laptop

    I bought a Dell D600 laptop and it came with no wireless card. I bought a Belkin
    F5D6020 ver.2 PCMCIA card. I am trying to make it work in Slackware 12.
    I tried downloading the driver file for it but was unable to find it.
    I find that with the card plugged in it lights up both lights. I think this
    means it is powered up and that it sees some wireless signals. Maybe I am wrong
    but I also noticed that when I pulled the card out of its slot with the laptop
    running I get to see a message saying:
    # eth1: firmware atmel_at76c502e.bin is missing, cannot start.
    I googled around and found this file.
    Where does it belong in my laptop in Slackware 12?
    Thanks.
    --
    Leon
    A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

  2. Re: Trying to get wireless to work on my laptop

    Leon Whyte wrote :

    > Where does it belong in my laptop in Slackware 12?

    I'm pretty sure it should be installed in /lib/firmware/
    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: Trying to get wireless to work on my laptop

    Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    > Leon Whyte wrote :
    >
    >> Where does it belong in my laptop in Slackware 12?

    > I'm pretty sure it should be installed in /lib/firmware/

    Thanks much.
    It looks like that is the correct place for the file as I now have one led lit
    for power and the other winking.
    It sees my router now using kwifimanager but still no dhcp.
    Gonna look around for a bit and see if I can figure things out.
    Thanks again.

    --
    Leon
    A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
    < running Linux >

  4. Re: Trying to get wireless to work on my laptop

    Leon Whyte wrote :

    > Gonna look around for a bit and see if I can figure things out.

    Take a look at the wireless section in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf
    --
    Thomas O.