svgalib problems with textmode restoration - Slackware

This is a discussion on svgalib problems with textmode restoration - Slackware ; [posted to google.svgalib and comp.os.linux.setup on May 27; no replies] [hardware and software details below] Problem: if textmode is ever left, when it is restored, the cursor is flaky: either invisible or in the wrong place. Switching VCs restores cursor ...

  1. svgalib problems with textmode restoration

    [posted to google.svgalib and comp.os.linux.setup on May 27; no
    replies]

    [hardware and software details below]

    Problem: if textmode is ever left, when it is restored, the cursor
    is flaky: either invisible or in the wrong place. Switching VCs
    restores cursor position and visibility, but then doing almost
    anything causes it to misbehave again. This makes any kind
    of visual editing (of a file or even of the command line) close
    to impossible. If I never leave textmode, the cursor always
    behaves as I expect.

    Remarks: I didn't have this problem with kernel 2.4 and svgalib
    1.4.3, from which I recently upgraded. The current svgalib is
    using the Rage driver, which it autodetects ("chipset type 33").
    Though the manpage says that the registers and fontdata
    dumps are stored in /tmp, this build puts them
    in /etc/vga. I carefully create these dumps just after booting
    and before leaving textmode, so they should be ok.

    Hardware: Dell Optiplex GX1p (400 Mhz); ATI 3D Rage Pro
    AGP 1x/2X (rev 5c)

    Software: Linux kernel 2.6.24.5-smp; svgalib 1.9.25 and the
    svgalib-helper kernel module that Slackware 12.1 supplies
    which is supposedly appropriate to both of the above.

    Any clues would be appreciated.

    Jim

  2. Re: svgalib problems with textmode restoration

    Firstly, I forgot to mention that I'm using the huge smp kernel from
    the slackware/a directory.
    Using this is a necessary intermediate step recommended by Patrick V.
    on the way to using the smaller
    supplied kernels (which require buidling an initrd because I have ext3
    filesystems), but I was and am busy
    enough that I have just stayed with the huge kernel so far.
    I don't think it should behave any differently for this purpose than
    the smaller smp kernel would,
    but I don't know.

    > shouldn't there be a libvga.conf file someplace that would have an effect, I
    > seem to recall a text mode restoration value someplace.....should also be a
    > copy in your home directory ~/.svgalibrc

    Yes, it's in /etc/vga/
    I've read what the manpage says about it, and it doesn't seem that it
    has anything relevant to this problem;
    svgalib already autodetects the video chipset correctly; I tried
    explicitly specifying the chipset in libvga.conf,
    but it didn't make any difference, so I commented it out again.

  3. Re: svgalib problems with textmode restoration

    On 2008-06-02, jim wrote:
    > Firstly, I forgot to mention that I'm using the huge smp kernel from
    > the slackware/a directory.
    > Using this is a necessary intermediate step recommended by Patrick V.
    > on the way to using the smaller
    > supplied kernels (which require buidling an initrd because I have ext3
    > filesystems), but I was and am busy
    > enough that I have just stayed with the huge kernel so far.
    > I don't think it should behave any differently for this purpose than
    > the smaller smp kernel would,
    > but I don't know.
    >
    >> shouldn't there be a libvga.conf file someplace that would have an effect, I
    >> seem to recall a text mode restoration value someplace.....should also be a
    >> copy in your home directory ~/.svgalibrc

    > Yes, it's in /etc/vga/
    > I've read what the manpage says about it, and it doesn't seem that it
    > has anything relevant to this problem;
    > svgalib already autodetects the video chipset correctly; I tried
    > explicitly specifying the chipset in libvga.conf,
    > but it didn't make any difference, so I commented it out again.

    Maybe man textmode might be of some help, it's part of the svgalib package.
    also maybe restoretextmode....assuming I understand the problem.

    You also might try and check out the files that were installed for this
    package in /var/log/something or other...might provide some additional test
    programs or other utilities that you may not know about.

    Also, did you try checking out svgalib.org for info.

    For some reason, I seem to recall I compiled and installed it myself for
    some reason, several years ago, though I don't rememebr why and I can't find
    the orginal set of program files refresh my memory.

    ken

+ Reply to Thread