OT: BEA Diary - Slackware

This is a discussion on OT: BEA Diary - Slackware ; Each year I post this because I know that some of the Slackware readers here want a bit of sanity in their lives. No, it has nothing to do with Slackware, but there are a few good-looking babes in it... ...

  1. OT: BEA Diary

    Each year I post this because I know that some of the Slackware readers
    here want a bit of sanity in their lives. No, it has nothing to do with
    Slackware, but there are a few good-looking babes in it... and it is
    well known that most Slackware users have not had a date in a very long
    time!

    http://asaturdayrant.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/5qtqex

    Of course, Dan C. is not one of them... but as I've said for so many,
    many years, if you are going to be on this newsgroup you need to
    understand that it is run by a wild pack of dogs... and Dan C. is the
    lead hound.

    BTW, what ever happened to Melissa? She must have graduated from U.C.
    Davis by now with her Ph.D. Anyone heard from her? Is she still on this
    NG?

    ANC

  2. Re: OT: BEA Diary

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 20:23:11 -0700, ANC wrote:

    > Each year I post this because I know that some of the Slackware readers
    > here want a bit of sanity in their lives.

    Har! LOL! I knew it. It's like chumming for sharks. They show up every
    time.

    > No, it has nothing to do with Slackware, but there are a few
    > good-looking babes in it...

    Damn, you sure have a different definition of "good-looking babes" than I
    do. Other than the one with the big plastic tits, all I saw were dogs
    (not including that emaciated greyhound-looking mutt). Mostly fat, old
    ugly dogs, at that.

    > and it is well known that most Slackware users have not had a date in a
    > very long time!

    Could be, dunno. I've been married for almost 25 years, so doesn't apply.

    > http://asaturdayrant.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html

    Quite a lame event, although to your credit you even admit as much.

    > Of course, Dan C. is not one of them... but as I've said for so many,
    > many years, if you are going to be on this newsgroup you need to
    > understand that it is run by a wild pack of dogs... and Dan C. is the
    > lead hound.

    > BTW, what ever happened to Melissa? She must have graduated from U.C.
    > Davis by now with her Ph.D. Anyone heard from her? Is she still on this
    > NG?

    Haven't seen her around.

    Well, damn. Two long-lost blabber-mouths show back up on the same day.
    Interesting. Good to see you're still as lame as you ever were, ANC.

    Smeg off.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  3. Re: OT: BEA Diary

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, ANC wrote:

    > well known that most Slackware users have not had a date in a very long
    > time!

    This is because most of us are married or with a long term partner and
    that is because Slackware is so incredibly stable and reliable and doesnt
    need 30 updates a week, or midnight callouts or double shifts that we have
    a fantastic stable love life, unlike those dweebs that run debian, redhat
    and win$hit networks :P

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    I read usenet and lists in pine. But m$ outlook, thunderbird and gmail
    often use html span/whatever for quotes, makes it hard to tell who said
    what, so I dont try. If I ignore you, thats why! Use a compliant mailer.

  4. Re: OT: BEA Diary

    On 2008-06-14, Dan C wrote:
    > Haven't seen her around.
    >
    > Well, damn. Two long-lost blabber-mouths show back up on the same day.
    > Interesting. Good to see you're still as lame as you ever were, ANC.
    >
    > Smeg off.

    You might check the headers....it was or is friday the 13th....

    ken

  5. Re: OT: BEA Diary

    On Jun 13, 11:23 pm, ANC
    wrote:
    > Each year I post this because I know that some of the Slackware readers
    > here want a bit of sanity in their lives. No, it has nothing to do with
    > Slackware, but there are a few good-looking babes in it... and it is
    > well known that most Slackware users have not had a date in a very long
    > time!
    >
    > http://asaturdayrant.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html
    > orhttp://tinyurl.com/5qtqex
    >
    > Of course, Dan C. is not one of them... but as I've said for so many,
    > many years, if you are going to be on this newsgroup you need to
    > understand that it is run by a wild pack of dogs... and Dan C. is the
    > lead hound.
    >
    > BTW, what ever happened to Melissa? She must have graduated from U.C.
    > Davis by now with her Ph.D. Anyone heard from her? Is she still on this
    > NG?
    >
    > ANC

    Since you now use OS X why do you post here? Are you that lonely?

    John C.

  6. Re: OT: BEA Diary

    ANC wrote:

    > Each year I post this because I know that some of the Slackware readers
    > here want a bit of sanity in their lives.

    Each night you search this group, hoping to find some positive mention of
    yourself. So, let's see what you found: Dan C puts you in the same class
    as Roger. Two Ravens suggests Dan C can "call you up" with his "mojo."
    No_One says the proper incantation is "market share." And Ravens points
    our that you returned on Friday the 13th. Are you seeing a pattern here?

