Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences - Slackware

This is a discussion on Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences - Slackware ; Hi, just installed firefox 3 from current and found that the new "Applications" tab in "Preferences" is empty, so no change of applications preferences is possible. Apparently the panel is empty because there is a dependency to gnome-vfs. Can anybody ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

  1. Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    Hi,

    just installed firefox 3 from current and found that the
    new "Applications" tab in "Preferences" is empty, so no change
    of applications preferences is possible. Apparently the panel is
    empty because there is a dependency to gnome-vfs. Can anybody
    confirm this?

    TIA
    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  2. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:29:48 +0200, Joerg
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >just installed firefox 3 from current and found that the
    >new "Applications" tab in "Preferences" is empty, so no change
    >of applications preferences is possible. Apparently the panel is
    >empty because there is a dependency to gnome-vfs. Can anybody
    >confirm this?
    >
    >TIA
    >Joerg
    > --
    >For email use g m x d o t n e t


    Hi,

    copy the file, with Firefox not running, 'mimeTypes.rdf' from your FF
    2.x profile to your FF 3.0 profile, and restart FF 3.0

    This should do the trich, I hope:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/MimeTypes.rdf

    I cann't test it for you because I have no associations between
    filetypes and applications neither in FF 2.x, nor in FF 3.0

  3. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    Manuel Otto wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:29:48 +0200, Joerg
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>just installed firefox 3 from current and found that the
    >>new "Applications" tab in "Preferences" is empty, so no change
    >>of applications preferences is possible. Apparently the panel is
    >>empty because there is a dependency to gnome-vfs. Can anybody
    >>confirm this?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>Joerg
    >> --
    >>For email use g m x d o t n e t

    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > copy the file, with Firefox not running, 'mimeTypes.rdf' from
    > your FF 2.x profile to your FF 3.0 profile, and restart FF 3.0
    >
    > This should do the trich, I hope:
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/MimeTypes.rdf
    >
    > I cann't test it for you because I have no associations between
    > filetypes and applications neither in FF 2.x, nor in FF 3.0


    No, I already created a new mimeTypes.rdf. There are quite a few
    messages in the forums , indicating that firefox 3 has now some
    gnome dependencies. See

    http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=46470

    and there are similar messages on the Kubuntu/Xbuntu foren, where
    the fix is to install the gnome-support package. Now I find this
    hard to believe, therefor I wonder if somebody has got the
    appliations preferences working.

    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  4. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 23:13:06 +0200, Joerg
    wrote:

    >Manuel Otto wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:29:48 +0200, Joerg
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>just installed firefox 3 from current and found that the
    >>>new "Applications" tab in "Preferences" is empty, so no change
    >>>of applications preferences is possible. Apparently the panel is
    >>>empty because there is a dependency to gnome-vfs. Can anybody
    >>>confirm this?
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>Joerg
    >>> --
    >>>For email use g m x d o t n e t

    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> copy the file, with Firefox not running, 'mimeTypes.rdf' from
    >> your FF 2.x profile to your FF 3.0 profile, and restart FF 3.0
    >>
    >> This should do the trich, I hope:
    >>
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/MimeTypes.rdf
    >>
    >> I cann't test it for you because I have no associations between
    >> filetypes and applications neither in FF 2.x, nor in FF 3.0

    >
    >No, I already created a new mimeTypes.rdf. There are quite a few
    >messages in the forums , indicating that firefox 3 has now some
    >gnome dependencies. See
    >
    >http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=46470


    It had Gnome dependancy for as long as I can remember, which made it
    look really ugly in KDE, so I use
    http://slackbuilds.org/result/?search=gtk-qt-engine&sv= this.

    Surprised to read that there's new issues with Gnome things.

    >and there are similar messages on the Kubuntu/Xbuntu foren, where
    >the fix is to install the gnome-support package. Now I find this
    >hard to believe, therefor I wonder if somebody has got the
    >appliations preferences working.


    I see. Hope you get responses which solve the problem.

