stop cups starting at boot - Slackware

This is a discussion on stop cups starting at boot - Slackware ; On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 03:22:12 +0000, Dan C wrote: > You'll remove all kinds of rc.d files, but you won't change one single > file to non-executable??? What kind of sense does that make? Damn. > of course, I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: stop cups starting at boot

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 03:22:12 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > You'll remove all kinds of rc.d files, but you won't change one single
    > file to non-executable??? What kind of sense does that make? Damn.

    of course, I wanted to remove all the garbage, not changing the default
    configuration of slackware to welcome it.
    If I really need some specific thing with slackware I wouldn't mind
    changing the default configuration.

    > What the **** is a "blind solution"? You aren't making much sense.

    It's a solution that is known to work, but at least the user doesn't know
    how.

    It seems to me that you're really really definitely dumb.

  2. Re: stop cups starting at boot

    Okay, I'll try one last time.

    (1) You apparently boogered your startup scripts by installing a
    non-standard software, ie., software not officially released by
    Slackware Inc. That is okay, many people do, and it may sometimes
    be the only way to get the software one desires. But it is not
    recommeded unless one has the abilities needed to recognize and
    debug undesirable side-effects. Best practice is to stick with
    official slackware Inc packages. If that is unavailable, then
    'second-best' is to obtain packages from a reliable third-party.
    If that is unavailable or otherwise unsuitable, then 'third-best'
    practice is to 'roll your own' package, starting with an official
    slackware Inc. SlackBuild and modifying it to suit your special
    needs. This is so that one can then use the standard slackware
    package management tool to uninstall the package in case that
    becomes nescessary. It may be nescessary to make several attempts
    to get it 'right':
    (a) create package
    (b) install package
    (c) test package
    (d) remove package
    (e) repeat until 'right'
    This method may require a degree of skill, but is relatively safe.
    It is NOT absolutely safe, but relatively so. The "traditional"
    method (ie., "make config && make && make install") brings with it
    some degree of risk - it is entirely dependent on the upstream
    sourcecode developers work, which may or may not be absolutely
    suitable "out of the box" for a slackware system. Some source
    code will work perfectly with the first attempt but some will
    require additional work - it all depends on the souce code and
    the skills of the person installing it to recognize and correct
    undesireable side-effects.

    Okay. So, that is how we got to where you are now - by using
    the "traditional" "make config && make && make install" method,
    the sourcecode introduced undesirable side-effects without a
    simple method to reverse the undesirable side-effects.

    (2) IMHO, the Cups developers went too far when they attempt to
    have their 'make install' modify the systems startup scripts for
    any given platform. Given an otherwise pure-standard slackware
    system that does not already have a slackware Cups installed , this
    may work fine. Or perhaps not.

    The official slackware SlackBuild for this package works around
    this by not including the /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/ directories and
    scripts and the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ scripts that Cups otherwise
    appears to install.

    The result appears to be that you have installed multiple methods
    of starting Cups, and are having difficulty diagnosing and correcting
    this condition.

    (3) It is very difficult for third parties (me, Dan C, Kees, Lew)
    to know exactly what state your startup scripts are currently in.
    We do not have access to your machine to examine it, and have neither
    the time nor the inclination to attempt to duplicate your state.
    Not knowing exactly what the Cups installation did, we can only
    make our guesses. Besides the non-standard installation of the
    Cups package, you may have other issues of which we are totally
    unaware. Nonetheless, we four have each independently arrived
    at the same diagnosis and each of us has offered exactly the
    same advice.

    (4) The advice given is extremely simple, non-destructive, and
    easily reversible. By using chmod to make rc.sysvinit non-executable,
    you can reboot and see if the problem is cured. If the problem is
    not cured by that, or if some other undesireable side-effect is
    introducted (eg., some other service fails to start), then it
    is trivial to simply use chmod to make rc.sysvinit executable again.
    The first case will confirm our diagnosis, and the second case would
    refute it.

    Should our diagnosis be confirmed, we may then proceed to offer
    further advice, further explanations for your benefit. Should our
    diagnosis be refuted, we may then proceed to attempt further
    diagnosis.

    To do anything else is a waste of time and effort.

    (5) However, given your response, quoted below, I have little inclination
    now to proceed in either direction. This is exactly the conclusion
    I warned about in my initial response.

    I am done now.

    --
    William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA

  3. Re: stop cups starting at boot

    On 2008-06-21, heavytull wrote:
    >> You'll remove all kinds of rc.d files, but you won't change one single
    >> file to non-executable??? What kind of sense does that make? Damn.

    > of course, I wanted to remove all the garbage, not changing the default
    > configuration of slackware to welcome it.

    What is this obsession you have with "the default configuration of
    slackware"?

    > If I really need some specific thing with slackware I wouldn't mind
    > changing the default configuration.

    Oh, you mean like stopping CUPS from starting at boot, for example? If
    you had that problem, and wanted to fix it, you might change the
    "default configuration". Jesus H. Keeeeerist.

    >> What the **** is a "blind solution"? You aren't making much sense.

    > It's a solution that is known to work, but at least the user doesn't know
    > how.

    Hmmmmm..... can understand...>. Oh, so you mean if the "user" (you) doesn't
    *already* know the solution, then it's a "blind solution"? Did it ever
    ****ing occur to you that if you ALREADY KNEW the solution, you wouldn't
    have asked the ****ing question? Therefore, using your logic, every
    single solution to your problem would have to be a "blind solution",
    right? **** me running.

    > It seems to me that you're really really definitely dumb.

    You are possibly the stupidest dip**** I've ever seen ask a question in
    this newsgroup. You refuse to accept/acknowledge a proper solution when
    it's given, and then insult the ones giving you the answers. OK then,
    **** it, you will get no more help. Bugger the **** off, asswipe.

  4. Re: stop cups starting at boot

    Dan C wrote:

    > Oh, you mean like stopping CUPS from starting at boot, for example?
    > If you had that problem, and wanted to fix it, you might change the
    > "default configuration".

    One answer to this particular problem might be to, back-up any data you
    wish to save and re-install Slackware. Only this time when at the end
    of the installation process when one is asked which startup services to
    run, *DO* *NOT* to chose CUPS as a service to run
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  5. Re: stop cups starting at boot

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 03:09:54 +0100, Two Ravens wrote:

    >> Oh, you mean like stopping CUPS from starting at boot, for example?
    >> If you had that problem, and wanted to fix it, you might change the
    >> "default configuration".

    > One answer to this particular problem might be to, back-up any data you
    > wish to save and re-install Slackware. Only this time when at the end
    > of the installation process when one is asked which startup services to
    > run, *DO* *NOT* to chose CUPS as a service to run

    LOL, this is exactly what "heavytull" will do.

    The above procedure will result in a "default configuration" of having
    /etc/rc.d/rc.cups set to non-executable, and he won't be "violating" the
    sacred default configuration by having it that way. Much preferable to
    simply doing: chmod 644 /etc/rc.d/rc.cups . Yes, indeed.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he pushed "heavytull" under the speeding train.

  6. Re: stop cups starting at boot

    Dan C wrote:

    > LOL, this is exactly what "heavytull" will do.
    >
    > The above procedure will result in a "default configuration" of having
    > /etc/rc.d/rc.cups set to non-executable, and he won't be "violating"
    > the sacred default configuration by having it that way. *Much
    > preferable to simply doing: *chmod 644 /etc/rc.d/rc.cups . *Yes,
    > indeed. *

    If you look up, (or down), the Thread you'll see that I told him to more
    or less do the same thing, (without the necessity of re-installing), by
    using pkgtool, two weeks ago.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  7. Re: stop cups starting at boot

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 01:09:16 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > You are possibly the stupidest dip**** I've ever seen ask a question in
    > this newsgroup. You refuse to accept/acknowledge a proper solution when
    > it's given, and then insult the ones giving you the answers. OK then,
    > **** it, you will get no more help. Bugger the **** off, asswipe.

  8. Re: stop cups starting at boot

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 14:31:07 -0700, William Hunt wrote:

    > Okay, I'll try one last time.
    >
    > (1) You apparently boogered your startup scripts by installing a

    ok i didn't yet read all your comment because it was quite dumb, like many
    ppl here.

    the matter is quite serious, there is a huge dumbness here! I cannot help!
    just give up.
    One thing if you really still don't understand my behaviour here, then
    print my comments from the beginning of this post and study it.

    As for my issue with the cups startup, it's solved, i removed all rc?.d
    and cups doesn't start anymore at boot.

  9. Re: stop cups starting at boot

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 01:09:16 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > Hmmmmm..... > can understand...>. Oh, so you mean if the "user" (you) doesn't
    > *already* know the solution, then it's a "blind solution"?

    I think you're mentally ill.

  10. Re: stop cups starting at boot

    You're a ****ing moron. There is no doubt about that.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Yoda told him of another Pooh.

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 19:43:14 +0000, heavytull wrote:

    >> Okay, I'll try one last time.
    >>
    >> (1) You apparently boogered your startup scripts by installing a

    > ok i didn't yet read all your comment because it was quite dumb, like
    > many ppl here.

    You will no longer get any help from anyone, with bull**** comments like
    that.

    > the matter is quite serious, there is a huge dumbness here! I cannot
    > help! just give up.

    The only "huge dumbness" around here is you.

    > As for my issue with the cups startup, it's solved, i removed all rc?.d
    > and cups doesn't start anymore at boot.

    You dumb sonofabitch. If you had just made rc.sysvinit non-executable
    (like I told you), those files would not have been run and your "problem"
    would have been solved a week ago. Stupid, stupid, ****ing stupid.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped out Ubuntu and installed Slackware.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2