MYSQL - Slackware 12.1 - Slackware

This is a discussion on MYSQL - Slackware 12.1 - Slackware ; I am having a difficult time configuring the stock MYSQL package for 12.1 I would like to have the default engine = innodb I have tried adding default-storage-engine = INNODB in my.cnf - go good I have also tried --default-storage-engine=INNODB ...

  1. MYSQL - Slackware 12.1

    I am having a difficult time configuring the stock MYSQL package for 12.1

    I would like to have the default engine = innodb

    I have tried adding
    default-storage-engine = INNODB in my.cnf - go good

    I have also tried --default-storage-engine=INNODB when starting mysql,
    and still no luck.

    I have also uncommented the innodb option in my.cnf.

    Any insight on what I might be doing wrong would be great.

    Thanks,

    Bob De Mars
    --

    A man without an answer
    Is like a bird with broken wings

  2. Re: MYSQL - Slackware 12.1

    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...iguration.html

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    I read usenet and lists in pine. But m$ outlook, thunderbird and gmail
    often use html span/whatever for quotes, makes it hard to tell who said
    what, so I dont try. If I ignore you, thats why! Use a compliant mailer.

  3. Re: MYSQL - Slackware 12.1

    Hallo, Bob,

    Du meintest am 16.06.08:

    > I am having a difficult time configuring the stock MYSQL package for
    > 12.1

    > I would like to have the default engine = innodb

    > I have tried adding
    > default-storage-engine = INNODB in my.cnf - go good

    Why?
    It's the default engine, no need to declare it.

    > I have also tried --default-storage-engine=INNODB when starting
    > mysql, and still no luck.

    What error is reported?

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  4. Re: MYSQL - Slackware 12.1

    On 2008-06-16, Bob De Mars wrote:
    > I am having a difficult time configuring the stock MYSQL package for 12.1
    >
    > I would like to have the default engine = innodb
    >
    > I have tried adding
    > default-storage-engine = INNODB in my.cnf - go good
    >
    > I have also tried --default-storage-engine=INNODB when starting mysql,
    > and still no luck.
    >
    > I have also uncommented the innodb option in my.cnf.
    >
    > Any insight on what I might be doing wrong would be great.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob De Mars

    Try looking in the file /var/lib/mysql/localhost.err ... might give some
    info.

    I'm using an older version of mysql and slack...maybe it's called something
    else.

    Should be in the same dir as the mysql databases

    ken

  5. Re: MYSQL - Slackware 12.1

    Hallo, Jeffrey,

    Du meintest am 17.06.08:

    >>> I have tried adding
    >>> default-storage-engine = INNODB in my.cnf - go good

    >> Why?
    >> It's the default engine, no need to declare it.

    > MySQL's default engine is MyISAM. To obtain a default of INNODB, it
    > must be explicitly configured.

    Sure?
    I use MySQL for some years under slackware, without any special
    configuration.

    /var/lib/mysql/.err

    tells for the last reboot (some hours ago)

    080617 07:33:06 mysqld started
    080617 7:33:08 InnoDB: Started; log sequence ...

    Nothing with MyISAM.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  6. Re: MYSQL - Slackware 12.1

    Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > Sure?

    Quite sure :-) See
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...e-engines.html :

    "MyISAM is supported in all MySQL configurations, and is the default storage
    engine unless you have configured MySQL to use a different one by default."

    Slackware doesn't change this setting, but of course you can. To see what
    your server's default engine is, try this command at a mysql prompt:

    mysql> show engines;

    The default engine is listed first, and clearly marked "DEFAULT". On all of
    my Slackware installations, the default engine is MyISAM.

    > /var/lib/mysql/.err
    >
    > tells for the last reboot (some hours ago)
    >
    > 080617 *07:33:06 mysqld started
    > 080617 * 7:33:08 InnoDB: Started; log sequence ...

    This indicates that the MySQL is built with INNODB support, but in order to
    make use of this support the various innodb_* options in /etc/my.cnf must
    be uncommented.

    In order to make INNODB the *default* engine, the default-storage-engine
    option must also be added.

    > Nothing with MyISAM.

    The MyISAM engine doesn't show up in the *.err file because it doesn't
    require independent startup procedures, but INNODB does.

