Installation - Slackware

This is a discussion on Installation - Slackware ; I have an old laptop I am running Slack 10.2 on. There is nothing that needs to be saved. The DVD drive is gettng very flakey so I do not want to risk a fresh install of Slack 12.1 from ...

  1. Installation

    I have an old laptop I am running Slack 10.2 on. There is nothing that needs
    to be saved. The DVD drive is gettng very flakey so I do not want to risk a
    fresh install of Slack 12.1 from disk. I can often get to the lilo menu and
    from the 10.2 CD (wont read DVDs at all anymore). My question is, if I boot
    from Slack 10.2 CD, can I install Slack 12.1 (files on harddrive) instead,
    and how would I do that?

    Tim

  2. Re: Installation

    Tim wrote:

    > The DVD drive is gettng very flakey so I do not want to risk a
    > fresh install of Slack 12.1 from disk. I can often get to the lilo menu
    > and from the 10.2 CD (wont read DVDs at all anymore).

    If you can boot from CD, but not from DVD, you can create a Slackware-12.1
    boot CD for the task. From the top level of the Slackware source tree, run
    the following:

    mkisofs -o slackware-12.1.boot.iso \
    -R -J -V "Slackware-12.1 Boot CD" \
    -x ./bootdisks \
    -x ./extra \
    -x ./slackware \
    -x ./pasture \
    -x ./patches \
    -x ./rootdisks \
    -x ./testing \
    -x ./source \
    -x ./zipslack \
    -hide-rr-moved \
    -v -d -N -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
    -sort isolinux/iso.sort \
    -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
    -c isolinux/isolinux.boot \
    -A "Slackware-12.1 Boot CD" .

    This will create a small CD image suitable for booting. The CD will not
    include any packages, so you'll still need the 12.1 packages in a directory
    on your hard drive (on a partition *other* than the one you'll be
    installing to.)

    Jeffrey

  3. Re: Installation

    Tim wrote:
    > I have an old laptop I am running Slack 10.2 on. There is nothing that needs
    > to be saved. The DVD drive is gettng very flakey so I do not want to risk a
    > fresh install of Slack 12.1 from disk. I can often get to the lilo menu and
    > from the 10.2 CD (wont read DVDs at all anymore). My question is, if I boot
    > from Slack 10.2 CD, can I install Slack 12.1 (files on harddrive) instead,
    > and how would I do that?

    If you have the 12.1 distribution available on HD you can add a section
    to your /etc/lilo.conf reading:

    image = /path_to_the_12.1_files/kernels/huge.s/bzImage
    initrd = /path_to_the_12.1_files/isolinux/initrd.img
    append = "load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 rw SLACK_KERNEL=huge.s"
    label = Install_12.1

    And of course rerun lilo.
    This should boot you directly in the 12.1 installer.

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  4. Re: Installation

    "Kees Theunissen" wrote in message
    > Tim wrote:
    >> I have an old laptop I am running Slack 10.2 on. There is nothing that
    >> needs
    >> to be saved. The DVD drive is gettng very flakey so I do not want to risk
    >> fresh install of Slack 12.1 from disk. I can often get to the lilo menu
    >> and
    >> from the 10.2 CD (wont read DVDs at all anymore). My question is, if I
    >> boot
    >> from Slack 10.2 CD, can I install Slack 12.1 (files on harddrive)
    >> instead,
    >> and how would I do that?

    > If you have the 12.1 distribution available on HD you can add a section
    > to your /etc/lilo.conf reading:
    >
    > image = /path_to_the_12.1_files/kernels/huge.s/bzImage
    > initrd = /path_to_the_12.1_files/isolinux/initrd.img
    > append = "load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 rw SLACK_KERNEL=huge.s"
    > label = Install_12.1
    >
    > And of course rerun lilo.
    > This should boot you directly in the 12.1 installer.

    That was great. You were spot on with what I wanted to do. Many thanks.

    Tim

  5. Re: Installation

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 23:47:08 +0200, Kees Theunissen wrote:

    >Tim wrote:
    >> I have an old laptop I am running Slack 10.2 on. There is nothing that needs
    >> to be saved. The DVD drive is gettng very flakey so I do not want to risk a
    >> fresh install of Slack 12.1 from disk. I can often get to the lilo menu and
    >> from the 10.2 CD (wont read DVDs at all anymore). My question is, if I boot
    >> from Slack 10.2 CD, can I install Slack 12.1 (files on harddrive) instead,
    >> and how would I do that?

    >If you have the 12.1 distribution available on HD you can add a section
    >to your /etc/lilo.conf reading:
    >
    >image = /path_to_the_12.1_files/kernels/huge.s/bzImage
    > initrd = /path_to_the_12.1_files/isolinux/initrd.img
    > append = "load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 rw SLACK_KERNEL=huge.s"
    > label = Install_12.1
    >
    >And of course rerun lilo.
    >This should boot you directly in the 12.1 installer.

    It did, thank you

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/