slackwware 12.1 globally slow - Slackware

This is a discussion on slackwware 12.1 globally slow - Slackware ; I'm really sorry for you if that is what you think about helping others. I don't even know what is RTFM, but I suppose it is "research, and something else more". It's understandable that we don't have more linuxers since ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

  1. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    I'm really sorry for you if that is what you think about helping
    others. I don't even know what is RTFM, but I suppose it is "research,
    and something else more".

    It's understandable that we don't have more linuxers since all the
    time that someone ask for some real information we only get geek
    response like this one.

    I'm asking myself how stupid I am bothering to send mails again to
    these "helping" lists.

    Sometimes I wish to imagine that linux is a form of evolving for the
    human kind sharing knowledge and growing....

    How many times I told someone how to simply connect to the net or list
    a directory and how grateful were they instead of loosing a complete
    day researching?

    I expected at some level a response like this one from you, but wished
    that it could not happen...

    I'm leaving this list, my heart profoundly sad and hopeless.

    Quote:
    I understand what you mean but how can I achieve this? I really have
    no clue.

    If you can't be bothered doing some RTFM and learning, I can't be
    bothered either...

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  2. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:29:43 -0700, olivier wrote:

    > I'm really sorry for you if that is what you think about helping others.
    > I don't even know what is RTFM, but I suppose it is "research, and
    > something else more".

    Read The ****ing Manual

    Usually preceded by JFGI - Just ****ing Google It

    Both are prerequisites for GAFC - Get A ****ing Clue.

    And yes, this IS helping.

    > It's understandable that we don't have more linuxers since all the time
    > that someone ask for some real information we only get geek response
    > like this one.

    This is the response recieved when you ask for an answer to a question
    that has been aswered thousands of times already, in detail, all over the
    net. Do you really think you are the first linux user to have to learn
    how to build a custom kernel? Why should Grant repeat what he and others
    have done countless times before because you would rather wait for him to
    write and post an answer to your question than search the web yourself.
    You are lazy. Lazy linux users are not what linux needs.

    > I'm asking myself how stupid I am bothering to send mails again to these
    > "helping" lists.

    You are lazy. You may be stupid too - I can't be certain, but you are
    doing a good job of looking stupid.

    > Sometimes I wish to imagine that linux is a form of evolving for the
    > human kind sharing knowledge and growing....

    No, linux is an OS. And this is usenet. Neither fits into your fantasy
    world.

    > How many times I told someone how to simply connect to the net or list a
    > directory and how grateful were they instead of loosing a complete day
    > researching?

    So you can STFW (Search The ****ing Web) for others, but not yourself. If
    you think this earns you a free pass to be lazy here, then you would be
    mistaken.

    > I expected at some level a response like this one from you, but wished
    > that it could not happen...

    You got exactly what you asked for. Re-evaluate your methodology.

    > I'm leaving this list, my heart profoundly sad and hopeless.

    So nothing gained and nothing lost.

  3. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    http://tinyurl.com/4zwbkf
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  4. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    Two Ravens wrote:

    > http://tinyurl.com/4zwbkf

    One thing that is kinda misleading from the article is:

    "If you have some changes to make to the config file:

    $make menuconfig"

    Even if you make no changes to the .config file, and even if you are using
    a .config file made for the kernel you are using, you still need to run
    make oldconfig/menuconfi/whatever_config. For instance, if you grab one of
    Pat's config files, and use the provided kernel source, you should at least
    run "make oldconfig". More than just the .config file is modified during this
    process.

    As for directions on compiling the kenel, I always just look to the README
    in /usr/src/linux.

    - Kurt

  5. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    ~kurt wrote:

    > As for directions on compiling the kenel, I always just look to the
    > README in /usr/src/linux.

    The poster seemed not to know where to look. I was going to refer him
    to "The Book", but he seemed to need a specific site.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  6. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    olivier trolled:
    > I'm having trouble with slackware 12.1 in my notebook hp compaq 6715s.
    > With 12.0 it worked fine but now with 12.1 everything seems so slow
    > even booting.
    >
    > I tried changing the hda sda stuff but it didn't change anything at
    > all for me.
    >
    > Until now nobody found a solution?

    Sure. You should have left the OS on, that was on there when you
    bought the computer.

    Never, ever, change the OS to satisfy immature and unwarranted, and
    usually unexamined prejudices. Only resort to changing the OS when
    you need to, for strictly technical reasons.

    Unless, of course you don't mind walking around with a ****-brown
    hair colour.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  7. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    Two Ravens trolled:
    > ~kurt wrote:
    >
    >> As for directions on compiling the kenel, I always just look to the
    >> README in /usr/src/linux.

    > The poster seemed not to know where to look. I was going to refer him
    > to "The Book", but he seemed to need a specific site.

    Isn't "The Book" usually found hanging on the bathroom wall?

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  8. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    olivier trolled:

    > I never did a custom kernel in my life since all the usual kernels of
    > Slackware always suited my needs. Using 12.0 my notebook worked as a
    > charm with hugesmp.

