Slackware on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop (vintage 2000) - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackware on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop (vintage 2000) - Slackware ; Grandma didn't cotton to email and the Internet, so I have repossessed the Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that we got her in 2000 (still in the box!). I would like to use it administer the "headless" internet server that I'm ...

  1. Slackware on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop (vintage 2000)

    Grandma didn't cotton to email and the Internet, so I have repossessed
    the Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that we got her in 2000 (still in the
    box!). I would like to use it administer the "headless" internet
    server that I'm building to train myself in Linux networking.

    The Gateway has a pitiful 64MB of RAM, a 5GB hard drive, and a
    ""Genuine Intel Celeron Processor". This would be totally inadequate
    for the server (even for training purposes), but I'm hoping I can make
    it work temporarily for *administration* of the server (possibly with
    a RAM upgrade).

    Would be pleased to hear comments as to the feasibility of my plan.
    Is it possible to run a stripped down version of Slackware on this
    turkey?

    Thanks & Best Regards,

    Vwaju
    New York City

  2. Re: Slackware on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop (vintage 2000)

    In alt.os.linux.slackware, Vwaju wrote:

    > Grandma didn't cotton to email and the Internet, so I have repossessed
    > the Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that we got her in 2000 (still in the
    > box!). I would like to use it administer the "headless" internet
    > server that I'm building to train myself in Linux networking.
    >
    > The Gateway has a pitiful 64MB of RAM, a 5GB hard drive, and a
    > ""Genuine Intel Celeron Processor". This would be totally inadequate
    > for the server (even for training purposes), but I'm hoping I can make
    > it work temporarily for *administration* of the server (possibly with
    > a RAM upgrade).
    >
    > Would be pleased to hear comments as to the feasibility of my plan.
    > Is it possible to run a stripped down version of Slackware on this
    > turkey?

    For what it's worth, I have run Slackware (albeit, Slackware 7, IIRC) on a
    486DX4 with 32Mb memory and a 2Gb hard drive. I used this as my server for
    a number of years, so I usually ran without an X server. However, on
    occasion, I /did/ run X11 and the Blackbox desktop without problems.

    Your Gateway laptop should be up to the task, if you don't load it down with
    all the user packages (go with the 'E'xpert install, for instance). You
    might even be able to run a GUI environment if you stick with a lightweight
    DM like Blackbox.

    --
    Lew Pitcher

  3. Re: Slackware on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop (vintage 2000)

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:42:26 -0700, Vwaju wrote:

    > The Gateway has a pitiful 64MB of RAM, a 5GB hard drive, and a ""Genuine
    > Intel Celeron Processor". This would be totally inadequate for the
    > server (even for training purposes), but I'm hoping I can make it work
    > temporarily for *administration* of the server (possibly with a RAM
    > upgrade).

    It really depends on what kind of server load you expect to sustain.

    > Would be pleased to hear comments as to the feasibility of my plan. Is
    > it possible to run a stripped down version of Slackware on this turkey?

    There is a rather neat stripped down version of Slackware called Deli
    Linux:

    http://www.delilinux.org/

    Version 0.8.0 just came out, check the system requirements in the release
    announcement:

    http://www.delilinux.org/wiki/doku.php?
    id=announcement:generalnews:releases:deli-0.8.0

    Your grandma's machine is more than powerful enough.

    I have run lightweight distros on laptops from about 1996 and they can
    work surprisingly well.

  4. Re: Slackware on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop (vintage 2000)

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:42:26 -0700, Vwaju wrote:

    > Grandma didn't cotton to email and the Internet, so I have repossessed
    > the Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that we got her in 2000 (still in the
    > box!). I would like to use it administer the "headless" internet server
    > that I'm building to train myself in Linux networking.
    >
    > The Gateway has a pitiful 64MB of RAM, a 5GB hard drive, and a ""Genuine
    > Intel Celeron Processor". This would be totally inadequate for the
    > server (even for training purposes),

    Really? You can't do such a training on a box of those
    characteristics? Methinks that you have a hell of a lot to learn.

  5. Re: Slackware on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop (vintage 2000)

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:42:26 -0700, Vwaju wrote:

    > Grandma didn't cotton to email and the Internet, so I have repossessed
    > the Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that we got her in 2000 (still in the
    > box!). I would like to use it administer the "headless" internet server
    > that I'm building to train myself in Linux networking.
    >
    > The Gateway has a pitiful 64MB of RAM, a 5GB hard drive, and a ""Genuine
    > Intel Celeron Processor". This would be totally inadequate for the
    > server (even for training purposes), but I'm hoping I can make it work
    > temporarily for *administration* of the server (possibly with a RAM
    > upgrade).
    >
    > Would be pleased to hear comments as to the feasibility of my plan. Is
    > it possible to run a stripped down version of Slackware on this turkey?
    >
    > Thanks & Best Regards,
    >
    > Vwaju
    > New York City

    My daughter is running Slackware 11 with KDE on an old Compaq 366mhz with
    128 RAM. You mighht be able to do it on 64mb, but what the heck, RAM is
    dirt cheap for those things.

  6. Re: Slackware on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop (vintage 2000)

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 21:29:03 +0000, Leonard The Committed wrote:

    > My daughter is running Slackware 11 with KDE on an old Compaq 366mhz
    > with 128 RAM. You mighht be able to do it on 64mb, but what the heck,
    > RAM is dirt cheap for those things.

    Depends on your definition of dirt cheap. A 64MB SODIMM of PC66 is about
    the same price as 1GB of PC5300....

  7. Re: Slackware on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop (vintage 2000)

    Vwaju wrote:
    > Grandma didn't cotton to email and the Internet, so I have repossessed
    > the Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that we got her in 2000 (still in the
    > box!). I would like to use it administer the "headless" internet
    > server that I'm building to train myself in Linux networking.
    >
    > The Gateway has a pitiful 64MB of RAM, a 5GB hard drive, and a
    > ""Genuine Intel Celeron Processor". This would be totally inadequate
    > for the server (even for training purposes), but I'm hoping I can make
    > it work temporarily for *administration* of the server (possibly with
    > a RAM upgrade).
    >
    > Would be pleased to hear comments as to the feasibility of my plan.
    > Is it possible to run a stripped down version of Slackware on this
    > turkey?
    >
    > Thanks & Best Regards,
    >
    > Vwaju
    > New York City

    Memory is dirt cheap for those gateways. With that said, I am running
    slack-11.0 on a gateway 2500 which I have modified from the original by
    adding a 40 gig hard drive, 128 meg ram and swapping out the CD player
    for a DVD player.

    KDE runs fine however I choose to use black box because I like it. The
    computer was given to me by a client who enjoys windows (sic). Windows
    98 was all that would run on this gateway. I commented that linux had no
    such limitations and Slackware would run and be quite usefull on the box.

    The original 6 gig hard drive seemed pretty silly to me and I wanted
    access to dvd media so, those two items were swapped out in favor of the
    dvd media player and the larger hard drive. The processor is the celeron
    333 mhz.

    As far as performance, It can play DVD media content albeit somewhat
    choppy, I don't much care about that as long as I can read slack 12.1
    installation media.. No need for 12.1 on the box as 11.0 works just fine
    and I see no reason to fix what ain't broke. I had considered 12.1 and
    installing it will require some fancy dancing since the box won't boot
    from the DVD or USB. With an excellent suggestion from rworkman the
    problem can be solved by removing the hard drive and installing it in
    another box then installing slack 12.1 to it. True enough, I could put
    the original CD player back in place for the install but I don't know
    where the reverse is on this box and it just can't go backwards.

    A few interesting side notes on the install are, ACPI was a small
    challenge since it only supports ACPI 1.0 and the problem there is upper
    temperature limits work however setting and triggering on the low
    (acceptable) temperature is not possible. The work around is to use the
    sample time to achieve a balance so the internal cooling fan doesn't
    flutter on and off around the high temperature setting. Closing the
    display works fine and the display comes back up when I open the case.

    The sound card NeoMagic NMA 2 has a few quirks which I have not quite
    worked out. This could be due to settings in bios or alsa. The symptom
    is the sound card drivers do not get released from a previous event
    until the second request to play the sound. This is an intermittent
    problem and I have not cared all that much nor had the time to
    investigate. Basically sound works except the finer points sometimes
    fail. A buddy logs into instant messenger and the audio notification
    sometimes happens and sometimes not. ClamAV auto updates and the audio
    notification I set will sometimes happen and sometimes not.

