why no md5 files for alien packages? - Slackware

This is a discussion on why no md5 files for alien packages? - Slackware ; I get a pop-up with: ------- /tmp/foo.md5 could not be saved because the source file could not be read. Try again later or contact server administrator. ------- I thought this was just a couple packages, but it seems to be ...

  1. why no md5 files for alien packages?

    I get a pop-up with:

    -------

    /tmp/foo.md5 could not be saved because the source file could not be read.

    Try again later or contact server administrator.

    -------

    I thought this was just a couple packages, but it seems to be all packages
    and I'm pretty sure I ran into this the last time I looked at Erics packages
    several weeks ago. What's up?

    nb

  2. Re: why no md5 files for alien packages?

    notbob wrote:
    > I get a pop-up with:
    >

    > -------
    >
    > /tmp/foo.md5 could not be saved because the source file could not be read.
    >
    > Try again later or contact server administrator.
    >
    > -------
    >
    > I thought this was just a couple packages, but it seems to be all packages
    > and I'm pretty sure I ran into this the last time I looked at Erics packages
    > several weeks ago. What's up?
    >

    > nb

    Please explain more clearly what you mean. The above makes no sense as
    it provides no reference (what program used to download; what URL to
    download from; what date/time,...)
    I can see nothing wrong.

    Eric

  3. Re: why no md5 files for alien packages?

    On 2008-06-17, Eric Hameleers wrote:

    > Please explain more clearly what you mean. The above makes no sense as
    > it provides no reference (what program used to download; what URL to
    > download from; what date/time,...)
    > I can see nothing wrong.

    OK. Googling for slackware packages, I get:

    http://www.slackware.com/~alien/

    .....which takes me to:

    http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/

    .....and from there I go to digikam > pkg > 12.1 where I click on the:

    digikam-0.9.3-i486-1alien.tgz.md5

    .....file which gives me the following error message pop-up:

    -------

    /tmp/ftzulqw0.md5 could not be saved because the source file could not be read.
    Try again later or contact server administrator.
    [ OK }

    -------

    Note: the "ftzulqw0" portion of the file changes everytime I click on the
    file link.

    The rest of the files are ok, just the md5 files, which are indicated by a ?
    icon. All md5 files I try are the same. Other files like .asc, .meta, and
    ..dep are fine, including the actual binaries which I downloaded and
    installed, no problem. I don't know how to explain it any clearer than
    that.

    Could it be my browser is messing something up? I'm using 12.1 and mozilla
    on kde.

    nb

  4. Re: why no md5 files for alien packages?

    On 2008-06-17, Eric Hameleers wrote:

    > I can see nothing wrong.

    Also, I came to a dead-end with digikam when it said I need libjasper.so.1.
    I have already loaded your libkipi and sqlite3 pkgs, but find no jasper.
    Did you compile from source? I found the source at:

    http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~mdadams/jasper

    .....and a tip to configure with '--enable-dynamic' on the Polish slackware
    forum. Is that how you did it? Any other tips I need to get digikam flying?

    Thanks,
    nb

  5. Re: why no md5 files for alien packages?

    Hallo, notbob,

    Du meintest am 17.06.08:

    > ....and from there I go to digikam > pkg > 12.1 where I click on the:

    > digikam-0.9.3-i486-1alien.tgz.md5

    > ....file which gives me the following error message pop-up:

    Which program do you start when you click on a file with the extension
    *.md5?
    Sounds like Windows ...

    I'd try the CLI way:
    download *.tgz
    download *.md5
    running md5sum

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  6. Re: why no md5 files for alien packages?

    On 2008-06-18, Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > Which program do you start when you click on a file with the extension
    > *.md5?
    > Sounds like Windows ...

    Being in a Slackware newsgroup, it's to be expected I'm running Slackware.
    If it sounds like Window, to you, I suspect operator error. If it sounds
    like X window and related browsers, that's to be expected when viewing
    websites via a browser like firefox or mozilla.

    > I'd try the CLI way:
    > download *.tgz
    > download *.md5
    > running md5sum

    As far as I know, there are no such bash shell commamnds or cli apps as
    download or running. If you mean something like wget, yes, that is an
    option, but does not solve the problem indicated by the error pop-up.
    Currently, the server is not responding at all.

    nb

    > Viele Gruesse
    > Helmut
    >
    > "Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  7. Re: why no md5 files for alien packages?

    Hallo, notbob,

    Du meintest am 18.06.08:

    >> Which program do you start when you click on a file with the
    >> extension *.md5?
    >> Sounds like Windows ...