    It used to be almost necessary to recompile your kernel and use
    modules because of memory constraints. However, linux long ago
    stopped keeping up with hardware advances so it is easy to go with a
    monolithic kernel that contains every driver under the sun.
    Unfortunately, every driver under the sun doesn't include drivers
    for modern hardware in most cases because the amateurs who write the
    linux code are unable to keep up with the teams of professionals who
    turn out first class windoze drivers.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  9. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    olivier trolled:

    > I'm really sorry for you if that is what you think about helping
    > others. I don't even know what is RTFM, but I suppose it is
    > "research, and something else more".

    It means "Read the ****ing Manual." Of course, the inside joke is
    that linux/unix manuals are famous for being unreadable. In fact,
    most unix coders refuse to even write manuals and they are usually
    contributed by imbeciles who can't write, and don't know enough
    about the subject they are trying to write about, anyway.

    This is just another one, of the many thousands of reasons, why
    almost everybody prefers windoze.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  10. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    SteveL trolled:

    > Both are prerequisites for GAFC - Get A ****ing Clue.

    As soon as you see the above words you KNOW you are dealing with a
    35 year-old, going on 12, and you have every right to **** right in
    his face.

    ****ting in your face helps? You like that, do you, big mouth?/

    >> It's understandable that we don't have more linuxers since all the time
    >> that someone ask for some real information we only get geek response
    >> like this one.

    Right on.

    > This is the response recieved when you ask for an answer to a
    > question that has been aswered thousands of times already, in
    > detail, all over the net.

    And yet, why is the answer not apparent in the software itself?

    > Do you really think you are the first linux user to have to learn
    > how to build a custom kernel? Why should Grant repeat what he and others
    > have done countless times before because you would rather wait for him to
    > write and post an answer to your question than search the web yourself.
    > You are lazy. Lazy linux users are not what linux needs.

    And you're pure mouth. The reason you can't help is because you
    have never compiled a kernel, or anything else for that matter, in
    your life.

    Bugger off.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  11. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:04:55 +0000, rm trolled:

    >> Both are prerequisites for GAFC - Get A ****ing Clue.

    > As soon as you see the above words you KNOW you are dealing with a 35

    And as soon as you see a reply from the troll known as "rm", you know
    you're in the bottom 1% of dip****s, as you are the only ones that "rm"
    feels superior to, and might actually be smarter than.

    > cordially, as always,

    Smeg off, troll.

  12. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    Two Ravens wrote:

    > The poster seemed not to know where to look. I was going to refer him
    > to "The Book", but he seemed to need a specific site.

    I forget The Book was updated for 2.6 kernels....

    - Kurt

  13. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    rm@big.justlinux.ca wrote:

    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm

    You don't seem to have been around for a while, have you been on
    holiday? Go anywhere nice?
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  14. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    Two Ravens trolled:
    > rm@big.justlinux.ca wrote:

    >> cordially, as always,
    >>
    >> rm

    > You don't seem to have been around for a while, have you been on
    > holiday? Go anywhere nice?

    We went over to vista. But it's not all that nice.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  15. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    Grant:

    I'm sorry. When you said:
    > So you need to kill the Adaptec driver from being loaded, and fix up
    > these other issues, selective adjustment of rc.modules?

    I understood that maybe I could do the changes without compiling the
    kernel. That's what I meant when I said that I had no clue how to
    achieve it in the rc.modules which I opened and found no reference to
    the driver.

    Kurt & Two Ravens:

    Thank you both very much for the simple and helpful lines you wrote. I
    actually already have read in some places in the web about how to
    reconfigure the kernel. Didn't know that there was a complete document
    about it in
    > README in /usr/src/linux.

    rm:

    > Sure. You should have left the OS on, that was on there when you
    > bought the computer.

    I should agree if I was as lazy as somebody supposes that I am without
    even knowing me. I'm using Slackware for a little more than four years
    and always was very satisfied from it. Windows, I know it since 3.11.
    Cannot say that I had the same pleasure.

    True, never looked too much in the kernel... scared from ****ting it
    completely. In college there were only two people really interested in
    linux:
    - Me, who knows how to handle config files, sudoers, groups, web
    server, database, etc.
    - The other one who only could trust a distribution hand made by
    himself. When I asked how to activate the ACPI, he answered
    immediately "configure and rebuild the kernel" lol. Must say that not
    many colleagues asked him for help.

    About your reply to someone else:
    Don't bother yourself answering these "nice posts". The silence (or
    the non-writing) has value of gold sometimes.

    I will for the moment keep Slackware 12.0 and do a second install to
    do some tests rebuilding the kernel.

    > Linus Torvalds:
    > 'I've used different distributions over the years. Right now I happen to use Fedora 9 on most of the computers I
    > have, which really boils down to the fact that Fedora had fairly good support for PowerPC back when I used
    > that, so I grew used to it. But I actually don't care too much about the distribution, as long as it makes it easy to
    > install and keep reasonably up-to-date. I care about the kernel and a few programs, and the set of programs I
    > really care about is actually fairly small.

