where is MAKEDEV in slackware 12 - Slackware

This is a discussion on where is MAKEDEV in slackware 12 - Slackware ; hello I need to create some sd* devices for usb disks but somehow MAKEDEV is nowhere to be found root@slack_server:/dev# locate MAKEDEV /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/MAKEDEV /usr/man/man8/MAKEDEV.8.gz root@slack_server:/dev# I went through /dev dir also. There is no script. Is it ok or I ...

  1. where is MAKEDEV in slackware 12

    hello

    I need to create some sd* devices for usb disks but somehow MAKEDEV is
    nowhere to be found

    root@slack_server:/dev# locate MAKEDEV
    /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/MAKEDEV
    /usr/man/man8/MAKEDEV.8.gz
    root@slack_server:/dev#

    I went through /dev dir also. There is no script.

    Is it ok or I do sth wrong?

    Thank you

  2. Re: where is MAKEDEV in slackware 12

    Hallo, =SERGE=,

    Du meintest am 28.06.08:

    > I need to create some sd* devices for usb disks but somehow MAKEDEV
    > is nowhere to be found

    You find it in the "a/devs" package.

    But "udev" deletes the program - I've moved it to "/usr/sbin" on my
    system.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  3. Re: where is MAKEDEV in slackware 12

    Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > But "udev" deletes the program - I've moved it to "/usr/sbin" on my
    > system.

    Is it even necessary with udev?

    - Kurt

  4. Re: where is MAKEDEV in slackware 12

    Hallo, ~kurt,

    Du meintest am 28.06.08:

    >> But "udev" deletes the program - I've moved it to "/usr/sbin" on my
    >> system.

    > Is it even necessary with udev?

    It is. Some devices have to be present before "udev" runs, and "udev"
    doesn't make all necessary devices (p.e. ISDN devices).

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  5. Re: where is MAKEDEV in slackware 12

    On 2008-06-28, Helmut Hullen wrote:
    > Hallo, ~kurt,
    >
    > Du meintest am 28.06.08:
    >
    >>> But "udev" deletes the program - I've moved it to "/usr/sbin" on my
    >>> system.

    >> Is it even necessary with udev?

    > It is. Some devices have to be present before "udev" runs, and "udev"
    > doesn't make all necessary devices (p.e. ISDN devices).

    Then copy them to /lib/udev/devices/ and you won't have to make them
    manually any more.

    -RW

  6. Re: where is MAKEDEV in slackware 12

    Well Old habits die hard you know...
    "~kurt" wrote in message
    news:ftydnSWMMJ0f9vvVnZ2dnUVZ_trinZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    > Helmut Hullen wrote:
    >>
    >> But "udev" deletes the program - I've moved it to "/usr/sbin" on my
    >> system.
    >>

    > Is it even necessary with udev?
    >
    > - Kurt

  7. Re: where is MAKEDEV in slackware 12

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 11:49:06 -0500, ~kurt wrote:

    >> But "udev" deletes the program - I've moved it to "/usr/sbin" on my
    >> system.

    > Is it even necessary with udev?

    No assuming udev works properly. Sometime back Gentoo was using a
    hybrid setup where udev would do it's thing but the system would also
    pack and archive the /dev directory just in case.

    Also sometimes I've ran into problems trying to chroot to a mounted
    distro from another distro. It would fail because the proper device
    wasn't there. A lot of distros only make 16 IDE nodes by default. Since
    when you chroot you don't actually run the init scripts for udev on the
    mounted partition you may end up without a node if you have a partition
    greater than 16, e.g., /dev/hde18

    If you have a archive for /dev/you can simply copy the node you need
    over to the device tree and then you can chroot to the target distro.

    BTW, just upgraded from 11 to 12.1 and am loving it. Fastest upgrade I
    ever have done (I got a lot of stuff). And for once TT fonts didn't
    take a ton of hacking to get them to look right. In fact this is the
    best my browser fonts have ever looked and it's more or less straight
    out of the box.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  8. Re: where is MAKEDEV in slackware 12

    Helmut Hullen wrote:
    > But "udev" deletes the program - I've moved it to "/usr/sbin" on my
    > system.

    It doesn't "delete" it, but the "udev" filesystem is mounted OVER the
    original contents of /dev, so the installed files (and devices) are
    only visible as long as udev is NOT running.

    When you stop udev you will see the original contents of /dev again.
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  9. Re: where is MAKEDEV in slackware 12

+ Reply to Thread