Slackware setup-Nic - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackware setup-Nic - Slackware ; Hey Slack guys, I'm trying to install Slack12 on my laptop. It doesn't have a cd-rom, so I used PXE to get it up to the command prompt. However, I now need to make a network connection to my other ...

  1. Slackware setup-Nic

    Hey Slack guys,
    I'm trying to install Slack12 on my laptop. It doesn't have a cd-rom, so I
    used PXE to get it up to the command prompt. However, I now need to make a
    network connection to my other computer, so I can install the files. But,
    to do that, I need to load the NIC module and therein lies the problem.

    I used lspci with the linux that's on there already to get the NIC name:
    3c505. So, I navigated to the modules directory, where this file is located
    and it's filename is 3c505.ko. I used insmod to load it and lsmod shows
    it's up. However, when I execute 'ifconfig eth0', it gives the error:
    "ifconfig: eth0: error fetching interface information: device not found". I
    used the hugesmp kernel, and I loaded the module
    from /lib/modules/2.6.24.5-smp/kernel/drivers/net.

    Any tips on what I should try next? Other modules don't work.
    --
    lucas
    -------------------------

  2. Re: Slackware setup-Nic

    lucas wrote:

    > Hey Slack guys,
    > I'm trying to install Slack12 on my laptop. It doesn't have a cd-rom, so I
    > used PXE to get it up to the command prompt. However, I now need to make a
    > network connection to my other computer, so I can install the files. But,
    > to do that, I need to load the NIC module and therein lies the problem.
    >
    > I used lspci with the linux that's on there already to get the NIC name:
    > 3c505. So, I navigated to the modules directory, where this file is
    > located and it's filename is 3c505.ko. I used insmod to load it and lsmod
    > shows it's up. However, when I execute 'ifconfig eth0', it gives the
    > error: "ifconfig: eth0: error fetching interface information: device not
    > found". I used the hugesmp kernel, and I loaded the module
    > from /lib/modules/2.6.24.5-smp/kernel/drivers/net.
    >
    > Any tips on what I should try next? Other modules don't work.

    I forgot to mention, dmesg shows this:
    3c505.c: warning, using defualt DMA channel,
    3c505.c: module autoprobe not recommended, give io=xx,
    3c505.c: Failed to register card at 0x0.

    Do I need to specify the io?

    --
    lucas
    -------------------------

  3. Re: Slackware setup-Nic

    lucas wrote:

    > used PXE to get it up to the command prompt. However, I now need to make a
    > network connection to my other computer, so I can install the files. But,
    > to do that, I need to load the NIC module and therein lies the problem.

    To load the module for your NIC after booting, run the command "network".
    Then, assuming your other machine is serving the files via NFS, proceed
    with the install as normal. There's no need to run ifconfig manually, the
    installer takes care of that for you.

    Jeffrey

  4. Re: Slackware setup-Nic

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:22:50 -0700, Jeffrey Froman wrote:

    >> used PXE to get it up to the command prompt. However, I now need to make a
    >> network connection to my other computer, so I can install the files. But,
    >> to do that, I need to load the NIC module and therein lies the problem.

    > To load the module for your NIC after booting, run the command "network".

    Eh? There's no "network" command on my Slackware systems.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Rabbit pushed him off the speeding train.

  5. Re: Slackware setup-Nic

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:22:50 -0700, Jeffrey Froman wrote:
    > Eh? There's no "network" command on my Slackware systems.

    On the (PXE) installation media this script exists.
    Just boot your Installation Media and have a look at /bin/network and be
    enlighted.

    Chris

    PS: Yes I am aware that I am writing this from a windoze box, so you can
    refrain from trolling about that.

  6. Re: Slackware setup-Nic

    Dan C wrote:

    > There's no "network" command on my Slackware systems.

    It's built into the installer.

    Jeffrey

  7. Re: Slackware setup-Nic

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:04:39 -0700, Jeffrey Froman wrote:

    >> There's no "network" command on my Slackware systems.

    > It's built into the installer.

    Okey dokey.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he harpooned Flipper.

  8. Re: Slackware setup-Nic

    Christian "Xtra" Schiffler wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:22:50 -0700, Jeffrey Froman wrote:
    >> Eh? There's no "network" command on my Slackware systems.

    > On the (PXE) installation media this script exists.
    > Just boot your Installation Media and have a look at /bin/network and be
    > enlighted.
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > PS: Yes I am aware that I am writing this from a windoze box, so you can
    > refrain from trolling about that.

    I have indeed been enlightened. 'network' loaded 3c59x, even though when I
    tried it manually, it didn't work. eth0 is up and I'm connected to my
    network.

    Thanks everybody!
    --
    lucas