hello 12.1 goodbye quickcam - Slackware

This is a discussion on hello 12.1 goodbye quickcam - Slackware ; Hi, I have a two year old quickcam-messenger webcam. When I first got it I was using kernel 2.6.18 (I think) and it worked with the quickcam module for that kernel. Under slack 12.0 kernels I couldn't find a quickcam ...

  1. hello 12.1 goodbye quickcam

    Hi,
    I have a two year old quickcam-messenger webcam. When I first got it I was
    using kernel 2.6.18 (I think) and it worked with the quickcam module for
    that kernel. Under slack 12.0 kernels I couldn't find a quickcam module but
    I built one with the qc-usb-0.6.6 source code and it worked. In slack 12.1
    with kernel 2.6.24.5-smp the quickcam-messenger module doesn't work and the
    qc-usb-0.6.6 code doesn't compile. I have found version qc-usb-0.6.6.b
    source code which does compile but the camera still doesn't recognize the
    resulting quickcam.ko module. The gspca module for this kernel works with
    another webcam I have but the quickcam-messenger is a much better webcam.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers, jwc
    PS By doesn't work I mean that when xawtv is invoked I get:
    v4l2: open /dev/video0: No such file or directory, etc.

  2. Re: hello 12.1 goodbye quickcam

    john connolly wrote:
    >I have found version qc-usb-0.6.6.b source code which does compile

    > PS By doesn't work I mean that when xawtv is invoked I get: v4l2: open
    > /dev/video0: No such file or directory, etc.

    Is the module that you built loaded? Check with lsmod or "cat
    /proc/modules". If it isn't loaded, are you able to manually load it with
    modprobe or insmod?

    Once the module is loaded, check "dmesg" to see if there are any error
    messages or any good messages about your webcam.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: hello 12.1 goodbye quickcam

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > john connolly wrote:
    >>I have found version qc-usb-0.6.6.b source code which does compile

    >> PS By doesn't work I mean that when xawtv is invoked I get: v4l2: open
    >> /dev/video0: No such file or directory, etc.

    > Is the module that you built loaded? Check with lsmod or "cat
    > /proc/modules". If it isn't loaded, are you able to manually load it with
    > modprobe or insmod?
    >
    > Once the module is loaded, check "dmesg" to see if there are any error
    > messages or any good messages about your webcam.
    >
    > regards Henrik

    Thanks for your reply. The module I built loaded ok. The kernel knows that
    it loads. When I connect the webcam the kernel recognizes its audio driver
    but not its video.
    Cheers, jwc

+ Reply to Thread