    >Joerg


    Manuel

  5. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    Manuel Otto wrote:
    > It had Gnome dependancy for as long as I can remember, which made it
    > look really ugly in KDE, so I use
    > http://slackbuilds.org/result/?search=gtk-qt-engine&sv= this.


    that doesn't sound like a gnome dependency but a gtk dependency. gnome may
    use gtk but gtk is not part of gnome. xfce for instance also uses it.


    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
    EN:SiS(9)

  6. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    Joost Kremers wrote:

    > Manuel Otto wrote:
    >> It had Gnome dependancy for as long as I can remember, which
    >> made it look really ugly in KDE, so I use
    >> http://slackbuilds.org/result/?search=gtk-qt-engine&sv= this.

    >
    > that doesn't sound like a gnome dependency but a gtk dependency.
    > gnome may use gtk but gtk is not part of gnome. xfce for
    > instance also uses it.
    >


    Yes, I think that too. In the meantime I completly removed my
    ~/.mozilla dir and still no showing of application preferences,
    even after copying my old mimeTypes.rdf to the new profile.
    Usually that would be no big deal, there's always about:config
    but if firefox 3 really has some gnome dependencies, it would
    mean, all gnome free distros have either to distribute a crippled
    version of firefox, or have to maintain some gnome-support
    packages. Or the mozilla people will distribute firefox in two
    flavours, like opera does with qt. I still find it hard to
    believe, I hope it's just something in my setup. Not that I'm a
    big fan of firefox, but it would mean another step to the
    ubuntufication of GNU/Linux.

    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  7. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    On 20 Jun 2008 07:32:50 GMT, Joost Kremers
    wrote:

    >Manuel Otto wrote:
    >> It had Gnome dependancy for as long as I can remember, which made it
    >> look really ugly in KDE, so I use
    >> http://slackbuilds.org/result/?search=gtk-qt-engine&sv= this.

    >
    >that doesn't sound like a gnome dependency but a gtk dependency. gnome may
    >use gtk but gtk is not part of gnome. xfce for instance also uses it.


    I didn'y know that... I thought if builded with Gnome ToolKit, it
    means it depands on (part of) gnome.

    Thanks for explaining.

  8. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    Manuel Otto wrote:
    > I didn'y know that... I thought if builded with Gnome ToolKit, it
    > means it depands on (part of) gnome.


    that would indeed make sense, but gtk stands for gimp toolkit, not gnome
    toolkit. ;-)


    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
    EN:SiS(9)

  9. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    On 20 Jun 2008 18:48:39 GMT, Joost Kremers
    wrote:

    >Manuel Otto wrote:
    >> I didn'y know that... I thought if builded with Gnome ToolKit, it
    >> means it depands on (part of) gnome.

    >
    >that would indeed make sense, but gtk stands for gimp toolkit, not gnome
    >toolkit. ;-)


    Makes me laugh! I think I just learned it the wrong way from reading
    the Web, cause I'm not the only one who got it wrong:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=gtk+%...&oe=utf-8&aq=t

    = ;-))

  10. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences


    Joost Kremers wrote :

    > that doesn't sound like a gnome dependency but a gtk dependency. gnome may
    > use gtk but gtk is not part of gnome. xfce for instance also uses it.


    I've installed Firefox-3 from tarball on my Slackware 12.0 system, and
    if I create a new user and run Firefox for the very first time from
    Konsole this happen:

    The "Accept our ****ing terms" splash screen comes up and after
    accepting the terms this error message shows:

    $ firefox

    (firefox-bin:12858): Pango-WARNING **: shape engine failure, expect ugly
    output. the offending font is 'Arial Not-Rotated 12'

    (firefox-bin:12858): Pango-WARNING **: shape engine failure, expect ugly
    output. the offending font is 'Arial Not-Rotated 12.0029296875'
    /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/crashreporter: error while loading shared
    libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file
    or directory

    And then it crashes. Another User has been running Firefox since install
    time and here it doesn't crash, but in KDE the Firefox icon stays active
    for more than a minute indicating a problem.

    What a shame, Firefox was a great browser and I really cant see any
    reason to change it into a Gnome application.

