Laptop - Slackware

This is a discussion on Laptop - Slackware ; Thomas Ronayne wrote: > Other than that, I can't stand those finger pads so I keep a USB wheel > mouse plugged in and both work just fine out of the box at the same > time. She has had, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Laptop

  1. Re: Laptop

    Thomas Ronayne wrote:

    > Other than that, I can't stand those finger pads so I keep a USB wheel
    > mouse plugged in and both work just fine out of the box at the same
    > time.


    She has had, unlike me, experience of laptops, and her requirements were
    that it did have a port into which a mouse could be plugged, for the
    same reason as yourself. I have ordered, on recommendation, a
    relatively inexpensive model with no OS, (she already uses mine with
    Slackware 12.1, so re-learning was going to be no problem for her, and
    why dual boot so Bill can get richer), costing about US $490 as she
    really only needs to be able to browse the Web, collect her email, and
    some word processing
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  2. Re: Laptop

    invalid@example.com wrote:

    > Zenwalk has a meticulously-trimmed software selection, but that
    > doesn't mean it's incomplete. No way. Wolvix 1.1 "Hunter Edition",
    > for example, is far from incomplete, and it only takes up 480MB
    > on the CD. Zenwalk uses a simple philosophy: "You only need one
    > program for each task."...


    Which one can have with Slackware! Its just that one has the opportunity
    of making a choice from the various packages provided. The selection
    can be made from the menu when one installs, one is not presented with
    a single application chosen by Zenwalk, one can choose from several.

    I seem to recall that there was a period, when following the release of
    each new version of Slackware, several of those posting to this
    newsgroup would seemingly compete with each other to see who could
    obtain the smallest working install of Slackware. However in those days
    I was saving up for a 5 Gb hard drive, which not only *really* big at
    the time but also expensive.

    Up until version 11 even I installed using the menu and choosing
    applications to leave out. I didn't for instance ever use, or
    install 'Gnome', or TeTex, or Emacs or the Gimp, the more I think about
    the longer the list of what I didn't install gets. Now having two hard
    drives one of 40 Gb and one of 160 Gb, I just install everything, I
    just don't use most of it. In the case under consideration, (my
    daughters laptop), It will be delivered with a 120 Gb hard drive, so an
    install of somewhere in the region of 5% , (including swap), is a
    relatively low use of the available space. However with Slackware one
    is given choices, a distribution which comes with only "one
    program for each task.", leaves one with no choice other than to use it,
    or something else!

    Slackware presents one with an enormous choice, (some still regret the
    absence of Gnome), completely integrated within and of itself, the is
    the menu to install what one needs or wants, and pkgtool to take out
    programmes one find surplus one's needs or wants. As you say
    > ...Not better. Just different.

    Perhaps one should also add. Without the same level of choice.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  3. Re: Laptop

    Two Ravens wrote:
    [zenwalk]
    > relatively low use of the available space. However with Slackware one
    > is given choices, a distribution which comes with only "one
    > program for each task.", leaves one with no choice other than to use it,
    > or something else!


    well, zenwalk also gives the user choice, just not in the base install. it
    comes with a program (netpkg IIRC) where you can choose to install many
    more programs than the ones installed by default.


    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
    EN:SiS(9)

  4. Re: Laptop

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:58:41 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > On 2008-06-17, invalid@example.com wrote:
    >> What does that have to do with the question of whether Zenwalk
    >> out-Slackwares Slackware? I think it does.

    >
    > That's retarded. Nothing can out-Slackware Slackware because Slackware
    > defines Slackware!


    Indeed. The expression as applied to anything else is contentious, as
    well as clumsy. However, what the author meant is that Zenwalk does a
    good job of following the Slackware philosophy of KISS. Which it does.

    More importantly, could one learn anything useful from what Zenwalk does?

    > Please note that this is alt.os.linux.slackware, not
    > alt.os.linux.slackware.forks or alt.os.linux.zenwalk.


    To do it justice, do understand that Zenwalk is not a fork of Slackware,
    in the same way that Ubuntu is not a fork of Debian. It is a derivative
    distribution. Each time a new Slackware is released, the Zenwalk
    developers rebase their distro on it. They clearly admire and depend
    upon Pat as much as anyone else in here does.

  5. Re: Laptop

    Joost Kremers wrote:

    > well, zenwalk also gives the user choice, just not in the base
    > install. it comes with a program (netpkg IIRC) where you can choose to
    > install many more programs than the ones installed by default.


    Agreed, but the same can be said of Slackware, over and above the
    initial choice one can add extra programmes/applications, there's
    http://slackbuilds.org/ Linuxpackages and download > ./configure > make
    > make install. The point is that one has on the disk/disks an

    extensive choice, all integrated and working nicely from which one can
    chose. I'm not arguing with:
    > ...Not better. Just different.

    However as I wrote, the caveat is "Without the same level of choice."
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  6. Re: Laptop

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    +Alan Hicks+ wrote:
    >




    > That's retarded. Nothing can out-Slackware Slackware because Slackware
    > defines Slackware!




    BL.
    - --
    Brad Littlejohn | Email: tyketto@sbcglobal.net
    Unix Systems Administrator, | tyketto@ozemail.com.au
    Web + NewsMaster, BOFH.. Smeghead! | http://www.wizard.com/~tyketto
    PGP: 1024D/E319F0BF 6980 AAD6 7329 E9E6 D569 F620 C819 199A E319 F0BF

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFIWIBGyBkZmuMZ8L8RAm+QAKCmxaF/LtPftBvDGdxn9sZdC3tiDgCg4MjI
    Qj6g+NC9288mzhbg/bscQ1Y=
    =aBAO
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  7. Re: Laptop

    Two Ravens wrote:

    > My daughter would like a laptop for her birthday, Dell do an Inspiron
    > 1525 that I could afford...


    In the end I found an inexpensive laptop that came without an Operating
    System, getting Slackware 12.1 installed proved interesting, the 12.1
    DVD would only boot as far as the very first line, Ioslinux... then sit
    for a very long time until it told me that, ...boot had failed hit any
    key to retry..., I then tried Slax that functioned, I had burned the CD
    on my computer, Ubuntu 8.04 from a "Linux Format" cover DVD disk
    installed, and I used that to partition the drive, I then having had
    the prior success with the Slax Disk, I tried Slackware 12.1 Cd's that
    I had made on my Computer, these achieved the install, every thing that
    I can test seems to be working so far. Once the novelty of the touchpad
    had worn off, I could see my daughters point in wanting a 'proper
    mouse', whether I will have problems when I try to connect a USB mouse
    remains to be seen when I come back from the shops.

    I don't know what the problem with the DVD's/CD's is, whether it is a
    problem with the drive or the discs themselves, perhaps the drive needs
    running in, I found that once Slackware was installed I could read
    the 'Official' Slackware 12.1 DVD. Having spent most of the night
    making the install I am reluctant to try and re-install from the DVD.

    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2