64-bit - Slackware

This is a discussion on 64-bit - Slackware ; Is there a good web page or HOWTO that explains how I might set up 64-bit on my AMD64 system? I am finding bits and pieces of mostly wrong information around the Web on how to compile the GNU toolchain. ...

  1. 64-bit

    Is there a good web page or HOWTO that explains
    how I might set up 64-bit on my AMD64 system?
    I am finding bits and pieces of mostly wrong
    information around the Web on how to compile
    the GNU toolchain.

    I want to learn how to do this, if only I can find
    the key information I need.

    My steps to far:

    Binutils seem to build without problems:

    mkdir /opt64
    tar zxfv binutils-2.18.tar.gz
    cd binutils-2.18
    ../configure --prefix=/opt64 --target=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
    make
    make install

    However gcc builds only the first stage and
    at the end of that, it complains that it cannot
    create the binary, seemingly because it doesn't
    know the name for it (gcc). Does gcc not use
    its own name as the default?

    export CFLAGS='-Dinhibit_libc'
    export PATH=/opt64/bin:$PATH
    tar jxfv gcc-4.3.1.tar.bz2
    cd gcc-4.3.1
    ../configure --prefix=/opt64 --target=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --enable-
    languages=c --disable-shared --disable-multilib --enable-
    threads=single --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
    make

    A comment: Right now I am not so focused on
    making a complete distro. I can want the toolchain
    and then I will compile glibc. I have tried incidentally
    installing 64 bit versions of Ubuntu and Fedora and am
    surprised that people would use such distros
    that put on the appearance that they will do everything
    for you, only to mess it up.

    As always, Slackware's DIY approach is best
    but this requires information.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: 64-bit

    khapi@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Is there a good web page or HOWTO that explains
    > how I might set up 64-bit on my AMD64 system?
    > I am finding bits and pieces of mostly wrong
    > information around the Web on how to compile
    > the GNU toolchain.

    Slamd64.com

    As far as cross compilation goes, the names are
    --build=
    --host=
    --target=

    > ./configure --prefix=/opt64 --target=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --enable-
    > languages=c --disable-shared --disable-multilib --enable-
    > threads=single --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

    IIRC, a cross compile is detected when build!=host...
    Run config.guess to see what build should be; then set
    --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu and --target=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.

    - Daniel

  3. Re: 64-bit

    khapi@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Is there a good web page or HOWTO that explains
    > how I might set up 64-bit on my AMD64 system?
    > I am finding bits and pieces of mostly wrong
    > information around the Web on how to compile
    > the GNU toolchain.
    >
    > I want to learn how to do this, if only I can find
    > the key information I need.
    >
    > My steps to far:
    >
    > Binutils seem to build without problems:
    >
    > mkdir /opt64
    > tar zxfv binutils-2.18.tar.gz
    > cd binutils-2.18
    > ./configure --prefix=/opt64 --target=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
    > make
    > make install
    >
    > However gcc builds only the first stage and
    > at the end of that, it complains that it cannot
    > create the binary, seemingly because it doesn't
    > know the name for it (gcc). Does gcc not use
    > its own name as the default?
    >
    > export CFLAGS='-Dinhibit_libc'
    > export PATH=/opt64/bin:$PATH
    > tar jxfv gcc-4.3.1.tar.bz2
    > cd gcc-4.3.1
    > ./configure --prefix=/opt64 --target=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --enable-
    > languages=c --disable-shared --disable-multilib --enable-
    > threads=single --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
    > make
    >
    > A comment: Right now I am not so focused on
    > making a complete distro. I can want the toolchain
    > and then I will compile glibc. I have tried incidentally
    > installing 64 bit versions of Ubuntu and Fedora and am
    > surprised that people would use such distros
    > that put on the appearance that they will do everything
    > for you, only to mess it up.
    >
    > As always, Slackware's DIY approach is best
    > but this requires information.

    What you are trying to do is decidedly non-trivial.

    Have you looked at slamd64.com?

  4. Re: 64-bit

    khapi@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Is there a good web page or HOWTO that explains
    > how I might set up 64-bit on my AMD64 system?
    > I am finding bits and pieces of mostly wrong
    > information around the Web on how to compile
    > the GNU toolchain.

    I just finished an install of slamd64-current as an "upgrade" from
    slack 11.0 on a new AMD64 X2. Could not be more pleased, especially
    with the 32bit emulation which allowed previous apps to move seamlessly.

    Recommend the pre-copy to a spare partition + USB boot flash. In
    'usb-and-pxe-installers/', mount -loop usbboot.img and edit the name of
    the kernel from 'bzImage' to 'huge.s', then you're good to go.

    Cheers,

+ Reply to Thread