    What will replace Firefox in the next Slackware release? Opera, or maybe
    Konqueror from the new KDE 4 is able to take over.
    --
    Thomas O.

    This area is designed to become quite warm during normal operation.

  11. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 23:21:25 +0200, Thomas Overgaard
    wrote:

    >
    >Joost Kremers wrote :
    >
    >> that doesn't sound like a gnome dependency but a gtk dependency. gnome may
    >> use gtk but gtk is not part of gnome. xfce for instance also uses it.

    >
    >I've installed Firefox-3 from tarball on my Slackware 12.0 system, and
    >if I create a new user and run Firefox for the very first time from
    >Konsole this happen:
    >
    >The "Accept our ****ing terms" splash screen comes up and after
    >accepting the terms this error message shows:
    >
    >$ firefox
    >
    >(firefox-bin:12858): Pango-WARNING **: shape engine failure, expect ugly
    >output. the offending font is 'Arial Not-Rotated 12'
    >
    >(firefox-bin:12858): Pango-WARNING **: shape engine failure, expect ugly
    >output. the offending font is 'Arial Not-Rotated 12.0029296875'
    >/usr/lib/firefox-3.0/crashreporter: error while loading shared
    >libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file
    >or directory
    >
    >And then it crashes. Another User has been running Firefox since install
    >time and here it doesn't crash, but in KDE the Firefox icon stays active
    >for more than a minute indicating a problem.
    >
    >What a shame, Firefox was a great browser and I really cant see any
    >reason to change it into a Gnome application.
    >
    >What will replace Firefox in the next Slackware release? Opera, or maybe
    >Konqueror from the new KDE 4 is able to take over.


    I have none of these problems, but then I never wait till the official
    package is there, I just download the binary from mozilla, and unpack
    it to /usr/lib (same loacation as what the official Slackware package
    would unpack to).

    I *really* don't like the way it looks cause it's build with gtk only
    (if I'm right).

    So I use
    http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12...gtk-qt-engine/

    and experiment a little bit with what font and font sizes, to make it
    behave like the rest of my KDE, then I have no problems...

    I don't like Konqueror for Internet, I don't like Opera.

    This might help? (Though not a solution to the errors).

  12. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    > (firefox-bin:12858): Pango-WARNING **: shape engine failure, expect ugly
    > output. the offending font is 'Arial Not-Rotated 12.0029296875'
    > /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/crashreporter: error while loading shared
    > libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file
    > or directory
    >
    > And then it crashes.


    i'm running firefox 3 from tarball on two slackware 12.0 systems, and it
    works fine on both. note that the libgconf-dependency is not reported by
    firefox itself, but by a program in the firefox dir called crashreporter.
    while that might be considered dubious as well, firefox itself doesn't seem
    to have any dependencies that a standard slackware install does not
    provide.

    > Another User has been running Firefox since install
    > time and here it doesn't crash, but in KDE the Firefox icon stays active
    > for more than a minute indicating a problem.


    you do seem to have a problem, but i doubt it has to do with gnome
    dependencies.

    > What a shame, Firefox was a great browser and I really cant see any
    > reason to change it into a Gnome application.


    neither can i. and i don't think it's happening just yet. ;-)


    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
    EN:SiS(9)

  13. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences


    Manuel Otto wrote :

    > I have none of these problems, but then I never wait till the official
    > package is there, I just download the binary from mozilla, and unpack
    > it to /usr/lib (same loacation as what the official Slackware package
    > would unpack to).
    >

    Thats exactly what I did too.

    Then I ran 'ldd /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/firefox-bin' and it showed me some
    missing dependencies and that Firefox relayed pretty much on
    Seamonkey. So I added the line "/usr/lib/firefox-3.0" to /etc/ld.so.conf
    before the Seamonkey line and ran 'ldconfig'.

    Now the output of 'ldd' seems fine, and Joost you are right 'ldd' shows
    its the chrashreporter thats an gnome application.

    Then I tested Firefox and found that there was no java, so I added a
    symlink /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
    /usr/lib/jre1.6.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

    I think this is the way to install Firefox but maybe I've triggered a
    bug.

