Suggestion for Slackware - webdav related - Slackware

This is a discussion on Suggestion for Slackware - webdav related - Slackware ; Not sure what to do with this suggestion but (no rude answers please). Apache package ought to create directory /usr/var with user and group apache.apache (apache.root perhaps?) so that if webdav is enabled in the apache config somewhere exists for ...

  1. Suggestion for Slackware - webdav related

    Not sure what to do with this suggestion but (no rude answers please).

    Apache package ought to create directory /usr/var with user and group
    apache.apache (apache.root perhaps?) so that if webdav is enabled in the
    apache config somewhere exists for the dav lock file.

    or davlock path in /etc/http/extra/http-dav.conf ought to point to somewhere
    more appropriate where it has write permission.

    Note, I'm not going as far as suggesting that the example in the config file
    is fully enabled - thought that is a thought.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  2. Re: Suggestion for Slackware - webdav related

    On Jun 24, 1:27*pm, Peter Chant
    wrote:
    > Not sure what to do with this suggestion but (no rude answers please).
    >
    > Apache package ought to create directory /usr/var with user and group

    I don't think it will create /usr/var but will create /var/www/
    htdocs

    /var/www/htdocs will have ownership root.root

  3. Re: Suggestion for Slackware - webdav related

    trryhend@gmail.com wrote:

    >> Apache package ought to create directory /usr/var with user and group

    > I don't think it will create /usr/var but will create /var/www/
    > htdocs
    >
    > /var/www/htdocs will have ownership root.root

    I think that we at cross purposes. I'm suggesting an amendment to the
    install script in the package i.e.

    mkdir /usr/var
    chown apache.apache /usr/var
    chmod 775 /usr/var

    Webdav needs this directory so it would be a little neater if the package
    included it, or if created somewhere else the webdav config were amended.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  4. Re: Suggestion for Slackware - webdav related

    Hallo, Peter,

    Du meintest am 27.06.08:

    >> /var/www/htdocs will have ownership root.root

    > I think that we at cross purposes. I'm suggesting an amendment to
    > the install script in the package i.e.

    > mkdir /usr/var
    > chown apache.apache /usr/var
    > chmod 775 /usr/var

    That's no good idea.
    "/usr/var" hosts many subdirectories, not only one.
    The special subdir may be owned by apache:apache. But you get other
    problems if you change owner or rights of "/usr/var".

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  5. Re: Suggestion for Slackware - webdav related

    Hallo, Peter,

    Du meintest am 24.06.08:

    > Not sure what to do with this suggestion but (no rude answers
    > please).

    > Apache package ought to create directory /usr/var with user and group
    > apache.apache (apache.root perhaps?) so that if webdav is enabled in
    > the apache config somewhere exists for the dav lock file.

    Who suggests this nonsense?
    "/usr" and subdirs may be mounted "ro" - there should be no rw dir or
    file.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  6. Re: Suggestion for Slackware - webdav related

    Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > Who suggests this nonsense?
    > "/usr" and subdirs may be mounted "ro" - there should be no rw dir or
    > file.

    #
    # The User/Group specified in httpd.conf needs to have write permissions
    # on the directory where the DavLockDB is placed and on any directory where
    # "Dav On" is specified.

    #Note from pete - need to make that directory...
    DavLockDB "/usr/var/DavLock"

    #Alias /uploads "/usr/uploads"
    #
    #
    # Dav On

    Straight from /etc/httpd/extra/httpd-dav.confm the only bit I changed was to
    add the comment #Note from pete...

    Same comment applies to the upload directory. Would make more sense if it
    was somewhere in /var, change the dav config file to point
    to /var/lock/httpd perhaps, create that and give it write permission for
    apache?

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  7. Re: Suggestion for Slackware - webdav related

    Helmut Hullen wrote:
    > That's no good idea.
    > "/usr/var" hosts many subdirectories, not only one.
    > The special subdir may be owned by apache:apache. But you get other
    > problems if you change owner or rights of "/usr/var".

    On my slack 12.1 instalation it did not exist - so by definition it was more
    than empty. However, yes it is a bit odd.

    Pete
    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread