why no sqlite2 or 3? - Slackware

This is a discussion on why no sqlite2 or 3? - Slackware ; Someone is getting careless. I try and run zenwalk and get this: A required module was not found. No module named dbapi2.pysqlite2 or sqlite3 WTF! This is a full bore "everything", including the kitchen sink, install. Why I no got ...

  1. why no sqlite2 or 3?

    Someone is getting careless. I try and run zenwalk and get this:

    A required module was not found.

    No module named dbapi2.pysqlite2 or sqlite3

    WTF! This is a full bore "everything", including the kitchen sink, install.
    Why I no got dis module? Since when does Slackware come WITHOUT everything
    needed to run what's included? I'm starting to see this sqlite needed
    everywhere. Why I no gots? Is it suppose to be included and I screwed up
    my install? I'd rather believe that than Pat just tossing together a
    new release to meet a deadline. Sure, nmap works ok, but......

    nb

  2. Re: why no sqlite2 or 3?

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 00:25:43 +0000, notbob wrote:

    > Someone is getting careless. I try and run zenwalk and get this:
    >

    > A required module was not found.
    >
    > No module named dbapi2.pysqlite2 or sqlite3
    >

    > WTF! This is a full bore "everything", including the kitchen sink, install.
    > Why I no got dis module? Since when does Slackware come WITHOUT everything
    > needed to run what's included? I'm starting to see this sqlite needed
    > everywhere. Why I no gots? Is it suppose to be included and I screwed up
    > my install? I'd rather believe that than Pat just tossing together a
    > new release to meet a deadline. Sure, nmap works ok, but......
    >
    > nb

    Yup, that was a head-scratcher.

    Again, these are available at slackbuilds.org.

    I'm sure there was a reason ... Maybe one becomes an unwanted dependency
    for something else if installed? I've heard this given as one reason why
    postgres is not included with Slack. Still could have stuck it in /extra
    or /testing I suppose.

  3. Re: why no sqlite2 or 3?

    On 2008-06-12, notbob wrote:
    > Someone is getting careless. I try and run zenwalk and get this:

    Apparently it's you - did you mean "zenmap" instead of "zenwalk" there?

    ;-)

    > A required module was not found.
    >
    > No module named dbapi2.pysqlite2 or sqlite3
    >

    > WTF! This is a full bore "everything", including the kitchen sink, install.
    > Why I no got dis module? Since when does Slackware come WITHOUT everything
    > needed to run what's included? I'm starting to see this sqlite needed
    > everywhere. Why I no gots? Is it suppose to be included and I screwed up
    > my install? I'd rather believe that than Pat just tossing together a
    > new release to meet a deadline. Sure, nmap works ok, but......

    The last sentence is the real crux of the issue - nmap works.
    The zenmap stuff is relatively new and that upgrade came along
    relatively late in the release cycle. sqlite is a "well known"
    library, in that LOTS of things will link/use it if it's present.
    I don't speak officially here, but with the above in mind, here's
    my take on the available options:

    Choice 1. Add sqlite and let the new zenmap work.
    Result 1a: Users write in to ask that damn near everything be recompiled
    to pick up sqlite.
    Result 1b: This delays the release much more than it already is, because
    there's no guarantee that sqlite will be stable enough to stay
    in, but then if it gets removed again, everything will have to
    be recompiled again, including anything that might have linked
    the stuff that was originally recompiled to pick up sqlite, and
    so on.

    Choice 2. Don't upgrade nmap to the latest release; this avoids the
    need for a new dependency on sqlite.
    Result 2: Users whine about nmap being outdated.

    Choice 3: Ship 12.1 with a couple of things not functioning due to missing
    sqlite. One of them was broken in 12.0 as well (pysqlite), so
    nothing is changed, and with nmap, well, as you said, it still
    works.
    Result 3: Users lost zero functionality from the previous release.

    This isn't the first time something like this has been done. Back in 12.0,
    the version of HAL that Slackware shipped included a 'hal-device-manager'
    executable which depended on pygtk and parts of gnome (it's a python script).
    Rather than remove the non-functional hal-device-manager from the HAL package,
    Pat elected to ship it, as some users would be installing the missing deps
    via one of the third-party gnome projects.