    > I *really* don't like the way it looks cause it's build with gtk only
    > (if I'm right).
    >

    Check out a ftp server to see something ugly.
    >
    > I don't like Konqueror for Internet, I don't like Opera.
    >

    I was using Konqueror before Firefox because I felt Netscape was to big
    and slow and I was using Opera back in my W4WG-3.11 days.

    But it seems like we are having a rainy day around here so maybe its
    about time to upgrade to Slackware 12.1 and see how Firefox 3 runs on a
    clean Slackware system.
    --
    Thomas O.

    This area is designed to become quite warm during normal operation.

  14. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    > Then I ran 'ldd /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/firefox-bin' and it showed me some
    > missing dependencies and that Firefox relayed pretty much on
    > Seamonkey. So I added the line "/usr/lib/firefox-3.0" to /etc/ld.so.conf
    > before the Seamonkey line and ran 'ldconfig'.


    if you unpack the firefox tar ball from the mozilla site and then run ldd
    on firefox-bin, it does indeed report several missing libraries. but all
    those are in the same directory firefox-bin is in. i didn't need to add
    anything to ld.so.conf, firefox finds these libraries automatically.

    i unpacked the tar ball in /usr/local, creating the directory
    /usr/local/firefox. then all i did was make a sym-link from
    /usr/local/bin/firefox to /usr/local/firefox/firefox and that's it.


    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
    EN:SiS(9)

  15. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    >> but in KDE the Firefox icon stays active for more than a minute indicating a problem.

    I have also this problem but i don't use the package of Slackware. I
    have create my own package. (with firefox 2.0.x idon't have this problem)


  16. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 13:37:57 +0200, Thomas Overgaard
    wrote:

    >
    >Manuel Otto wrote :
    >
    >> I have none of these problems, but then I never wait till the official
    >> package is there, I just download the binary from mozilla, and unpack
    >> it to /usr/lib (same loacation as what the official Slackware package
    >> would unpack to).
    >>

    >Thats exactly what I did too.
    >
    >Then I ran 'ldd /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/firefox-bin' and it showed me some
    >missing dependencies and that Firefox relayed pretty much on
    >Seamonkey. So I added the line "/usr/lib/firefox-3.0" to /etc/ld.so.conf
    >before the Seamonkey line and ran 'ldconfig'.


    I never ran ldd on firefox (cause I had no trubbles), but now that I
    do, ldd reports many missing libraries on *both* FF 2.0.0.14 and FF
    3.0

    All those libraries are found in FF dir, and FF seems to have no
    trubble with that.

    >Now the output of 'ldd' seems fine, and Joost you are right 'ldd' shows
    >its the chrashreporter thats an gnome application.


    If I delete the crashreporter files, FF still runs fine, even seems to
    be a bit faster.

    If I remember well, in previous versions the crashreporter was
    installed as an extension in /usr.lib/firefox/extensions, and was not
    needed for normal operation. In Windows there was an option during
    Install, Advanced to not install the crashreporter.

    >Then I tested Firefox and found that there was no java, so I added a
    >symlink /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
    >/usr/lib/jre1.6.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so


    Java is a third-party plugin which is not needed by Firefox at all, as
    a matter of fact I have it disabled 99.99 % of the time, and only
    enable it when I have to my online banking.

    I still use 'Plugin Manager, a' FF extension to enable/disable my
    plugins, as I found that the plugin tab in 'Add-ons' sometimes shows
    the active plugins, and the next time it doesn't, or shows only 1 of
    2. It's not reiable.

    http://www.gozer.org/mozilla/extensions/

    >I think this is the way to install Firefox but maybe I've triggered a
    >bug.
    >
    >> I *really* don't like the way it looks cause it's build with gtk only
    >> (if I'm right).
    >>

    >Check out a ftp server to see something ugly.


    ?

    >> I don't like Konqueror for Internet, I don't like Opera.
    >>

    >I was using Konqueror before Firefox because I felt Netscape was to big
    >and slow and I was using Opera back in my W4WG-3.11 days.


