Slack 12.1 - killer app - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slack 12.1 - killer app - Slackware ; Really do understand the benefits of going from 12.0 - more recent versions incorporating patches etc and just remembering how to re-configure things. So given the above - anything nice shiny and new in 12.1? Killer app. Just curious - ...

  1. Slack 12.1 - killer app

    Really do understand the benefits of going from 12.0 - more recent versions
    incorporating patches etc and just remembering how to re-configure things.

    So given the above - anything nice shiny and new in 12.1? Killer app. Just
    curious - will likely install anyway shortly.

    Pete
    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  2. Re: Slack 12.1 - killer app

    On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 01:09:06 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:

    > Really do understand the benefits of going from 12.0 - more recent versions
    > incorporating patches etc and just remembering how to re-configure things.
    >
    > So given the above - anything nice shiny and new in 12.1? Killer app. Just
    > curious - will likely install anyway shortly.
    >
    > Pete

    12.1 itself is the killer app. The significant changes of 12.0 have been
    fine-tuned to a noticable degree in 12.1. No "one" application stands as
    the flagship of these improvements - rather the distro as a whole runs
    very smooth as a reult of work that - to the untrained eye - would
    otherwise stand noticed.

    IMHO

  3. Re: Slack 12.1 - killer app

    On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Peter Chant wrote:

    > Really do understand the benefits of going from 12.0 - more recent versions
    > incorporating patches etc and just remembering how to re-configure things.

    If you keep notes, then the configuring to the way you like it should be
    relatively easy. If you don't, then upgrading to 12.1 can be a chance
    to sort out the information and keep notes for the next time an upgrade
    comes along.

    Michael

    > So given the above - anything nice shiny and new in 12.1? Killer app. Just
    > curious - will likely install anyway shortly.
    >
    > Pete
    > --
    > http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  4. Re: Slack 12.1 - killer app

    Peter Chant wrote:

    > So given the above - anything nice shiny and new in 12.1? Killer app. Just
    > curious - will likely install anyway shortly.

    The easy encryption option is nice. I have been playing around with it
    for ****s and giggles - I don't notice any performance degradation issues.
    Not really of much use for the desktop, but I think it is something I would
    want to use for a laptop since they are so easy to steal.

    - Kurt

  5. Re: Slack 12.1 - killer app

    Am 06.06.2008 02:27, stinger schrieb:
    > On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 01:09:06 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:
    >
    >> Really do understand the benefits of going from 12.0 - more recent versions
    >> incorporating patches etc and just remembering how to re-configure things.
    >>
    >> So given the above - anything nice shiny and new in 12.1? Killer app. Just
    >> curious - will likely install anyway shortly.

    > 12.1 itself is the killer app. The significant changes of 12.0 have been
    > fine-tuned to a noticable degree in 12.1. No "one" application stands as
    > the flagship of these improvements - rather the distro as a whole runs
    > very smooth as a reult of work that - to the untrained eye - would
    > otherwise stand noticed.

    See http://www.linux.com/feature/136601

    VR

  6. Re: Slack 12.1 - killer app

    On 2008-06-06, Peter Chant wrote:

    > So given the above - anything nice shiny and new in 12.1? Killer app.

    emacs 22. Comes with all kinds of new goodies like tramp, calc, and erc.
    Nice for a lisp-illiterate emacs newbs like myself.

    nb

  7. Re: Slack 12.1 - killer app

  8. Re: Slack 12.1 - killer app

    On 2008-06-06, ~kurt wrote:
    > Peter Chant wrote:
    >>
    >> So given the above - anything nice shiny and new in 12.1? Killer app. Just
    >> curious - will likely install anyway shortly.

    > The easy encryption option is nice. I have been playing around with it
    > for ****s and giggles - I don't notice any performance degradation issues.
    > Not really of much use for the desktop, but I think it is something I would
    > want to use for a laptop since they are so easy to steal.

    Indeed; the full disk encryption is quite nice.
    Unless you're on relatively powerful hardware though, there's a kernel
    bug that might bite you in the ass - it's gotten me and at least one
    other Slackware user, and several in other distributions, best I can
    tell. Search LKML (Linux Kernel Mailing List) for this subject line:

    "2.6.24 Kernel Soft Lock Up with heavy I/O in dm-crypt"

    You'll see a couple of patches down the thread a little ways, but since
    they're not exactly easy to find there, here's the one for 2.6.24.x:

    http://slackware.com/~rworkman/dm-cr...esched.diff.gz

    This is *not* an official patch nor is it supported by Slackware, but
    it is what's suggested in that LKML thread and it seems to have a very
    positive impact here. YMMV.

    -RW

  9. Re: Slack 12.1 - killer app

    Robby Workman wrote:

    > Unless you're on relatively powerful hardware though, there's a kernel
    > bug that might bite you in the ass - it's gotten me and at least one
    > other Slackware user, and several in other distributions, best I can
    > tell. Search LKML (Linux Kernel Mailing List) for this subject line:

    Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for a kernel patch, espeically
    before I get around to backing up /home creating a big iso that I burn. So
    far, I can't even tell any performance difference.

    - Kurt

  10. Re: Slack 12.1 - killer app

    I only started using the Amarok music player in this release
    (though I think it first appeared in 11.0) -- and it is an
    incredible program. I use an xterm for most thing besides
    browsing, but this has weaned me off the ncurses mp3 player
    orpheus.

    Amarok is like having a record (remember those?) or cd collection
    for mp3s.

    Do you think it is unusual that there is such a good desktop
    application for Linux, or that it is a sign of the End Times?

    -Simon

+ Reply to Thread