    Jeffrey

  7. Re: MYSQL - Slackware 12.1

    Hallo, Jeffrey,

    Du meintest am 17.06.08:

    > mysql> show engines;

    > The default engine is listed first, and clearly marked "DEFAULT". On
    > all of my Slackware installations, the default engine is MyISAM.

    Same here.
    InnoDB is the third engine.

    >> /var/lib/mysql/.err
    >>
    >> tells for the last reboot (some hours ago)
    >>
    >> 080617 *07:33:06 mysqld started
    >> 080617 * 7:33:08 InnoDB: Started; log sequence ...

    > This indicates that the MySQL is built with INNODB support, but in
    > order to make use of this support the various innodb_* options in
    > /etc/my.cnf must be uncommented.

    Sure?
    I have a very small "/etc/mysql/my.cnf" (about 4 years old).

    grep -i inno /etc/mysql/my.cnf
    grep -i isam /etc/mysql/my.cnf

    both show no such line

    I've looked into the "my-huge.cnf" etc. - I have seen those lines there.

    >> Nothing with MyISAM.

    > The MyISAM engine doesn't show up in the *.err file because it
    > doesn't require independent startup procedures, but INNODB does.

    Ok - sounds like my system serves ISAM as well as InnoDB.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  8. Re: MYSQL - Slackware 12.1

    Helmut Hullen wrote:

    >> This indicates that the MySQL is built with INNODB support, but in
    >> order to make use of this support the various innodb_* options in
    >> /etc/my.cnf must be uncommented.

    > Sure?
    > I have a very small "/etc/mysql/my.cnf" (about 4 years old).
    >
    > grep -i inno /etc/mysql/my.cnf
    > grep -i isam /etc/mysql/my.cnf
    >
    > both show no such line

    I don't know where your /etc/my.cnf comes from. As you noticed
    in /etc/my-huge.cnf, my-*.cnf samples that ship with Slackware all contain
    the appropriate innodb lines, all commented. They also contains some lines
    that configure MyISAM.

    It is my understanding that the innodb lines are required in order to use
    the INNODB engine, but that default values for the MyISAM engine are baked
    in to the server, and so do not require configuration. Thus, I suspect that
    you are using only MyISAM tables, even though your server is capable of
    supporting both engine types.

    You can check the engine that is being used for each table by issuing the
    following at a mysql prompt:

    mysql> show create table ;

    Jeffrey

  9. Re: MYSQL - Slackware 12.1

    Hallo, Jeffrey,

    Du meintest am 18.06.08:

    > Thus, I suspect that you are using only MyISAM tables, even though
    > your server is capable of supporting both engine types.

    That's it!
    I've looked into some DBs with "phpMyAdmin" - they all show "MyISAM" as
    type.

    Thank you!

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  10. Re: MYSQL - Slackware 12.1

    No_One wrote:

    > Try looking in the file /var/lib/mysql/localhost.err ... might give some
    > info.

    *Ahh Hah!* Thanks for the insight. I checked, and this is what I found:

    080616 15:56:27 mysqld started
    InnoDB: Error: data file /var/lib/mysql/ibdata1 is of a different size
    InnoDB: 640 pages (rounded down to MB)
    InnoDB: than specified in the .cnf file 128000 pages!
    InnoDB: Could not open or create data files.
    InnoDB: If you tried to add new data files, and it failed here,
    InnoDB: you should now edit innodb_data_file_path in my.cnf back
    InnoDB: to what it was, and remove the new ibdata files InnoDB created
    InnoDB: in this failed attempt. InnoDB only wrote those files full of
    InnoDB: zeros, but did not yet use them in any way. But be careful: do not
    InnoDB: remove old data files which contain your precious data!
    080616 15:56:29 [Note] /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections.
    Version: '5.0.51b-log' socket: '/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock' port: 0
    Source distribution

    show engines; reveled:

    | InnoDB | DISABLED | Supports transactions, row-level locking, and
    foreign keys

    No I must figure out how to correct this error, and I am on my way.

    Thanks to all who responded. It was very useful.

    Kind Regards,

    Bob

    --

    A man without an answer