slackwware 12.1 globally slow - Slackware

This is a discussion on slackwware 12.1 globally slow - Slackware ; On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:19:07 -0700, olivier wrote: > On 28 jul, 16:32, Douglas Mayne wrote: >> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:20:02 -0700, olivier wrote: >> > I'm using the default kernel hugesmp.s (2.6.24.5) from Slackware 12.1 >> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 47 of 47

  1. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:19:07 -0700, olivier wrote:

    > On 28 jul, 16:32, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:20:02 -0700, olivier wrote:
    >> > I'm using the default kernel hugesmp.s (2.6.24.5) from Slackware 12.1
    >> > Douglas. Was using the same with Slackware 12.0 (kernel 2.6.21.5-smp)
    >> > and it was working fine.

    >> > Best wishes

    >> Please, do not top post.
    >>
    >> Try the modular kernel, which requires an initrd to boot. AFAIK, that
    >> should be the preferred kernel under both Slackware 12.0 and 12.1.
    >>

    > sorry for the top post. I'm googling about modular kernel install.
    > Thanks for the tip.

    Here a few more hints.

    ..../slackware-12.1/slackware/a/kernel-huge-smp-2.6.24.5_smp-i686-2.txt
    tells what the huge kernel is...

    kernel-huge-smp: kernel-huge-smp (a fully-loaded SMP Linux kernel)
    kernel-huge-smp:
    kernel-huge-smp: This is a Linux kernel with built-in support for most disk
    kernel-huge-smp: controllers. If you're looking for a more stripped down kernel
    kernel-huge-smp: (this one contains everything but the kitchen sink ;-), then install
    kernel-huge-smp: the kernel-generic-smp in the /boot directory along with an initrd to
    kernel-huge-smp: load support for your boot device and filesystem. For instructions
    kernel-huge-smp: on the initrd, see README.initrd in the /boot directory.
    kernel-huge-smp:
    kernel-huge-smp: SMP is "Symmetric multiprocessing", or multiple CPU/core support.
    kernel-huge-smp:

    The file:
    http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/sla.../README.initrd

    has information on making an intitrd and using the modular kernel

    ..../slackware-12.1/slackware/a/kernel-generic-smp-2.6.24.5_smp-i686-2.txt
    kernel-generic-smp: kernel-generic-smp (a general purpose SMP Linux kernel)
    kernel-generic-smp:
    kernel-generic-smp: This is a Linux kernel with built-in support for most disk
    kernel-generic-smp: controllers. To use filesystems, or to load support for a SCSI or
    kernel-generic-smp: other controller, then you'll need to load one or more kernel
    kernel-generic-smp: modules using an initial ramdisk, or initrd. For more information
    kernel-generic-smp: about creating an initrd, see the README.initrd file in the /boot
    kernel-generic-smp: directory.
    kernel-generic-smp:
    kernel-generic-smp: SMP is "Symmetric multiprocessing", or multiple CPU/core support.
    kernel-generic-smp:

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  2. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    On 28 jul, 18:16, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:19:07 -0700, olivier wrote:

    > >> Please, do not top post.

    > >> Try the modular kernel, which requires an initrd to boot. AFAIK, that
    > >> should be the preferred kernel under both Slackware 12.0 and 12.1.

    > > sorry for the top post. I'm googling about modular kernel install.
    > > Thanks for the tip.

    > Here a few more hints.
    >
    > .../slackware-12.1/slackware/a/kernel-huge-smp-2.6.24.5_smp-i686-2.txt
    > tells what the huge kernel is...
    >
    > kernel-huge-smp: kernel-huge-smp (a fully-loaded SMP Linux kernel)
    > kernel-huge-smp:
    > kernel-huge-smp: This is a Linux kernel with built-in support for most disk
    > kernel-huge-smp: controllers. *If you're looking for a more stripped down kernel
    > kernel-huge-smp: (this one contains everything but the kitchen sink ;-), then install
    > kernel-huge-smp: the kernel-generic-smp in the /boot directory along withan initrd to
    > kernel-huge-smp: load support for your boot device and filesystem. *Forinstructions
    > kernel-huge-smp: on the initrd, see README.initrd in the /boot directory.
    > kernel-huge-smp:
    > kernel-huge-smp: SMP is "Symmetric multiprocessing", or multiple CPU/coresupport.
    > kernel-huge-smp:
    >
    > The file:http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/sla...README..initrd
    >
    > has information on making an intitrd and using the modular kernel
    >
    > .../slackware-12.1/slackware/a/kernel-generic-smp-2.6.24.5_smp-i686-2.txt
    > kernel-generic-smp: kernel-generic-smp (a general purpose SMP Linux kernel)
    > kernel-generic-smp:
    > kernel-generic-smp: This is a Linux kernel with built-in support for mostdisk
    > kernel-generic-smp: controllers. *To use filesystems, or to load support for a SCSI or
    > kernel-generic-smp: other controller, then you'll need to load one or more kernel
    > kernel-generic-smp: modules using an initial ramdisk, or initrd. *For more information
    > kernel-generic-smp: about creating an initrd, see the README.initrd file in the /boot
    > kernel-generic-smp: directory.
    > kernel-generic-smp:
    > kernel-generic-smp: SMP is "Symmetric multiprocessing", or multiple CPU/core support.
    > kernel-generic-smp:
    >
    > --
    > Douglas Mayne

    I really appreciate Douglas. I tried to add a initrd to see if it
    changes something already. No luck :-(

    What I really find strange is that during boot start it always start
    to slow down during "Journal replaying" of non-root partitions.

