plugging in usb kills system - Slackware

This is a discussion on plugging in usb kills system - Slackware ; I can put a usb flash in slot of cold system and boot and slack 12.1 detects it and I can manually mount it (no 3rd party automount crap). I can even umount it and remove it. No problem. But, ...

  1. plugging in usb kills system

    I can put a usb flash in slot of cold system and boot and slack 12.1 detects
    it and I can manually mount it (no 3rd party automount crap). I can even
    umount it and remove it. No problem. But, plug usb key back in and BAM!
    ....instant doorstop. Frozen solid. I gotta pwr off and reboot. Same with
    my canon s10 camera. Physically connects ok, but the instant I turn on
    camera, instant still life.

    I suspect this is due to the udev or hald or both. I know zip about either
    and have studiously avoided them like the plague. Now, time to pay the
    piper.

    I don't know if it's of any importance, but during boot, I always notice the
    line:

    Triggering udev events: /sbin/udevtrigger --retry-failed

    I can't help but wondering if this is the origin of my problem. Natch, I'm
    hot on it on the google trail. Any leads would be appreciated.

    OH! --- All intel i810 mobo with w/ coppermine 600 cpu and integrated
    everything.

    nb

  2. Re: plugging in usb kills system

    notbob wrote:
    > Triggering udev events: /sbin/udevtrigger --retry-failed
    >
    > I can't help but wondering if this is the origin of my problem.

    hardly. --retry-failed is just an option passed to udevtrigger, there's
    nothing to worry about it. see man udevtrigger and /etc/rc.d/rc.udev for
    details.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  3. Re: plugging in usb kills system

    notbob wrote:
    > I can put a usb flash in slot of cold system and boot and slack 12.1 detects
    > it and I can manually mount it (no 3rd party automount crap). I can even
    > umount it and remove it. No problem. But, plug usb key back in and BAM!
    > ...instant doorstop. Frozen solid. I gotta pwr off and reboot. Same with
    > my canon s10 camera. Physically connects ok, but the instant I turn on
    > camera, instant still life.

    On a somewhat different note, I have noticed that if I boot the first
    Slackware install disk on my Dell Inspiron laptop with either _USB
    keyboard or USB mouse_ attached, the system panics and freezes part-way
    through the boot-up. Had to keep both the USB mouse and keyboard at bay
    to install Slackware on the laptop.

    --
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan

  4. Re: plugging in usb kills system

    On 2008-06-19, notbob wrote:

    > umount it and remove it. No problem. But, plug usb key back in and BAM!
    > ...instant doorstop. Frozen solid. I gotta pwr off and reboot.

    I've come to the conclusion I may have a corrupt Slack install disc.> my canon s10 camera. Physically connects ok, but the instant I turn on
    > camera, instant still life.
    >
    > I suspect this is due to the udev or hald or both. I know zip about either
    > and have studiously avoided them like the plague. Now, time to pay the
    > piper.
    >
    > I don't know if it's of any importance, but during boot, I always notice the
    > line:
    >
    > Triggering udev events: /sbin/udevtrigger --retry-failed
    >
    > I can't help but wondering if this is the origin of my problem. Natch, I'm
    > hot on it on the google trail. Any leads would be appreciated.
    >
    > OH! --- All intel i810 mobo with w/ coppermine 600 cpu and integrated
    > everything.
    >
    > nb

    I've come to the conclusion I may have a corrupt slack 12.1 install disk.
    Here's my reasoning:

    I booted up Slax 6.01 which also has the 2.6.24 kernel. No probs
    whatsoever. Plug in flash drive and unplug, no problem. Works perfect. No
    freeze up. I looked over the udev rules, they all look the same to me. If
    it works for one, shouldn't it work for the other? It definitely rules out
    hardware failure.

    Here's messages for plug-in and un-plug for pen drive:

    Jun 21 18:16:38 (none) kernel: usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 2
    Jun 21 18:16:52 (none) kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using
    uhci_hcd and
    address 3
    Jun 21 18:16:52 (none) kernel: usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    Jun 21 18:16:52 (none) kernel: scsi3 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage
    devices
    Jun 21 18:16:57 (none) kernel: scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access USB 2.0
    Flash Disk 1100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
    Jun 21 18:16:57 (none) kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] 7928832 512-byte
    hardware sectors (4060 MB)
    Jun 21 18:16:57 (none) kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
    Jun 21 18:16:57 (none) kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] 7928832 512-byte hardware
    sectors (4060 MB)
    Jun 21 18:16:57 (none) kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
    Jun 21 18:16:58 (none) kernel: sdb: sdb1
    Jun 21 18:16:58 (none) kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk

    ......soooo, this i810 chipset is treating it like a scsi, which is not
    unusual. Also, I couldn't install 12.1 on my scsi hdd box. Would freeze
    solid half way through basic tmp kernel boot. So, looks like my downloaded
    12.1 disc may be corrupted. Sound logical?

    nb

  5. Re: plugging in usb kills system

    *Same with
    > my canon s10 camera. *Physically connects ok, but the instant I turn on
    > camera, instant still life.

    LOL!

    a 10 year old camera!
    get another job so you can buy something more up to date, pal.

    (teehee)

  6. Re: plugging in usb kills system

    notbob wrote:

    > .....soooo, this i810 chipset is treating it like a scsi, which is not
    > unusual. *Also, I couldn't install 12.1 on my scsi hdd box. *Would
    > freeze solid half way through basic tmp kernel boot. *So, looks like
    > my downloaded 12.1 disc may be corrupted. *Sound logical?

    I recently installed Slackware 12.1 on a new laptop for my daughter,
    bought without an operating system, if I remember correctly it reports
    the hard drive as being SCSI (dev/sda2), and I had problems with the
    official Slackware 12.1 DVD in that booting from it only got as far as
    the first line, hung for some considerable time and then reported failed hit any key to retry>, I didn't make a note of the exact words.
    Like you I then tried a Slax CD which did boot, I tried a number
    of 'Cover disk' CD's and DVD's with mixed results. I then having had
    some success in getting it to boot, tried home made Slackware 12.1 CD's
    these successfully installed 12.1. I arrived at the conclusion that it
    seemed to be a proble with either the Disk Drive or the Media, with the
    disk drive being the most likely, as the 'Official' Slackware DVD, (I
    have a subscription), installed perfectly on my Destop PC.

    Whether this is of any interest or help I'm not sure, I'm just reporting
    my experience of Thursday night, and yesterday.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  7. Re: plugging in usb kills system

    lockjaw wrote:

    > a 10 year old camera!
    > get another job so you can buy something more up to date, pal.

    Not everyone *needs* the newest shiniest toy on the market.

    - Kurt

  8. Re: plugging in usb kills system

    notbob wrote:
    > I've come to the conclusion I may have a corrupt slack 12.1 install disk.

    Did you compare the md5 sum? It is really a good idea to check the md5 sum
    befor burning the image.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  9. Re: plugging in usb kills system

    On 2008-06-22, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > Did you compare the md5 sum? It is really a good idea to check the md5 sum
    > befor burning the image.

    Yes, I did. It's always been pretty foolproof, too, but the media may have
    been corrupted during the CD burn. I burnt on a XP box, but that's never
    been an issue before. OTOH, I had a problem even getting my slack 11
    subscription boot disc to boot and had to use a dwnld'd iso. Gremlins.

    nb

+ Reply to Thread