scratches on desktop when opening pdf files - Slackware

This is a discussion on scratches on desktop when opening pdf files - Slackware ; Hi new to Slackware and not a Linux expert... I Installed Slackware12.0 ( kernel huge.s ) everything is working fine ... the only problem, so far, is scratches developing on the desktop when opening pdf files...I am using also Mandriva ...

  1. scratches on desktop when opening pdf files

    Hi new to Slackware and not a Linux expert...
    I Installed Slackware12.0 ( kernel huge.s ) everything is working fine ...

    the only problem, so far, is scratches developing on the desktop when
    opening pdf files...I am using also Mandriva linux but this is not
    happening there,and i do not know/understand where I can look to rectify
    this problem...any idea/help will be appreciated,
    thanks,
    santo

  2. Re: scratches on desktop when opening pdf files

    santo wrote:
    > Hi new to Slackware and not a Linux expert...
    > I Installed Slackware12.0 ( kernel huge.s ) everything is working fine ...
    >
    > the only problem, so far, is scratches developing on the desktop when
    > opening pdf files...I am using also Mandriva linux but this is not
    > happening there,and i do not know/understand where I can look to rectify
    > this problem...any idea/help will be appreciated,
    > thanks,
    > santo

    Your question is too vague. How do you
    open pdf files. What desktop do you use. What do you call exactly
    "scratches"

    Olive

  3. Re: scratches on desktop when opening pdf files

    On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 15:57:55 +0530, santo wrote:

    > the only problem, so far, is scratches developing on the desktop when
    > opening pdf files...I am using also Mandriva linux but this is not
    > happening there,and i do not know/understand where I can look to
    > rectify this problem...any idea/help will be appreciated,

    Wow. Scratches on your desktop, eh? Maybe you should get the ****ing cat
    off of your desk, dimwit.

    I thought "Res" was a moron, but you've got him beat.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  4. Re: scratches on desktop when opening pdf files

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 15:57:55 +0530, santo wrote:
    >
    >> the only problem, so far, is scratches developing on the desktop when
    >> opening pdf files...I am using also Mandriva linux but this is not
    >> happening there,and i do not know/understand where I can look to
    >> rectify this problem...any idea/help will be appreciated,

    > Wow. Scratches on your desktop, eh? Maybe you should get the ****ing cat
    > off of your desk, dimwit.
    >
    > I thought "Res" was a moron, but you've got him beat.

    Well duh, there's a mouse on the desk that its trying to catch.

  5. Re: scratches on desktop when opening pdf files

    On 2008-06-06, santo wrote:
    > Hi new to Slackware and not a Linux expert...
    > I Installed Slackware12.0 ( kernel huge.s ) everything is working fine ...
    >
    > the only problem, so far, is scratches developing on the desktop when
    > opening pdf files...I am using also Mandriva linux but this is not
    > happening there,and i do not know/understand where I can look to rectify
    > this problem...any idea/help will be appreciated,
    > thanks,

    > santo

    I assume from scratches you mean very thin black lines across the screen,
    perhaps at odd angles...right.

    Without more info...and just a guess...try checking the that the setting are
    the same between both distros, ref. video, x.org, sync rates etc.

    just a guess.

    ken

  6. Re: scratches on desktop when opening pdf files

    ah looky the aols super ****spank troll daniel, a clueless tart who has no
    idea on how to help himself let alone help anyone else so all he can do
    is generate noise.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    I read usenet and lists in pine. But m$ outlook, thunderbird and gmail
    often use html span/whatever for quotes, makes it hard to tell who said
    what, so I dont try. If I ignore you, thats why! Use a compliant mailer.

  7. Re: scratches on desktop when opening pdf files

    No_One wrote:

    > I assume from scratches you mean very thin black lines across the screen,
    > perhaps at odd angles...right.
    >
    > Without more info...and just a guess...try checking the that the setting are
    > the same between both distros, ref. video, x.org, sync rates etc.
    >
    > just a guess.
    >
    > ken

    i remember going through that crap, my system uses a 760gx chipset, i
    upped to a 2.6 kernel to fix it, it may be a similar hardware issue,
    just takes some looking through angry ranting to find the fix.

  8. Re: scratches on desktop when opening pdf files

    On 2008-06-07, jim dorey wrote:
    > No_One wrote:
    >
    >> I assume from scratches you mean very thin black lines across the screen,
    >> perhaps at odd angles...right.
    >>
    >> Without more info...and just a guess...try checking the that the setting are
    >> the same between both distros, ref. video, x.org, sync rates etc.
    >>
    >> just a guess.
    >>
    >> ken

    > i remember going through that crap, my system uses a 760gx chipset, i
    > upped to a 2.6 kernel to fix it, it may be a similar hardware issue,
    > just takes some looking through angry ranting to find the fix.

    It happend to me once while I was running windowsxp and only when I used
    gimp 2.something (windows version)....

    ken

  9. Re: scratches on desktop when opening pdf files

    Olive wrote:

    > santo wrote:
    >> Hi new to Slackware and not a Linux expert...
    >> I Installed Slackware12.0 ( kernel huge.s ) everything is working fine
    >>
    >> the only problem, so far, is scratches developing on the desktop when
    >> opening pdf files...I am using also Mandriva linux but this is not
    >> happening there,and i do not know/understand where I can look to rectify
    >> this problem...any idea/help will be appreciated,
    >> thanks,
    >> santo

    > Your question is too vague. How do you
    > open pdf files. What desktop do you use. What do you call exactly
    > "scratches"
    >
    > Olive

    Kde 3.5; open with kpdf and the "scratches" are a thick series
    of diagonal lines, grey color criss-crossing the desktop

    Actually in Mandriva those lines do appear when the pdf file are open but
    only for a short time then they disappear and do not stay on the
    Desktop...while in Slacware the stay even after the file is closed and
    after refreshing

    -HorizSync 30 - 70 <=====before it was 50 - 70, I changed
    according to the Mandriva xorg.conf
    -VertRefresh 50 - 160

    -Chipset
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies,
    Inc. VT8378 [KM400/A] ChipsetHost Bridge 0

    -driver "via"

    hope this is enough and valid info...
    thanks,
    santo

  10. Re: Re: scratches on desktop when opening pdf files

    > On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Dan C wrote:
    >

    >> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 15:57:55 +0530, santo wrote:
    >>
    >>> the only problem, so far, is scratches developing on the desktop when
    >>> opening pdf files...I am using also Mandriva linux but this is not
    >>> happening there,and i do not know/understand where I can look to
    >>> rectify this problem...any idea/help will be appreciated,

    >> Wow. Scratches on your desktop, eh? Maybe you should get the ****ing
    >> cat off of your desk, dimwit.
    >>
    >> I thought "Res" was a moron, but you've got him beat.
    >>

    >Res wrote:
    > ah looky the aols super ****spank troll daniel, a clueless tart who has no
    > idea on how to help himself let alone help anyone else so all he can do
    > is generate noise.

    I am new here, do not know Res, but I do know Dan C...from somewhere else...
    santo

  11. Re: scratches on desktop when opening pdf files

    No_One wrote:

    > It happend to me once while I was running windowsxp and only when I used
    > gimp 2.something (windows version)....
    >
    > ken

    apparently, the 760gx has a neutered agp bridge system, onboard video
    has much niceness, but not accel support without first fixing the agp
    bridge. the socket 754 chips have agp on the processor core, i think
    all later chips too, makes one heck of a mess. kernel 2.6 fixed the
    problem, but the problems still existed in xp(apparently), installed the
    2.6 kernel right from the start, after i messed up my previous
    install(head hangs in shame, also formatted my /home once, it was fun
    getting everything back, search for the procedure took nearly an hour).

+ Reply to Thread