    A question of pesonal preference maybe.

    >But it seems like we are having a rainy day around here so maybe its
    >about time to upgrade to Slackware 12.1 and see how Firefox 3 runs on a
    >clean Slackware system.


    Wish you luck!

  17. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    Joost Kremers wrote:

    > Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    >> Then I ran 'ldd /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/firefox-bin' and it showed
    >> me some missing dependencies and that Firefox relayed pretty
    >> much on Seamonkey. So I added the line "/usr/lib/firefox-3.0"
    >> to /etc/ld.so.conf before the Seamonkey line and ran
    >> 'ldconfig'.

    >
    > if you unpack the firefox tar ball from the mozilla site and
    > then run ldd on firefox-bin, it does indeed report several
    > missing libraries. but all those are in the same directory
    > firefox-bin is in. i didn't need to add anything to ld.so.conf,
    > firefox finds these libraries automatically.
    >
    > i unpacked the tar ball in /usr/local, creating the directory
    > /usr/local/firefox. then all i did was make a sym-link from
    > /usr/local/bin/firefox to /usr/local/firefox/firefox and that's
    > it.
    >
    >


    Do you have anything in Preferences->Applications?

    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  18. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    Joerg wrote:
    > Joost Kremers wrote:
    >> i unpacked the tar ball in /usr/local, creating the directory
    >> /usr/local/firefox. then all i did was make a sym-link from
    >> /usr/local/bin/firefox to /usr/local/firefox/firefox and that's
    >> it.

    >
    > Do you have anything in Preferences->Applications?


    nope, can't say that i do. ;-) though i never had any in ff 2, save for
    those that i added myself.


    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
    EN:SiS(9)

  19. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    On Jun 23, 2:20*pm, Joost Kremers wrote:
    > Joerg wrote:
    > > Joost Kremers wrote:
    > >> i unpacked the tar ball in /usr/local, creating the directory
    > >> /usr/local/firefox. then all i did was make a sym-link from
    > >> /usr/local/bin/firefox to /usr/local/firefox/firefox and that's
    > >> it.

    >
    > > Do you have anything in Preferences->Applications?

    >
    > nope, can't say that i do. ;-) though i never had any in ff 2, save for
    > those that i added myself.
    >
    > --
    > Joost Kremers * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * *joostkrem...@yahoo.com
    > Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
    > EN:SiS(9)


    I am having the same problem on Slackware 12.1 with Firefox3. Nothing
    is listed in the Preferences -> Applications panel.

    Where does the data which populates that list come from? I built and
    installed orbit2, gconf, gnome-mime-data, and gnome-vfs, and still
    nothing displays in that panel.

    Furthermore, Thunderbird no longer opens when I click on a mailto:
    URL. This worked fine in Firefox2 with "network.protocol-
    handler.app.mailto" set to "/usr/bin/thunderbird".

    I provide the Firefox3 package on Linuxpackages.net, and would
    appreciate some answers to this problem.

    Thanks,

    Ken Zalewski

  20. Re: Firefox 3 empty applicatins preferences

    ken.zalewski@gmail.com wrote:

    >> > Do you have anything in Preferences->Applications?

    >>
    >> nope, can't say that i do. ;-) though i never had any in ff 2,
    >> save for those that i added myself.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Joost Kremers * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    >> joostkrem...@yahoo.com Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch
    >> Spalten Licht EN:SiS(9)

    >
    > I am having the same problem on Slackware 12.1 with Firefox3.
    > Nothing is listed in the Preferences -> Applications panel.
    >


    It seems to be not only a slackware problem, it looks all distros
    w/o gnome support are affected (or at least it looks like that
    from what I gathered so far from the net).

    > Where does the data which populates that list come from? I
    > built and installed orbit2, gconf, gnome-mime-data, and
    > gnome-vfs, and still nothing displays in that panel.
    >


    According to a mail from an ArchLinux forum, firefox needs to be
    build with --enable-gnome-vfs, to show application preferences
    (see http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=46470), but
    probably you did that already.

    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast