P a - Slackware

This is a discussion on P a - Slackware ; Hello, I running Slackware 12.0 with sendmail. I use a cable modem with DHCP. Recently many of my outgoing mail has been returned because of a spam blocker. I was told I should use the cable modem companies mail exchange; ...

  1. P a

    Hello,

    I running Slackware 12.0 with sendmail. I use a cable modem with DHCP.
    Recently many of my outgoing mail has been returned because of a spam
    blocker. I was told I should use the cable modem companies mail
    exchange; some spam blockers are sensitive to DHCP addresseses. I
    should, he said, use the mail exchange

    cdptpa-smtpin01.mail.rr.com

    OK, can anyone tell me how to do that?

    Thanks in advance

    King Lee
    klee12@yahoo.com

  2. Re: P a

    Hallo, klee12,

    Du meintest am 27.06.08:

    > I running Slackware 12.0 with sendmail. I use a cable modem with
    > DHCP. Recently many of my outgoing mail has been returned because of
    > a spam blocker. I was told I should use the cable modem companies
    > mail exchange;

    That's nonsense - sorry.
    Using a cable modem has no special effect on your actually chosen mail
    host.

    And this problem is not related to slackware.

    > some spam blockers are sensitive to DHCP addresseses.
    > I should, he said, use the mail exchange

    > cdptpa-smtpin01.mail.rr.com

    That's much more nonsense.
    "rr.com" is listed in many lists for spamming.

    > King Lee
    > klee12@yahoo.com

    That looks like a yahoo mail account - have you used this account when
    you got so many returned mail?

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  3. Re: P a

    In article
    <1c65cbfb-9d82-44d4-a3de-985a6f7585a7@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    klee12 wrote:

    > I running Slackware 12.0 with sendmail. I use a cable modem with DHCP.
    > Recently many of my outgoing mail has been returned because of a spam
    > blocker. I was told I should use the cable modem companies mail
    > exchange; some spam blockers are sensitive to DHCP addresseses. I
    > should, he said, use the mail exchange
    >
    > cdptpa-smtpin01.mail.rr.com
    >
    > OK, can anyone tell me how to do that?

    In /usr/share/sendmail/cf/cf/sendmail-slackware.mc (or in whatever .mc
    file you keep the source code to your current configuration), there is
    a SMART_HOST directive. Uncomment it to use the server you indicated,
    like this:

    dnl# Uncomment the line below to send outgoing mail through an external server:
    define(`SMART_HOST',` cdptpa-smtpin01.mail.rr.com')

    Then build a .cf file out of that .mc file:

    ../Build sendmail-slackware.mc

    Copy the resulting .cf file into /etc/mail/sendmail.cf and then restart
    sendmail. It should now relay all outgoing mail through the indicated
    smarthost.

    Note that there is a comp.mail.sendmail newsgroup.

    - Martijn

  4. Re: P a

    In article ,
    helmut@hullen.de (Helmut Hullen) wrote:

    > Hallo, klee12,
    >
    > Du meintest am 27.06.08:
    >
    > > I running Slackware 12.0 with sendmail. I use a cable modem with
    > > DHCP. Recently many of my outgoing mail has been returned because of
    > > a spam blocker. I was told I should use the cable modem companies
    > > mail exchange;

    > That's nonsense - sorry.
    > Using a cable modem has no special effect on your actually chosen mail
    > host.

    You misunderstood the problem. Due to the spam situation, most major
    email providers now block mail that is sent directly by residential
    (often dynamically assigned) IP addresses, such as those assigned to
    cable modems. Mail relayed through the ISP's smarthost has a much higher
    chance of being delivered.

    - M.

  5. Re: P a

    On Sat, 27 Jun 2008, Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > Hallo, klee12,
    >
    > Du meintest am 27.06.08:
    >
    >> I running Slackware 12.0 with sendmail. I use a cable modem with
    >> DHCP. Recently many of my outgoing mail has been returned because of
    >> a spam blocker. I was told I should use the cable modem companies
    >> mail exchange;

    > That's nonsense - sorry.

    B.S it is... home users also catergorised as DUL have in general no real
    reason for directly sending out emails, and dul rbl's are commonly used in
    many parts of the world to reject dul's, in a world rid of spam and scum,
    we would not have to take this action, but thats living in the past, like
    15 years ago, in todays environment, its easier to reject them saying use
    your ISP's mail server either directly or as a 'smart host', also some
    ISP's block inbound and outbound port 25 to user pools completely, only
    permitting the ISP's respective mail servers (or direct NOC) ranges.

    >> some spam blockers are sensitive to DHCP addresseses.
    >> I should, he said, use the mail exchange

    >> cdptpa-smtpin01.mail.rr.com

    > That's much more nonsense.
    > "rr.com" is listed in many lists for spamming.

    That particular server is blocked in a couple of "SMALL" immaterial RBL's
    its not in the commonly used ones by ISP's like spamhaus, spamcop, sorbs
    or njabl.

    please get a clue about how ISP's act before you attack a poster calling
    everything they say nonsense.

    furthermore, many ISP's including mine also use regex's to deny
    access to anything that resembles a home user... dial, cable, dsl and a
    few other commonly used hostmark styles.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
    a nicer place.

  6. Re: P a

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 22:49:51 +0200, Martijn Dekker wrote:

    > In article
    > <1c65cbfb-9d82-44d4-a3de-985a6f7585a7@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    > klee12 wrote:
    >
    >> I running Slackware 12.0 with sendmail. I use a cable modem with DHCP.
    >> Recently many of my outgoing mail has been returned because of a spam
    >> blocker. I was told I should use the cable modem companies mail
    >> exchange; some spam blockers are sensitive to DHCP addresseses. I
    >> should, he said, use the mail exchange
    >>
    >> cdptpa-smtpin01.mail.rr.com
    >>
    >> OK, can anyone tell me how to do that?

    > In /usr/share/sendmail/cf/cf/sendmail-slackware.mc (or in whatever .mc
    > file you keep the source code to your current configuration), there is a
    > SMART_HOST directive. Uncomment it to use the server you indicated, like
    > this:
    >
    > dnl# Uncomment the line below to send outgoing mail through an external
    > server: define(`SMART_HOST',` cdptpa-smtpin01.mail.rr.com')
    >
    > Then build a .cf file out of that .mc file:
    >
    > ./Build sendmail-slackware.mc
    >
    > Copy the resulting .cf file into /etc/mail/sendmail.cf and then restart
    > sendmail. It should now relay all outgoing mail through the indicated
    > smarthost.

    Correct, and if the OP doesn't like the idea to modify
    and or ./Build there's an even lighter way:
    $ su -
    # cd /etc/mail
    # echo ".cdptpa-smtpin01.mail.rr.com" >> mailertable
    # make
    # exit

    (of course the '' implies a "real TAB key press :-)

    Note that if there were existing mailertable rules they'll
    be maintained, but I doubt there were or the OP wouldn't
    have posted his questions ;-)

  7. Re: P a

    Thanks Martijn Dekker for your suggestion. I finally got it working.
    It turns out that the smtp server name I originally had was not a
    correct one. It might have been a relay server. And when I got the
    correct name of the server from the cable company, I misspelled it.
    Well, it works now and I'm fairly confident I'll get fewer messages
    rejected as spam. I sent an empty message which was returned as spam
    previously when I didn't use the ISP smtp server, but it's going
    through now with the ISP smtp server.

    Martijn Dekker also wrote < newsgroup.>> I like this group because (1) generally get good answers
    here from very knowledgeable people ( and I deeply appreciate their
    spending the time answering questions) and (2) distributions put there
    stuff in different places i.e. /usr/share/sendmail/cf/cf for
    Slackware, probably somewhere else for Debian. There may be other
    differences.

    Thanks also to loki harfagre for your suggestion. I got it working by
    building the sendmail.cf before seeing your suggestion.

    King Lee
    klee12@alum.mit.edu

+ Reply to Thread