    > BTW, what ever happened to Melissa? She must have graduated from U.C.
    > Davis by now with her Ph.D. Anyone heard from her? Is she still on this
    > NG?

    Melissa? You're hot for Melissa? She knows where to find you (and how to
    call you up).

    --
    Old Man

    If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. -
    John Kenneth Galbraith

  7. Re: OT: BEA Diary

    In article
    <4951b47c-d7d0-4c72-9e6c-55ac321ba8e0@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
    "john@wexfordpress.com" wrote:

    > Since you now use OS X why do you post here? Are you that lonely?
    >
    > John C.

    This is great. I know John (Culleton) of the so-called Wexford Press,
    although no one can recall anything he ever published of note. Anyway,
    John (whom I met in Wash. DC a few few years ago... is a gentleman in
    public although a total asshole on the Pub-Forum listserv as well as the
    Self-Publishing (yahoo) group which he co-mods... much to the
    disagreement of his two fellow mods (I met them both in LA two weeks
    ago... they talk.)

    John calls himself a book designer.

    Here is a guy who tries with little success to compose books using TeX
    and LaTex and a whole bunch of other lame and antiquated tools. I've
    seen his work, and ... lets just answer with literary diplomacy and say
    that (like Oakland) "There is no there there." John is capable of using
    In Design and the Adobe Creative Suite, but he's just too stubborn to do
    so. As a result none of the top-tier (or even middle-tier) publishers
    will hire him. He gets his work from newbie publishers who don't know
    any better.

    In a way you have to admire his stubbornness on a personal level, but on
    a business level it makes no sense. If you want to drive a horse and
    carriage as do the Amish, fine. But don't try to compete on the freeway
    in CA with a Beemer... because in the hands of a good designer that is
    what the Adobe products are. So... perhaps more power to him... although
    I think if you are going to use a tool... even an old one... you need to
    have the (creative) ability to use it well... and while I have no doubt
    that John has excellent Unix skills, he has zero book design skills.
    Nada. None.

    And to answer his question, I still have one laptop that runs Slackware.
    And with more people using OS X (FreeBSD which beats crap out of Linux)
    than Linux of any distribution, how could one be "lonely?"

    There is not one thing that Slackware does better than OS X. Not one.
    Yes, you can run it on different hardware... but so what. OS X runs on
    hardware "mated" to it as opposed to being like Linux which is not so
    much an operating system as it is a small kernel with a bunch of mostly
    poorly designed utilities cobbled together and bolted on to it.

    Think about it. If Linux was "going to happen" as everyone predicted
    (and keeps predicting) it would have "happened" by now!

    Lonely? You Slackware users must be the Maytag repair people of
    computer-world.... or perhaps the Rodney Dangerfields... as you get no
    respect from the media or even your own Linux colleagues... who all fawn
    over SuSE or Ubuntu. Slackware? "Is that old thing still around? It was
    the best that 1996 had to offer."

    ANC

  8. Re: OT: BEA Diary

    In article ,
    Old Man wrote:

    > Each night you search this group, hoping to find some positive mention of
    > yourself.

    Positive? There is nothing positive about this newsgroup. Every thread
    disintegrates into a flame war. You people don't know how to disagree
    all you know how to do is fight with each other... year after year after
    year? You (especially Old Man) never get tired of it. Slackware is the
    embodiment of the Klingon culture... without the parts about honor and
    integrity.

    Indeed, this group IS a pack of wild dogs... and for most of the
    subscribers here the view never changes.

    Always nice to stop by here every once in awhile and see that while the
    rest of the Linux world has moved on and tried (without much success) to
    become "mainstream", the Slackware group is still the way it was in the
    90s. And why not? After all, Slackware IS the best Linux that 1996 had
    to offer... and still is.

    ANC

  9. Re: OT: BEA Diary

    ANC wrote:

    > And with more people using OS X (FreeBSD which beats crap out of Linux)

    How exactly does FreeBSD beat the crap out of Linux? For a while there,
    FreeBSD did outperform Linux in pretty much every benchmark (other than
    availability of drivers and native binaries for applications). It did so
    at the expense of a twisted and complicated kernel that was only maintainable
    by those working on it (and they liked it that way). Linux caught up and
    surpassed it for a bit (sticking to Linus' philosophy of simplicity over
    "elegant but complicated"). The last I read, FreeBSD made a comeback and was
    beating Linux in most benchmarks. How will things compare 5 years down the
    road? Which OS has the greatest long term prospects? Time will tell.

    One benefit of FreeBSD is the "stable" kernel is stable, where as that
    term is a bit of a joke with Linux "stable". You really have to wait and
    see when it comes to each stable release of Linux - but that isn't much
    of a problem, and we have The Man to look to for guidance in that respect.

    Oh, wait, you are under the belief that OS X runs FreeBSD under the hood.
    Well, I believe FreeBSD and Mach are both derivatives of BSD - Mach, and
    ultimately NeXT, followed by OS X, are not direct descendants of FreeBSD -
    more of a sibling. So, you are comparing Linux 2.6.x to a kernel what
    is 15, 20, more years old? Bottom line - you are not running FreeBSD,
    or even BSD - not even Mach. Darwin, if I remember, is a derivative
    of Mach, with some **** from FreeBSD. Even if Darwin was completely based
    off of FreeBSD, that was FreeBSD around 2000 - and Linux was surpassing
    FreeBSD soon after that. So, you are just pulling **** out of your ass
    (as usual).

    > There is not one thing that Slackware does better than OS X. Not one.

    Such a statement is not true when comparing any OS. One reason why I
    would never be able to use OS X (or MS Windows) on a regular basis is the
    lack of configurability with respect to how the windows react. For instance,
    I prefer sloppy focus, where the active window is not forced to be on top.
    I have much more control over the user interface on Linux than I would ever
    have on OS X.

    Linux is actually open source. There is a quick patch I need to make to
    my kernel (just a few lines of code). I can do this right now - I don't
    have to wait for Apple to release an update. Darwin is open source, but
    that is about it.

    Linux is free (as in freedom). Apple products are very restrictive.

    A default Slackware install comes with a vast array of compilers, tools,
    applications, etc....

    Out of the box, you can create fully encrypted systems on Slackware. Great
    for laptops when you are on the go. Can OS X do this, or do you need to
    buy extra proprietary software that probably has a backdoor or two in
    it?

    Linux supports a *huge* variety of file systems - what about the Mac?
    This came in very handy years ago when I had to consolidate data from
    various external hard drives all from different operating systems.

    ETC.

    > Think about it. If Linux was "going to happen" as everyone predicted
    > (and keeps predicting) it would have "happened" by now!

    Seems to be happening just fine - been using it for a decade, and watching
    it grow for about 15 years.

    - Kurt

  10. Re: OT: BEA Diary

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 20:23:11 -0700, ANC wrote:

    yaawwwwnnnn

    now **** the **** off

    *plonk*

  11. Re: OT: BEA Diary

    In article ,
    mister b wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 20:23:11 -0700, ANC wrote:
    >

    > yaawwwwnnnn
    >

    > now **** the **** off
    >
    > *plonk*

    Oh lord, oh lord. It's so much fun. I play you people like an old
    violin. There is nothing more predictable in the entire world than the
    reaction of a Slackware user to someone who dares disagree with them.

    Some of the names change, but the culture never does, nor does the
    collective IQ of the group. One can play the same old tunes and you all
    still get up and dance.

    It warms my heart. You people are an affirmation of faith.

    ANC

  12. Re: OT: BEA Diary

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:52:50 -0700, ANC wrote:

    > There is nothing more predictable in the entire world than the reaction
    > of a Slackware user to someone who dares disagree with them.

    Occam's Razor says that the bad reaction you get is more to do with
    posting stuff that's both off-topic *and* boring.

  13. Re: OT: BEA Diary

    Mark Madsen wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:52:50 -0700, ANC wrote:
    >
    >> There is nothing more predictable in the entire world than the reaction
    >> of a Slackware user to someone who dares disagree with them.

    > Occam's Razor says that the bad reaction you get is more to do with
    > posting stuff that's both off-topic *and* boring.

    Actually, Ockham's Razor is the sort of thing that appeals to weak minds
    who are not capable of understanding any but the simplest of explanations.

    Minds like yours.

    Bugger off.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  14. Re: OT: BEA Diary

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:24:26 -0400, realto margarino wrote:

    > Mark Madsen wrote:
    >> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:52:50 -0700, ANC wrote:
    >>
    >>> There is nothing more predictable in the entire world than the
    >>> reaction of a Slackware user to someone who dares disagree with them.

    >> Occam's Razor says that the bad reaction you get is more to do with
    >> posting stuff that's both off-topic *and* boring.

    > Actually, Ockham's Razor is the sort of thing that appeals to weak minds
    > who are not capable of understanding any but the simplest of
    > explanations.
    >
    > Minds like yours.
    >
    > Bugger off.

    Thank you for your generous and considered contribution.

+ Reply to Thread