    Grant said that I should avoid this driver from being loaded since it
    is a Intel driver

    >00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 14)
    > Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 30c2
    > Flags: 66MHz, medium devsel
    > I/O ports at 8200 [size=16]
    > Capabilities: [b0] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable- Fixed+
    > Kernel driver in use: piix4_smbus
    > Kernel modules: i2c-piix4

    Only way to go is to rebuild the kernel? Or can I blacklist it?

  3. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:36:19 -0700, olivier wrote:

    >> .../slackware-12.1/slackware/a/kernel-generic-smp-2.6.24.5_smp-i686-2.txt
    >> kernel-generic-smp: kernel-generic-smp (a general purpose SMP Linux kernel)
    >> kernel-generic-smp:
    >> kernel-generic-smp: This is a Linux kernel with built-in support for most disk
    >> kernel-generic-smp: controllers. *To use filesystems, or to load support for a SCSI or
    >> kernel-generic-smp: other controller, then you'll need to load one or more kernel
    >> kernel-generic-smp: modules using an initial ramdisk, or initrd. *For more information
    >> kernel-generic-smp: about creating an initrd, see the README.initrd file in the /boot
    >> kernel-generic-smp: directory.
    >> kernel-generic-smp:
    >> kernel-generic-smp: SMP is "Symmetric multiprocessing", or multiple CPU/core support.
    >> kernel-generic-smp:
    >>

    > I really appreciate Douglas. I tried to add a initrd to see if it
    > changes something already. No luck :-(
    >
    > What I really find strange is that during boot start it always start
    > to slow down during "Journal replaying" of non-root partitions.

    I use XFS. It is quick at fixup if the partition is not cleanly unmounted
    for whatever reason.

    > Grant said that I should avoid this driver from being loaded since it

    is
    > a Intel driver
    >
    >>00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 14)
    >> Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 30c2 Flags: 66MHz,
    >> medium devsel
    >> I/O ports at 8200 [size=16]
    >> Capabilities: [b0] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable- Fixed+ Kernel
    >> driver in use: piix4_smbus
    >> Kernel modules: i2c-piix4

    smb bus is not relevent here, IMO. Could be wrong.

    > Only way to go is to rebuild the kernel? Or can I blacklist it?

    Comments inline.

    The only other things I know to try is to make sure that when you boot
    that you also specify "hda=noprobe, hdb=noprobe" as necessary as a kernel
    boot parameter. Also, double check your BIOS is set for SATA modes (ahci
    and native mode - but that is for intel chipset boards that I've worked
    with.) AFAIK, that should force controllers to work in SATA mode
    when possible. Your disks will be named sda, sdb, etc. That is definitely
    required on Dell laptops that I have setup.

    The laptops that I have used with Slackware all have used Intel CPUs and
    intel secondary chipsets. I guess it makes sense that an ATI chipset is
    used with that notebook, because it uses an AMD CPU. I have only used
    ATI video chipsets, though, not bridge chipsets. I found this page
    describing your laptop. I am not sure I'd want one myself, though.
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_HP_Compaq_6715s

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  4. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    On 28 jul, 20:37, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:36:19 -0700, olivier wrote:
    >

    > >> .../slackware-12.1/slackware/a/kernel-generic-smp-2.6.24.5_smp-i686-2.txt
    > >> kernel-generic-smp: kernel-generic-smp (a general purpose SMP Linux kernel)
    > >> kernel-generic-smp:
    > >> kernel-generic-smp: This is a Linux kernel with built-in support for most disk
    > >> kernel-generic-smp: controllers. *To use filesystems, or to load support for a SCSI or
    > >> kernel-generic-smp: other controller, then you'll need to load one or more kernel
    > >> kernel-generic-smp: modules using an initial ramdisk, or initrd. *For more information
    > >> kernel-generic-smp: about creating an initrd, see the README.initrd file in the /boot
    > >> kernel-generic-smp: directory.
    > >> kernel-generic-smp:
    > >> kernel-generic-smp: SMP is "Symmetric multiprocessing", or multiple CPU/core support.
    > >> kernel-generic-smp:

    > > I really appreciate Douglas. I tried to add a initrd to see if it
    > > changes something already. No luck :-(

    > > What I really find strange is that during boot start it always start
    > > to slow down during "Journal replaying" of non-root partitions.