    Overall, this is a fine computer which is useless modified or in it's
    original state with anything beyond windows 98 and completely useful
    with Slackware 11.0. I would say to the OP's question.. add a little
    memory and put slack on that puppy.. Save yet another useful box from
    landfill.

  8. Re: Slackware on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop (vintage 2000)

    microsys wrote:

    > As far as performance, It can play DVD media content albeit somewhat
    > choppy, I don't much care about that as long as I can read slack 12.1
    > installation media.. No need for 12.1 on the box as 11.0 works just fine
    > and I see no reason to fix what ain't broke. I had considered 12.1 and
    > installing it will require some fancy dancing since the box won't boot
    > from the DVD or USB. With an excellent suggestion from rworkman the
    > problem can be solved by removing the hard drive and installing it in
    > another box then installing slack 12.1 to it. True enough, I could put
    > the original CD player back in place for the install but I don't know
    > where the reverse is on this box and it just can't go backwards.

    Running Slack 11 should put you close enough to get this running ... try
    installing the huge kernel and modules from the 12.1 DVD and adding it to
    lilo.conf (don't forget to use a unique label for it and run lilo as well.)

    If it will boot into single user mode, the rest should be easy enough to do
    following UPGRADE.TXT.

    But then again, if it ain't broke ...

    --
    Linux User #152843
    Slackin' since 3.x

  9. Re: Slackware on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop (vintage 2000)

    Dave Dickman wrote:
    > microsys wrote:
    >
    >> As far as performance, It can play DVD media content albeit somewhat
    >> choppy, I don't much care about that as long as I can read slack 12.1
    >> installation media.. No need for 12.1 on the box as 11.0 works just fine
    >> and I see no reason to fix what ain't broke. I had considered 12.1 and
    >> installing it will require some fancy dancing since the box won't boot
    >> from the DVD or USB. With an excellent suggestion from rworkman the
    >> problem can be solved by removing the hard drive and installing it in
    >> another box then installing slack 12.1 to it. True enough, I could put
    >> the original CD player back in place for the install but I don't know
    >> where the reverse is on this box and it just can't go backwards.
    >>

    > Running Slack 11 should put you close enough to get this running ... try
    > installing the huge kernel and modules from the 12.1 DVD and adding it to
    > lilo.conf (don't forget to use a unique label for it and run lilo as well.)
    >
    > If it will boot into single user mode, the rest should be easy enough to do
    > following UPGRADE.TXT.
    >
    > But then again, if it ain't broke ...

    Dave

    Thanks for your comments as they are much appreciated. I wouldn't have
    have gone any further than to say just that until I read the query by
    Lew Pitcher and response from Joost Kremers in the thread ( Slackware
    11.0 production server upgrade to 12.1 )

    An interesting exchange where, Joost Kremers suggests upgrading to 12.0
    then 12.1 to ease the transition.. Makes sense but in no way negates the
    basic reasoning in your suggestion.

    Having just dealt with a similar transition from Slack 9.0 to Slack
    11.0 on a non-production ( in house server ) I took the easy way out..
    Upgrade.txt ( what a stretch from 9.0 incremental to 11.0 ) is fine but
    every time I try that I end up with all kinds of nitpicking problems
    needing resolution. Keeping /home on a separate partition and of course
    backing up /etc and sections of /var make the 'fresh install' upgrade to
    the next up release go a bit more cleanly for me. Others use Upgrade.txt
    with no problems however, I am just not there yet.

    Before I get to far afield, I still see no compelling reason to install
    12.1 on the laptop and from what I have been reading, it has it's
    idiosyncrasies like all releases with major changes... nothing wrong
    with that. Note, the server I spoke of... 9.0 to 11.0.. and not to 12.1.

    The bottom line here is, The laptop works great as is with the minor
    exception or two but, it works. I am using it in the field and clients
    are amazed something this out of date works as well as it does and
    Slackware is what it's running. I think I will keep it as is for a bit
    just for the wow factor and more practically because, I am using it.
    When I get some time, I will install 12.1 on one of my workstations
    currently running 10.2. When that flies, I will have some experience
    with 12.1 and might be more willing to put the laptop under the microscope.

+ Reply to Thread