    > And when it comes to distributions, ease of installation has actually been one of my main issues - I'm a
    > technical person, but I have a very specific area of interest, and I don't want to fight the rest. So the only
    > distributions I have actively avoided are the ones that are known to be "overly technical" - like the ones that
    > encourage you to compile your own programs etc.

    > Yeah, I can do it, but it kind of defeats the whole point of a distribution for me. So I like the ones that have a
    > name of being easy to use. I've never used plain Debian, for example, but I like Ubuntu. And before Debian
    > people attack me - yeah, I know, I know, it's supposedly much simpler and easier to install these days. But it
    > certainly didn't use to be, so I never had any reason to go for it. '
    > http://www.simple-talk.com/opinion/g...k-of-the-week/

  16. OT (was Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow)

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:52:23 +0000, rm wrote:

    > Two Ravens trolled:
    >> rm@big.justlinux.ca wrote:

    >>> cordially, as always,
    >>>
    >>> rm

    >> You don't seem to have been around for a while, have you been on
    >> holiday? Go anywhere nice?

    > We went over to vista. But it's not all that nice.
    >
    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm

    I saw this story discussed on Slashdot yesterday:
    http://hothardware.com/News/Once_Tri...rs_Like_Vista/

    MS: Vista uptake isn't what we've expected. Mac share is up to 30% of new
    sales. People are downgrading to XP in droves. We've got to do something
    before Vista is the "New Coke." That's it! We'll _show_ them that they
    _should_ like Vista better!

    SD: http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl...3&cid=24356701

    MS: Our focus groups say that they prefer sweeter OSs. We've added a lot
    of sugar. What's not to like?

    SD: http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl...3&cid=24356887
    SD: http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl...3&cid=24357889

    MS: Our media partners have allowed us to play HD video, including
    blu-ray. We've added the necessary internal encryption and checking to
    ensure conformance with the terms of our license. Performance does not
    seem to be severely impacted. What's not to like?

    SD: http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl...3&cid=24357687
    SD: http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl...3&cid=24365451

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  17. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:11:13 -0700, olivier wrote:

    > I'm having trouble with slackware 12.1 in my notebook hp compaq 6715s.
    > With 12.0 it worked fine but now with 12.1 everything seems so slow
    > even booting.
    >
    > I tried changing the hda sda stuff but it didn't change anything at
    > all for me.
    >
    > Until now nobody found a solution?
    >
    > Lol, I really want to upgrade. My workstation computer doesn't seems
    > to have this issue at all.

    I looked up the specs for your laptop. It says that it is using an AMD
    CPU. I know there are some "max_cstate" issues for Intel CPU's, but I have
    no experience with AMD.

    Which kernel version are you using? I assume you have followed the install
    instructions and are booting with the modular kernel with an initrd. Is
    that correct?

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  18. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    I'm using the default kernel hugesmp.s (2.6.24.5) from Slackware 12.1
    Douglas. Was using the same with Slackware 12.0 (kernel 2.6.21.5-smp)
    and it was working fine.

    Best wishes

    On 28 jul, 15:43, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:11:13 -0700, olivier wrote:
    > > I'm having trouble with slackware 12.1 in my notebook hp compaq 6715s.
    > > With 12.0 it worked fine but now with 12.1 everything seems so slow
    > > even booting.

    > > I tried changing the hda sda stuff but it didn't change anything at
    > > all for me.

    > > Until now nobody found a solution?

    > > Lol, I really want to upgrade. My workstation computer doesn't seems
    > > to have this issue at all.

    > I looked up the specs for your laptop. It says that it is using an AMD
    > CPU. I know there are some "max_cstate" issues for Intel CPU's, but I have
    > no experience with AMD.
    >
    > Which kernel version are you using? I assume you have followed the install
    > instructions and are booting with the modular kernel with an initrd. Is
    > that correct?
    >
    > --
    > Douglas Mayne

  19. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:20:02 -0700, olivier wrote:

    > I'm using the default kernel hugesmp.s (2.6.24.5) from Slackware 12.1
    > Douglas. Was using the same with Slackware 12.0 (kernel 2.6.21.5-smp)
    > and it was working fine.
    >
    > Best wishes

    Please, do not top post.

    Try the modular kernel, which requires an initrd to boot. AFAIK, that
    should be the preferred kernel under both Slackware 12.0 and 12.1.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  20. Re: slackwware 12.1 globally slow

    On 28 jul, 16:32, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:20:02 -0700, olivier wrote:
    > > I'm using the default kernel hugesmp.s (2.6.24.5) from Slackware 12.1
    > > Douglas. Was using the same with Slackware 12.0 (kernel 2.6.21.5-smp)
    > > and it was working fine.

    > > Best wishes

    > Please, do not top post.
    >
    > Try the modular kernel, which requires an initrd to boot. AFAIK, that
    > should be the preferred kernel under both Slackware 12.0 and 12.1.
    >
    > --
    > Douglas Mayne

    sorry for the top post. I'm googling about modular kernel install.
    Thanks for the tip.