Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience - Slackware ; Chaps, FX5200 (agp) based card. How are everyone else's experiences? Downloaded NVIDIA drivers as have done in past. Current version will not build. Older version does. Kernel module will not load, compliler version missmatch apparently between 12.1 gcc and that ...

  1. Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience

    Chaps,

    FX5200 (agp) based card.

    How are everyone else's experiences? Downloaded NVIDIA drivers as have done
    in past. Current version will not build. Older version does. Kernel
    module will not load, compliler version missmatch apparently between 12.1
    gcc and that used to compile the module - or a short list of other reasons.

    Now after depmod -a ing a few times all modules bar those required by
    iptables appear to load. Decide to rebuild kernel. However, idiotically
    run make mrprorper which deletes PV's config. Suppost I will have to
    reinstall (at least .config) from the kernel source. Compile the kernel.
    Update initrd.gz, re-run lilo and then either rerun the nvidia slackbuilds
    I tried or re-run the plan (older) nvidia installer.

    Anyone else have a similar problems or is it just me?

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  2. Re: Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience

    "Peter Chant" wrote in message news:...
    > How are everyone else's experiences? Downloaded NVIDIA drivers as have
    > done
    > in past. Current version will not build. Older version does. Kernel
    > module will not load, compliler version missmatch apparently between 12.1
    > gcc and that used to compile the module - or a short list of other
    > reasons.

    What version kernel? If 2.6.25 or later you may want to look at..

    Something changed in the kernel releases post-2.6.25 that requires a patch
    to the installer.

    -r

  3. Re: Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience

    "~kurt" wrote in message
    news:zpCdnQ0df5wRL8PVnZ2dnUVZ_v_inZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    > Peter Chant wrote:
    > I don't believe PV's .config is stored in /usr/src/linux. I know some of
    > the .config files are stored in /boot.

    The kernel config file .config is stored in /usr/src/ (which may
    be symlinked to by /usr/src/linux). you may still have a copy of the config
    you can retrieve if you have the config module built. look to see if you
    have the file /proc/config.gz. if so, 'gzip -cd /proc/config.gz' will spit
    out the config of the running kernel. if /proc/config.gz isn't there try
    'modprobe config' to see if it shows up.

    -r

  4. Re: Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience

    Peter Chant wrote:

    > How are everyone else's experiences? Downloaded NVIDIA drivers as have done
    > in past. Current version will not build. Older version does. Kernel
    > module will not load, compliler version missmatch apparently between 12.1
    > gcc and that used to compile the module - or a short list of other reasons.

    I installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run with no issues under 12.1.
    This was done using the huge-smp kernel, and a recompiled one based of the
    config for that kernel.

    > Now after depmod -a ing a few times all modules bar those required by
    > iptables appear to load. Decide to rebuild kernel. However, idiotically
    > run make mrprorper which deletes PV's config. Suppost I will have to

    I don't believe PV's .config is stored in /usr/src/linux. I know some of
    the .config files are stored in /boot.

    - Kurt

  5. Re: Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience

    Peter Chant wrote:

    > Anyone else have a similar problems or is it just me?

    Using the standard generic-smp kernel that comes with Slackware-12.1,
    NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.05-pkg1 built and installed without any problem for
    me.

    Jeffrey

  6. Re: Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience

    Peter Chant wrote:

    > FX5200 (agp) based card.
    >
    > How are everyone else's experiences? Downloaded NVIDIA drivers as have done
    > in past. Current version will not build. Older version does. Kernel
    > module will not load, compliler version missmatch apparently between 12.1
    > gcc and that used to compile the module - or a short list of other reasons.

    I'm running a 4 years old system with a nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x
    video card.

    Under Slackware 12.0 I installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9629-pkg1.run.
    After upgrading to Slackware 12.1 I had some trouble installing the/a
    nVidia driver.
    First I tried to update the driver with: "nvidia-installer --update".
    This failed to locate and download the latest driver. An attempt to
    just recompile a kernel module and use the existing driver with
    "nvidia-installer -K" failed to compile the module.

    Visiting the nVidia website, selecting the proper driver for my card,
    and downloading and installing NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.05-pkg1.run
    solved all problems.

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  7. Re: Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience

    No Body wrote:
    > "~kurt" wrote in message
    > news:zpCdnQ0df5wRL8PVnZ2dnUVZ_v_inZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    >> Peter Chant wrote:
    >> I don't believe PV's .config is stored in /usr/src/linux. I know some of
    >> the .config files are stored in /boot.

    > The kernel config file .config is stored in /usr/src/ (which may
    > be symlinked to by /usr/src/linux). you may still have a copy of the config

    That config file seems to match /boot/config-generic-smp-2.6.24.5-smp - that
    surprses me. I figured the installed source just be the linux source extracted
    to a directory. The config file doesn't match the kernel that was installed
    on my system by default though, so it probably wouldn't be a good place to
    start.

    > you can retrieve if you have the config module built. look to see if you
    > have the file /proc/config.gz. if so, 'gzip -cd /proc/config.gz' will spit
    > out the config of the running kernel. if /proc/config.gz isn't there try
    > 'modprobe config' to see if it shows up.