    > I use XFS. It is quick at fixup if the partition is not cleanly unmounted
    > for whatever reason.
    >
    > > Grant said that I should avoid this driver from being loaded since it

    > is
    > > a Intel driver

    > >>00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 14)
    > >> * *Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 30c2 Flags: 66MHz,
    > >> * *medium devsel
    > >> * *I/O ports at 8200 [size=16]
    > >> * *Capabilities: [b0] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable- Fixed+ Kernel
    > >> * *driver in use: piix4_smbus
    > >> * *Kernel modules: i2c-piix4

    > smb bus is not relevent here, IMO. Could be wrong.
    >
    > > Only way to go is to rebuild the kernel? Or can I blacklist it?

    > Comments inline.
    >
    > The only other things I know to try is to make sure that when you boot
    > that you also specify "hda=noprobe, hdb=noprobe" as necessary as a kernel
    > boot parameter. Also, double check your BIOS is set for SATA modes (ahci
    > and native mode - but that is for intel chipset boards that I've worked
    > with.) AFAIK, that should force controllers to work in SATA mode
    > when possible. Your disks will be named sda, sdb, etc. That is definitely
    > required on Dell laptops that I have setup.
    >
    > The laptops that I have used with Slackware all have used Intel CPUs and
    > intel secondary chipsets. I guess it makes sense that an ATI chipset is
    > used with that notebook, because it uses an AMD CPU. I have only used
    > ATI video chipsets, though, not bridge chipsets. I found this page
    > describing your laptop. I am not sure I'd want one myself, though.http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_HP_Compaq_6715s
    >
    > --
    > Douglas Mayne

    Yeah, I found this page too. Mine doesn't have a Turion but a Sempron
    CPU. The hda=noprobe too I already tested. Thank you anyway Douglas. I
    think I need to read more carefully the changes and hints between 12.0
    and 12.1. With 12.0 my notebook works so smoothly. :-)

    Olivier Voutat

  5. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:11:48 -0700, olivier wrote:

    > Yeah, I found this page too. Mine doesn't have a Turion but a Sempron
    > CPU. The hda=noprobe too I already tested. Thank you anyway Douglas. I
    > think I need to read more carefully the changes and hints between 12.0
    > and 12.1. With 12.0 my notebook works so smoothly. :-)

    AFAIK, just to isolate the problem a bit, you could configure 12.1 to boot
    using the same kernel that you are using for 12.0. Probably, just install
    the kernel and modules, but be careful to reset the pointer at
    /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to point to the version associated with 12.1 (if you
    use installpkg). BTW, it looks like the kernel is 2.6.21.5 which was last
    patched 2008-02-11. The modules were not patched and are from 2007-06-19.

    > Olivier Voutat

    Comment inline.

    I see there is a BIOS update as of 2008-03-04:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport
    /SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=za&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3368539
    &swItem=ob-60845-1&prodNameId=3356623&swEnvOID=1093&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5

    or, as a tiny url:
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/5jw6rh

    BTW, does your system BIOS give a SATA/non-SATA mode option?

  6. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:37:33 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:36:19 -0700, olivier wrote:

    >> Grant said that I should avoid this driver from being loaded since it

    >is
    >> a Intel driver
    >>
    >>>00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 14)
    >>> Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 30c2 Flags: 66MHz,
    >>> medium devsel
    >>> I/O ports at 8200 [size=16]
    >>> Capabilities: [b0] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable- Fixed+ Kernel
    >>> driver in use: piix4_smbus
    >>> Kernel modules: i2c-piix4

    ^^^^^^^^^--> Intel piix4 is old southbridge chip,
    predecessor to the ICH series, obviously a wrong kernel module.

    >smb bus is not relevent here, IMO. Could be wrong.
    >>
    >> Only way to go is to rebuild the kernel? Or can I blacklist it?

    Blacklist it.

    >Comments inline.
    >
    >The only other things I know to try is to make sure that when you boot
    >that you also specify "hda=noprobe, hdb=noprobe" as necessary as a kernel
    >boot parameter. Also, double check your BIOS is set for SATA modes (ahci
    >and native mode - but that is for intel chipset boards that I've worked
    >with.) AFAIK, that should force controllers to work in SATA mode
    >when possible. Your disks will be named sda, sdb, etc. That is definitely
    >required on Dell laptops that I have setup.

    AHCI is fine if OP is using slackware and perhaps dual booting Vista,
    but AHCI doesn't work with WinXP (except rare cases where an 'F6' driver
    is available, eg. ICH9R and some ICH8 mobile chipsets can do it), dunno
    about OP's chipset.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  7. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    SteveL wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:29:43 -0700, olivier wrote:
    >
    >> I'm really sorry for you if that is what you think about helping others.
    >> I don't even know what is RTFM, but I suppose it is "research, and
    >> something else more".

    > Read The ****ing Manual
    >
    > Usually preceded by JFGI - Just ****ing Google It

    Cq. STFW (Search The ****ing Web).
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3