[ANN] Opera 9.50 SlackBuild - Slackware

This is a discussion on [ANN] Opera 9.50 SlackBuild - Slackware ; The Opera 9.50 web browser and email+newsgroups+chat client has been released; see opera.com for more information. I thought some of you might be interested in having a proper Slackware package for it. Of course, a source build script is not ...

  1. [ANN] Opera 9.50 SlackBuild

    The Opera 9.50 web browser and email+newsgroups+chat client has been
    released; see opera.com for more information. I thought some of you might
    be interested in having a proper Slackware package for it. Of course, a
    source build script is not possible since Opera is not open source. But
    here is a build script that downloads the official binaries from the Opera
    website and packages them up:

    http://www.inlv.demon.nl/slackbuilds...ckBuild.tar.gz

    This script uses the binaries that are dynamically linked to the Qt
    graphical toolkit libaries included with Slackware. So you need Qt
    installed and working. I've tested it on Slackware 11.0 and 12.1.

    By default, the architecture ($ARCH) is `i386' for standard Slackware. But
    Opera provides binaries for other architectures as well. To build a
    package for Slackintosh or Slamd64, set ARCH to `ppc' or `x86_64',
    respectively. For example:
    $ ARCH=ppc ./opera.SlackBuild

    Have fun,

    - Martijn

  2. Re: [ANN] Opera 9.50 SlackBuild

  3. Re: [ANN] Opera 9.50 SlackBuild

    Op Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:45:23 +0200 schreef Federico Savini
    :

    > wget
    > http://repository.slacky.eu/slackwar...0-i386-1as.tgz

    Ah, didn't know about that one. Does the license permit redistribution of
    the binaries itself? I tried reading it, but it's not clear to me.

    - M.

  4. Re: [ANN] Opera 9.50 SlackBuild

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 21:30:20 +0200, Martijn Dekker wrote:

    > Op Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:45:23 +0200 schreef Federico Savini
    > :
    >
    >> wget
    >> http://repository.slacky.eu/slackwar...9.50/en/opera-

    en-9.50-i386-1as.tgz

    > Ah, didn't know about that one. Does the license permit redistribution
    > of the binaries itself? I tried reading it, but it's not clear to me.

    If you dig around the Opera site you can find and fill in a form that
    will license you to redistribute Opera binaries in a non-commercial
    manner, subject to not-too-unreasonable constraints.

  5. Re: [ANN] Opera 9.50 SlackBuild

    Martijn Dekker wrote
    in newsp.ucqn6xgr8yp8m0@aspie.inlv.org on 14.06.2008:

    > The Opera 9.50 web browser and email+newsgroups+chat client has been
    > released; see opera.com for more information. I thought some of you might
    > be interested in having a proper Slackware package for it. Of course, a
    > source build script is not possible since Opera is not open source. But
    > here is a build script that downloads the official binaries from the Opera
    > website and packages them up:
    >
    > http://www.inlv.demon.nl/slackbuilds...ckBuild.tar.gz
    >
    > This script uses the binaries that are dynamically linked to the Qt
    > graphical toolkit libaries included with Slackware. So you need Qt
    > installed and working. I've tested it on Slackware 11.0 and 12.1.
    >
    > By default, the architecture ($ARCH) is `i386' for standard Slackware. But
    > Opera provides binaries for other architectures as well. To build a
    > package for Slackintosh or Slamd64, set ARCH to `ppc' or `x86_64',
    > respectively. For example:
    > $ ARCH=ppc ./opera.SlackBuild
    >
    > Have fun,
    >
    > - Martijn

    Thanks Martijn and Having fun. I like Opera a lot!

+ Reply to Thread