    Long story short: there's almost always a reason. :-)

    -RW

  4. Re: why no sqlite2 or 3?

    notbob wrote:

    > Someone is getting careless. I try and run zenwalk and get this:
    >
    > A required module was not found.
    >
    > No module named dbapi2.pysqlite2 or sqlite3
    >
    > WTF! This is a full bore "everything", including the kitchen sink,
    > install.
    > Why I no got dis module? Since when does Slackware come WITHOUT
    > everything
    > needed to run what's included? I'm starting to see this sqlite needed
    > everywhere. Why I no gots? Is it suppose to be included and I
    > screwed up
    > my install? I'd rather believe that than Pat just tossing together a
    > new release to meet a deadline. Sure, nmap works ok, but......
    >
    > nb

    Which GNU/Linux Distribution is it that you find lacking the modules for
    dbapi2.pysqlite2 or sqlite3? If it is, as you state in the opening
    sentence of your post, "zenwalk" then why are you assuming that it
    is 'Slackware' that is at fault? If 'Zenwalk' is lacking modules that
    you need, then the problem lies with Zenwalk and its maintainers, and
    should be addressed to them.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  5. Re: why no sqlite2 or 3?

    stinger wrote:

    notbob wrote:
    >> No module named dbapi2.pysqlite2 or sqlite3

    > Yup, that was a head-scratcher.
    > Again, these are available at slackbuilds.org.

    To be clear, this error message is not exactly accurate. The missing package
    here is the sqlite library itself, which can be built from slackbuilds.org
    scripts, as you say.

    dbapi2.pysqlite2 and sqlite3 are two different python modules that interface
    with sqlite, and you'll only need one or the other, not both.

    Python 2.5.2, which ships with Slackware 12.1, does come with the sqlite3
    module, so recompiling python after installing sqlite should give you this
    module without the need for additional package installation.

    dbapi2.pysqlite2 is "sold separately" from python's standard library. If I
    recall correctly, it is the precursor to sqlite3, typically used with
    python versions prior to 2.5.

    Jeffrey

  6. Re: why no sqlite2 or 3?

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 00:25:43 +0000, notbob wrote:

    > Someone is getting careless. I try and run zenwalk and get this:

    Why are you blaming Pat for a problem with Zenwalk Linux?
    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  7. Re: why no sqlite2 or 3?

    On 2008-06-12, Robby Workman wrote:

    > Apparently it's you - did you mean "zenmap" instead of "zenwalk" there?

    DOH!

    I don't know why that was circling my brain. I didn't issue that command.
    I've never even downloaded zenwalk, the distro. In fact, I thought it was a
    b-movie title.

    > The last sentence is the real crux of the issue - nmap works.

    Yeah, which I used. I actually prefer cli, but I was just being too lazy to
    look up option flags cuz the x frontend used to have 'em set by default and
    I use it so seldom, I always forget.

    > The zenmap stuff is relatively new and that upgrade came along
    > relatively late in the release cycle. sqlite is a "well known"
    > library, in that LOTS of things will link/use it if it's present.

    Yeah, and that has me confused. According to wikipedia:

    "Unlike client-server database management systems, the SQLite engine is not a
    standalone process with which the program communicates. Instead, the SQLite
    library is linked in and thus becomes an integral part of the program."

    So, so far, I've been told by a poster on, here (aols), that my amarok
    crashes because it's linked to sqlite and not mysql, but zenmap says there is
    no such module and I find zip in the way of "lite" anything in 12.1.

    > nothing is changed, and with nmap, well, as you said, it still
    > works.

    yep.

    > Rather than remove the non-functional hal-device-manager from the HAL package,
    > Pat elected to ship it, as some users would be installing the missing deps
    > via one of the third-party gnome projects.

    I'm crushed.

    nb

  8. Re: why no sqlite2 or 3?

    notbob wrote:

    > So, so far, I've been told by a poster on, here (aols), that my amarok
    > crashes because it's linked to sqlite and not mysql, but zenmap says there
    > is no such module and I find zip in the way of "lite" anything in 12.1.

    Amarok in Slackware apparently packs its own version of the sqlite library
    internally. So while amarok uses an sqlite database by default, it doesn't
    require any external libs to do so. It may be possible to build amarok
    against a system sqlite library instead, if one exists, I don't know.

    Jeffrey

  9. Re: why no sqlite2 or 3?

    Chick Tower wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 00:25:43 +0000, notbob wrote:
    >
    >> Someone is getting careless. I try and run zenwalk and get this:

    > Why are you blaming Pat for a problem with Zenwalk Linux?

    Why are you defending "Pat?"

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  10. Re: why no sqlite2 or 3?

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:31:16 -0400, realto margarino wrote:

    >>> Someone is getting careless. I try and run zenwalk and get this:

    >> Why are you blaming Pat for a problem with Zenwalk Linux?

    > Why are you defending "Pat?"

    He wasn't, you illiterate stooge.

    LOL! Hahahaha! Luser! Wanker.

    > cordially, as always,

    Smeg off.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.