    > Being in a Slackware newsgroup, it's to be expected I'm running
    > Slackware. If it sounds like Window, to you, I suspect operator
    > error. If it sounds like X window and related browsers, that's to be
    > expected when viewing websites via a browser like firefox or mozilla.

    Ok - you know the difference between Windows and X Window. Marvellous!

    >> I'd try the CLI way:
    >> download *.tgz
    >> download *.md5
    >> running md5sum

    > As far as I know, there are no such bash shell commamnds or cli apps
    > as download or running.

    But why can't you tell me the answer for my question "Which program do
    you start when you click on a file with the extension *.md5"?

    You should try to download the *.md5 file, not to click on it.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  8. Re: why no md5 files for alien packages?

    notbob@nothome.com wrote :

    > Could it be my browser is messing something up?

    I think Firefox expect that *.md5 files has something to do with ssl
    encryption.

    But you can use Konqueror or copy the link location and then download
    the file using 'wget'.
    --
    Thomas O.

  9. Re: why no md5 files for alien packages?

    On 2008-06-18, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > I think Firefox expect that *.md5 files has something to do with ssl
    > encryption.

    > But you can use Konqueror or copy the link location and then download
    > the file using 'wget'.

    Thanks, Thomas. Yes, Konqueror worked, but did not completely resolve the
    problem. It also sees the .md5 file as something other than a simple text
    file, no doubt due to the file extension. But, K gives a more useful error
    pop-up, guessing the file is a possible gzipped tar file and also providing
    an optional 'save as' button, which actually works, so I was able to
    download the file.

    I've never run across this problem with earlier browsers and have always
    been able to either actaully download an .md5 file of at least open and view
    it. Again, I suspect it's an issue with file resolution as you suggested, a
    browser config setting. If I find the solution, I'll get back and post.

    nb

  10. Re: why no md5 files for alien packages?

    notbob@nothome.com wrote :

    > Again, I suspect it's an issue with file resolution as you suggested, a
    > browser config setting. If I find the solution, I'll get back and post.

    Copy /etc/htdig/mime.types to /etc and the *.md5 files are treated as
    text files. Dunno yet if there's any side effects from this.
    --
    Thomas O.

  11. Re: why no md5 files for alien packages?

    notbob@nothome.com wrote :

    > If I find the solution

    Now I feel like a fool, it was the mime type at the server that was
    wrong, and somebody with access to the server has been reading this
    group and fixed the problem.
    --
    Thomas O.

  12. Re: why no md5 files for alien packages?

    On 2008-06-18, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > wrong, and somebody with access to the server has been reading this
    > group and fixed the problem.

    I knew it was something weird. Glad it got cleared up. I guess I should be
    grateful, as slacky.eu doesn't even bother with md5 hashes.

    nb

  13. Re: why no md5 files for alien packages?

    notbob schreef:
    > On 2008-06-17, Eric Hameleers wrote:
    >
    >> I can see nothing wrong.

    > Also, I came to a dead-end with digikam when it said I need libjasper.so.1.
    > I have already loaded your libkipi and sqlite3 pkgs, but find no jasper.
    > Did you compile from source? I found the source at:
    >
    > http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~mdadams/jasper
    >
    > ....and a tip to configure with '--enable-dynamic' on the Polish slackware
    > forum. Is that how you did it? Any other tips I need to get digikam flying?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > nb

    Hm..
    I updated the (too old) dependency list you find at
    http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/digikam/ so that it is
    correct again.
    Jasper is here: http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/jasper/

    Cheers, Eric

  14. Re: why no md5 files for alien packages?

    Thomas Overgaard schreef:
    > notbob@nothome.com wrote :
    >
    >> If I find the solution

    > Now I feel like a fool, it was the mime type at the server that was
    > wrong, and somebody with access to the server has been reading this
    > group and fixed the problem.

    Yes, several of us read it actually, and Pat changed the httpd.conf .

    Eric

  15. Re: why no md5 files for alien packages?

    On 2008-06-19, Eric Hameleers wrote:

    > Hm..
    > I updated the (too old) dependency list you find at
    > http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/digikam/ so that it is
    > correct again.
    > Jasper is here: http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/jasper/

    I bumbled my way through and got all the pkgs loaded. Some were a bit
    vague, like when digikam complains:

    digikam: error while loading shared libraries: libexiv2.so.2 [...]

    .....I, like a dummy, go looking for a libexiv2 pkg. I won't embarrass
    myself on how long it took me to realize I could only get it from the exiv2
    pkg. So, some can be lib* packages and some can't. hmmmm.... Anyway, I
    got it loaded and got digikam up and running.

    Now, to figure out why plugging in a usb anything freezes my sys. But,
    that's another thread. Thank you all for nudging me along.

    nb

+ Reply to Thread