    Now that is just nifty. I seem to recall some talk of adding something like
    this many years ago so it would be easy to get a config file that works
    given a currently working/running kernel - never remembered to follow up
    on that. When I started with Red Hat a decade ago, I don't believe they
    supplied the config file, so when you had to recompile for some reason,
    you had to step through all the options during the menuconfig phase. It
    was not always obvious what should be turned on and off, and there were
    a lot of options to go through. The config phase took a lot longer than
    compiling the kernel on those old machines. I believe Slackware has been
    supplying the config files used for the different kernels for a long time
    now, but only recently dumping them in /boot.

    - Kurt

  8. Re: Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience

    No Body wrote:

    > "Peter Chant" wrote in message news:...
    >> How are everyone else's experiences? Downloaded NVIDIA drivers as have
    >> done
    >> in past. Current version will not build. Older version does. Kernel
    >> module will not load, compliler version missmatch apparently between 12.1
    >> gcc and that used to compile the module - or a short list of other
    >> reasons.

    > What version kernel? If 2.6.25 or later you may want to look at..
    >
    > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110088
    >
    > Something changed in the kernel releases post-2.6.25 that requires a patch
    > to the installer.
    >
    > -r

    Thanks, will try.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  9. Re: Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience

    ~kurt wrote:

    > I installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run with no issues under 12.1.
    > This was done using the huge-smp kernel, and a recompiled one based of the
    > config for that kernel.

    Trying standard non-SMP kernel.

    > I don't believe PV's .config is stored in /usr/src/linux. I know some of
    > the .config files are stored in /boot.

    Rings a bell - completely forgot that. So copying that to /usr/src/linux
    should do the trick (with make oldconfig to keep it tidy).

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  10. Re: Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:13:16 +0200, Kees Theunissen wrote:

    > Visiting the nVidia website, selecting the proper driver for my card,
    > and downloading and installing NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.05-pkg1.run
    > solved all problems.

    This is the key factor with Nvidia drivers. You must use the correct
    "branch". The newest driver only supports the last few GPU's released,
    generally the higher-end stuff (GeForce 7/8/9 series, I think). For older
    cards, there are two branches of the "Legacy" driver, one for fairly old
    cards, and one for very old cards.

    Newest driver current version: 173.14.09
    The two Legacy branches: 1.0-96xx and 1.0-71xx

    More info here:

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he declared his horse a Senator.

  11. Re: Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience

    Dan C wrote:

    > Newest driver current version: 173.14.09
    > The two Legacy branches: 1.0-96xx and 1.0-71xx
    >
    > More info here:
    >
    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html

    Hmm, the website showed the latest and one previous when I looked. THe
    older one built but would not load. The newer one would not build. Pity
    it was not clearer.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  12. Re: Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 19:37:32 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:

    >> Newest driver current version: 173.14.09
    >> The two Legacy branches: 1.0-96xx and 1.0-71xx
    >>
    >> More info here:
    >>
    >> http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html

    > Hmm, the website showed the latest and one previous when I looked. THe
    > older one built but would not load. The newer one would not build. Pity
    > it was not clearer.

    It would seem that your FX5200 would use the newest one (173.14.09). I do
    know for sure that that "new" branch had problems with a kernel newer than
    2.6.24.x in it's 169.x.x version. The 173.x.x one has worked on kernels
    of 2.6.25.x for me.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he tried to learn COBOL.

  13. Re: Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience

    Dan C wrote:

    > It would seem that your FX5200 would use the newest one (173.14.09). I do
    > know for sure that that "new" branch had problems with a kernel newer than
    > 2.6.24.x in it's 169.x.x version. The 173.x.x one has worked on kernels
    > of 2.6.25.x for me.

    Thanks chaps.

    Building kernel 2.6.25.8 * using make oldconfig from the generic non smp
    kernel worked followed buy building the slackbuilds for nvidia-drivers and
    nvidia-kernel followed by running nvidia-xconfig did the trick.

    Note that the latest (unpatched) nvidia driver would not build (run as
    root - no slackbuild) but the older version used by the slack builds did.
    Tried to find the patch for the driver some one mentioned but could not
    find it. Seem to be working now.

    Must have some small thing wrong somewhere or a tricky set up - no issues
    before.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  14. Re: Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience

    Peter Chant wrote:

    > Building kernel 2.6.25.8 * using make oldconfig from the generic non smp
    > kernel worked followed buy building the slackbuilds for nvidia-drivers and
    > nvidia-kernel followed by running nvidia-xconfig did the trick.

    Forgot to add - main reason for going for 2.6.25.8 was because it was easy
    to tell it apart from the installed kernel.

    And because its there...

    Pete
    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  15. Re: Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience

    Peter Chant wrote:

    > Forgot to add - main reason for going for 2.6.25.8 was because it was easy
    > to tell it apart from the installed kernel.

    Setting CONFIG_LOCALVERSION when you "make menuconfig" comes in handy
    for this. You can tack on a tag for this kernel, and your kernel modules
    will not overwrite the current kernel's modules.

    - Kurt

  16. Re: Slack 12.1 Nvidia driver experience

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:48:41 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:

    > Must have some small thing wrong somewhere or a tricky set up - no
    > issues before.

    I just installed 12.1; built stock kernel using proper config from
    /boot; Downloaded latest Nvidia kernel; installed and was done.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net