Slack 12.1 - scripts to make usb boot stick and install lilo - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slack 12.1 - scripts to make usb boot stick and install lilo - Slackware ; Installed Slack 12.1 - however, skipped the bit to install/configure kernel, lilo and usb boot stick - booted off of kernel I was using for 12.0 (compiled by myself). however, too much broken. What scripts do I need make the ...

  1. Slack 12.1 - scripts to make usb boot stick and install lilo

    Installed Slack 12.1 - however, skipped the bit to install/configure kernel,
    lilo and usb boot stick - booted off of kernel I was using for 12.0
    (compiled by myself). however, too much broken. What scripts do I need
    make the usb boot stick and install initrd to give me a standard slack
    installation.

    Note, I belive I have all the packages installed, just not run the scripts.

    makebootdisk wants to make a syslinux boot floppy - not the usb stick the
    installer wants to make and running pkgtool and trying to get that to run
    the script does not seem to work.
    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  2. Re: Slack 12.1 - scripts to make usb boot stick and install lilo

    On 2008-06-16, Peter Chant wrote:
    > Installed Slack 12.1 - however, skipped the bit to install/configure kernel,
    > lilo and usb boot stick - booted off of kernel I was using for 12.0
    > (compiled by myself). however, too much broken. What scripts do I need
    > make the usb boot stick and install initrd to give me a standard slack
    > installation.
    >
    > Note, I belive I have all the packages installed, just not run the scripts.
    >
    > makebootdisk wants to make a syslinux boot floppy - not the usb stick the
    > installer wants to make and running pkgtool and trying to get that to run
    > the script does not seem to work.

    usb-and-pxe-installers/

    --
    Greymaus

  3. Re: Slack 12.1 - scripts to make usb boot stick and install lilo

    "greymaus" wrote in message
    > On 2008-06-16, Peter Chant wrote:
    >> Installed Slack 12.1 - however, skipped the bit to install/configure
    >> kernel,
    >> lilo and usb boot stick - booted off of kernel I was using for 12.0
    >> (compiled by myself). however, too much broken. What scripts do I
    >> need
    >> make the usb boot stick and install initrd to give me a standard
    >> slack
    >> installation.
    >>
    >> Note, I belive I have all the packages installed, just not run the
    >> scripts.
    >>
    >> makebootdisk wants to make a syslinux boot floppy - not the usb stick
    >> the
    >> installer wants to make and running pkgtool and trying to get that to
    >> run
    >> the script does not seem to work.

    > usb-and-pxe-installers/
    >
    > --
    > Greymaus

    Hey 'greymaus', didn't you forget a little useful
    detail? ??

    Titeotwawki -- mha [2008 Jun 17]

  4. Re: Slack 12.1 - scripts to make usb boot stick and install lilo

    On 2008-06-17, Martha Adams wrote:

    > "greymaus" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-06-16, Peter Chant wrote:
    >>> Installed Slack 12.1 - however, skipped the bit to install/configure
    >>> kernel,
    >>> lilo and usb boot stick - booted off of kernel I was using for 12.0
    >>> (compiled by myself). however, too much broken. What scripts do I
    >>> need
    >>> make the usb boot stick and install initrd to give me a standard
    >>> slack
    >>> installation.
    >>>
    >>> Note, I belive I have all the packages installed, just not run the
    >>> scripts.
    >>>
    >>> makebootdisk wants to make a syslinux boot floppy - not the usb stick
    >>> the
    >>> installer wants to make and running pkgtool and trying to get that to
    >>> run
    >>> the script does not seem to work.

    >> usb-and-pxe-installers/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Greymaus

    > Hey 'greymaus', didn't you forget a little useful
    > detail? ??
    >
    > Titeotwawki -- mha [2008 Jun 17]

    Wasn't sure I understood the question. It started out about skipping
    install usb/lilo/ and went on for a script to make a bootable usb stick.
    (Alien has a utility to make a usb bootable sytem, never worked for me)

    Are u going to lost the `alt' groups (verison?)

    --
    Greymaus

  5. Re: Slack 12.1 - scripts to make usb boot stick and install lilo

    greymaus wrote:

    >> makebootdisk wants to make a syslinux boot floppy - not the usb stick the
    >> installer wants to make and running pkgtool and trying to get that to run
    >> the script does not seem to work.

    > usb-and-pxe-installers/

    That's not the problem I'm afriad. I've already installed, I do not need to
    do a usb install. During this installation I avoided configuring lilo and
    selecting a kernel as I would use the one off my slack-12.0 installation
    and did not want to mess up my old lilo configuration. Unfortunately this
    did not work. Efforts setting up lilo and making an initrd have also not
    worked. Therefore I want to (re-)run the installation lilo and initrd
    config scripts.

    With both old and new kernels for some reason proc is not mounting.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  6. Re: Slack 12.1 - scripts to make usb boot stick and install lilo

    Peter Chant wrote:

    > With both old and new kernels for some reason proc is not mounting.

    Following up myself - proc now mounting and all is well. Not sure how I
    fixed it - after I had deleted and re-created the mount point it worked and
    I now boot fine.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  7. Re: Slack 12.1 - scripts to make usb boot stick and install lilo

    On 2008-06-17, Peter Chant wrote:
    > Peter Chant wrote:
    >

    >> With both old and new kernels for some reason proc is not mounting.

    > Following up myself - proc now mounting and all is well. Not sure how I
    > fixed it - after I had deleted and re-created the mount point it worked and
    > I now boot fine.
    >
    > Pete

    Alls well that ends well. I had a bad moment when rebooting after
    upgrading, second boot worked fine. (mixed up initrd, AFAIK).
    Cheers

    --
    Greymaus

  8. Re: Slack 12.1 - scripts to make usb boot stick and install lilo

    greymaus wrote:

    > Alls well that ends well. I had a bad moment when rebooting after
    > upgrading, second boot worked fine. (mixed up initrd, AFAIK).
    > Cheers

    Must admit that initrd was a mystery to me, been compiling my own kernels
    for over 10 years now, building in the essential drivers. With older
    kernels it was just about possible to remember which bits were important,
    if in doubt it probably was not. For 12.0 I initially (I think) just
    copied PV's default config and added in ext3 and reiser drivers so initrd
    was not required. There are now so many options now that on a new install
    building your own just does not seem to be a sensible starting place any
    more.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread