sound problem in 12.1 - Slackware

This is a discussion on sound problem in 12.1 - Slackware ; hi The sound works fine in audacious, amarok etc... but not in tv capturing applications. I have a leadtek tv2000 expert tv card. The sound is connected to the cd input on the motherboard. The sound card is Realtek ALC888. ...

  1. sound problem in 12.1

    hi

    The sound works fine in audacious, amarok etc... but not in tv
    capturing applications.
    I have a leadtek tv2000 expert tv card. The sound is connected to the
    cd input on the motherboard.
    The sound card is Realtek ALC888.

    tvtime says:
    mixer: Can't open device /dev/mixer, mixer volume and mute
    unavailable.
    sound device is set to /dev/mixer:cd

    and xawtv:
    open(/dev/dsp): No such file or directory

    ls /dev/snd/
    controlC0 hwC0D0 pcmC0D0c pcmC0D0p pcmC0D1p pcmC0D2c timer

    lsmod | grep snd
    snd_hda_intel 289052 2
    snd_pcm 72068 1 snd_hda_intel
    snd_timer 22532 1 snd_pcm
    snd_page_alloc 11528 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    snd_hwdep 10756 1 snd_hda_intel
    snd 47716 8
    snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
    soundcore 9824 1 snd

  2. Re: sound problem in 12.1

    zelans@gmail.com wrote:
    > tvtime says:
    > mixer: Can't open device /dev/mixer, mixer volume and mute unavailable.
    > sound device is set to /dev/mixer:cd
    >
    > and xawtv:
    > open(/dev/dsp): No such file or directory

    /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer are the old OSS interfaces.

    > ls /dev/snd/
    > controlC0 hwC0D0 pcmC0D0c pcmC0D0p pcmC0D1p pcmC0D2c timer

    /dev/snd is the new ALSA interfaces.

    > lsmod | grep snd

    It seems as if you are missing the oss compability modules. I have no
    experience from Slackware 12.1, but in Slackware 12.0 those modules are
    loaded by default from /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa with the following lines:

    echo "Loading OSS compatibility modules for ALSA."
    modprobe snd-pcm-oss
    modprobe snd-mixer-oss
    modprobe snd-seq-oss

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: sound problem in 12.1

    You may need to login as root once in order for the system to be able
    to create the /dev/dsp etc.

  4. Re: sound problem in 12.1

    jessbody@gmail.com wrote:
    > You may need to login as root once in order for the system to be able
    > to create the /dev/dsp etc.

    Huh?

    - Kurt

+ Reply to Thread