I have a Dell Latitude D520 laptop with an parallel port Iomega Zip100
drive. This laptop has a serial ata drive sda.I have Slackware 10.2
with a 2.6.19 kernel installed and CONFIG_SCSI_IMM = m compiled ( syslog
says "imm:Version 2.05 ( for linux 2.4.0 )"). I have had this set up
for about a year using my old diskettes formatted from my old hda laptop
at /dev/hdd1 and have been able to mount these zip diskettes with the
command - "mount -t ext2 /dev/sdc1 /zip". It has worked perfectly until
now. I did not unmount cleanly recently and when I tried e2fsck I get a
message that there is no such file /dev/sdc1. This message is correct
because /dev/sdc1 has been erased!. When I mknod /dev/sdc1 -b 8 33 and
try to fdisk/format a new zip diskette I get the same message because
the file has again been erased somehow. Mounting can still be
accomplished even when no /dev/sdc1 file is present.

I used the zip drive on my old Dell desktop to e2fsck /dev/hdd1 that
diskette and it works fine now but I have no way to format a new
diskette nor run e2fsck from this laptop.

Can anyone suggest a way I can straighten this out?

Bob