Installing 12.0 from 10.1 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Installing 12.0 from 10.1 - Slackware ; This is related to my previous post [1]. I downloaded 12.0 file-by-file (because I'm on dial-up; an ISO image is a wee bit too much) and now find that I can't get it to install. I've tried: 1. Booting from ...

  1. Installing 12.0 from 10.1

    This is related to my previous post [1].

    I downloaded 12.0 file-by-file (because I'm on dial-up; an ISO image is
    a wee bit too much) and now find that I can't get it to install. I've
    tried:

    1. Booting from the 10.1 CD and using that installer.
    Result: Refuses to install glibc 2.5 from a 2.4 kernel.
    2. As above, without installing glibc, then "installing" glibc via 'cd
    /12root && tar -xvf /slack12/.../glibc-whatever.tgz'.
    Result: System boots, but init can't find agetty (or anything else,
    for that matter).
    3. Booting to a 2.6 kernel in my 10.1 install and using pkgtool.
    Result: Nothing, AFAIK. pkgtool apparently does nothing, even after
    several hours. (Possibly I'm doing something wrong, but I rather
    doubt it.)

    My system apparently isn't able to boot from USB (or at least I haven't
    figured out how), so that's not an option. Do I have any other options,
    or do I *need* to download an ISO?

    If it matters, I downloaded everything in all packages except kdei
    (because I stick with Engrish under Linux).

    [1] http://tinyurl.com/576qq6 -> Google groups

    --
    Rocks fall! Everyone dies!

  2. Re: Installing 12.0 from 10.1

    Auric__ wrote:

    > I downloaded 12.0 file-by-file (because I'm on dial-up; an ISO image is
    > a wee bit too much) and now find that I can't get it to install. I've
    > tried:

    Can you just order an iso from a place like ?
    It seems like the easiest solution.

    - Kurt

  3. Re: Installing 12.0 from 10.1

    "Auric__" wrote:
    > I downloaded 12.0 file-by-file (because I'm on dial-up; an ISO image is
    > a wee bit too much) and now find that I can't get it to install. I've
    > tried:

    If you have all the files, why don't you simply build your own 12.0 iso
    image from those files instead of trying to use an old installation media?
    There are instructions on how to create your own iso in
    isolinux/README.TXT.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  4. Re: Installing 12.0 from 10.1

    "Auric__" wrote in message
    > This is related to my previous post [1].
    >
    > I downloaded 12.0 file-by-file (because I'm on dial-up; an ISO image is
    > a wee bit too much) and now find that I can't get it to install. I've
    > tried:
    >
    > 1. Booting from the 10.1 CD and using that installer.
    > Result: Refuses to install glibc 2.5 from a 2.4 kernel.
    > 2. As above, without installing glibc, then "installing" glibc via 'cd
    > /12root && tar -xvf /slack12/.../glibc-whatever.tgz'.
    > Result: System boots, but init can't find agetty (or anything else,
    > for that matter).
    > 3. Booting to a 2.6 kernel in my 10.1 install and using pkgtool.
    > Result: Nothing, AFAIK. pkgtool apparently does nothing, even after
    > several hours. (Possibly I'm doing something wrong, but I rather
    > doubt it.)
    >
    > My system apparently isn't able to boot from USB (or at least I haven't
    > figured out how), so that's not an option. Do I have any other options,
    > or do I *need* to download an ISO?
    >
    > If it matters, I downloaded everything in all packages except kdei
    > (because I stick with Engrish under Linux).
    >
    > [1] http://tinyurl.com/576qq6 -> Google groups
    >
    > --
    > Rocks fall! Everyone dies!

    If you want to do a clean install, follow the directions (it's about 12.1,
    not 12.0 as you asked, but probably similar) follow the directions of Kees
    Theunissen on June 19.

    Tim

  5. Re: Installing 12.0 from 10.1

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 00:55:51 GMT, ~kurt wrote:

    > Auric__ wrote:
    >
    >> I downloaded 12.0 file-by-file (because I'm on dial-up; an ISO
    >> image is a wee bit too much) and now find that I can't get it to
    >> install. I've tried:

    > Can you just order an iso from a place like
    > ? It seems like the easiest solution.

    My finances are extremely limited. *Extremely*. Internet access is my
    "optional" spending for the month.

    --
    And God smiled upon his creation and said, this rocks omg.

  6. Re: Installing 12.0 from 10.1

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 05:57:15 GMT, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > "Auric__" wrote:
    >> I downloaded 12.0 file-by-file (because I'm on dial-up; an ISO
    >> image is a wee bit too much) and now find that I can't get it to
    >> install. I've tried:

    > If you have all the files, why don't you simply build your own
    > 12.0 iso image from those files instead of trying to use an old
    > installation media? There are instructions on how to create your
    > own iso in isolinux/README.TXT.

    No burner. I'd have to jump through hoops to get it up-n-running.

    --
    And God smiled upon his creation and said, this rocks omg.

  7. Re: Installing 12.0 from 10.1

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:34:15 GMT, Tim wrote:

    > "Auric__" wrote in message
    >> This is related to my previous post [1].
    >>
    >> I downloaded 12.0 file-by-file (because I'm on dial-up; an ISO
    >> image is a wee bit too much) and now find that I can't get it to
    >> install. I've tried:

    [snip]

    > If you want to do a clean install, follow the directions (it's
    > about 12.1, not 12.0 as you asked, but probably similar) follow
    > the directions of Kees Theunissen on June 19.

    Awesome. Thanks for the pointer; how I missed that, I don't know. I'll
    try it tonight and report success/failure tomorrow.

    --
    Your presence causes a mental breakdown.

  8. Re: Installing 12.0 from 10.1

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Auric__ wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 05:57:15 GMT, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >
    >> "Auric__" wrote:
    >>> I downloaded 12.0 file-by-file (because I'm on dial-up; an ISO
    >>> image is a wee bit too much) and now find that I can't get it to
    >>> install. I've tried:

    >> If you have all the files, why don't you simply build your own
    >> 12.0 iso image from those files instead of trying to use an old
    >> installation media? There are instructions on how to create your
    >> own iso in isolinux/README.TXT.

    > No burner. I'd have to jump through hoops to get it up-n-running.

    But you can turn the files into an ISO and keep it on the hard drive,
    installing from there.

    I'm not sure, though, why you might have a problem installing via
    files. Once you mount the ISO (obviously usually in the form of
    a CD or DVD), there is no difference between the individual files
    on that CD/DVD or if they were on a hard drive.

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread