Default font "fixed" - Slackware

This is a discussion on Default font "fixed" - Slackware ; Installing slack 12.1 on a small laptop, have got as far as starting X, failing because `Cant find default font `fixed''. Any idea what `fixed' is? (I copied one of the font familys in /usr/share/fonts to `fixed', no joy.) -- ...

  1. Default font "fixed"

    --
    Greymaus

    Don't like the Lisbon brownoses?.
    Vote `No'

  2. Re: Default font "fixed"

    greymaus wrote :

    > Installing slack 12.1 on a small laptop, have got as far as starting X,
    > failing because `Cant find default font `fixed''. Any idea what `fixed'
    > is?

    Its the fonts in the "font-misc-misc-1.0.0.noarch-2.tgz" package.
    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: Default font "fixed"

    On May 30, 4:40 pm, greymaus wrote:
    > Installing slack 12.1 on a small laptop, have got as far as starting X,
    > failing because `Cant find default font `fixed''. Any idea what `fixed'
    > is? (I copied one of the font familys in /usr/share/fonts to `fixed', no
    > joy.)

    you must install 'fontconfig' first,then install the fonts.Otherwise
    you will get the problem.

  4. Re: Default font "fixed"

    On 2008-05-30, greymaus wrote:

    > Installing slack 12.1 on a small laptop, have got as far as starting X,
    > failing because `Cant find default font `fixed''. Any idea what `fixed'
    > is? (I copied one of the font familys in /usr/share/fonts to `fixed', no
    > joy.)

    After a lot of fiddling with this, no joy. Then I downloaded the file
    fonts-misc-misc* from the 12.1 release, and the file fonts-misc-misc* from
    the 12.0 release, unpacked them both into empty directories, and checked
    the contents. There are 2 files in the 12.0 directory, encodings.dir and
    fonts.alias, (These are the raw downloads, not after being
    `installpkg'-ed. The fonts-alias file has 'fixed' as an alias for one of
    the fonts.

    --
    Greymaus

    Don't like the Lisbon brownnoses?.
    Vote `No'

  5. Re: Default font "fixed"

    greymaus wrote :

    > After a lot of fiddling with this, no joy. Then I downloaded the file
    > fonts-misc-misc* from the 12.1 release, and the file fonts-misc-misc* from
    > the 12.0 release, unpacked them both into empty directories, and checked
    > the contents.

    You can have the files in a Slackware package listed using the 'less'
    command, or you can browse the package using Midnight Commander (mc).

    > There are 2 files in the 12.0 directory, encodings.dir and
    > fonts.alias, (These are the raw downloads, not after being
    > `installpkg'-ed. The fonts-alias file has 'fixed' as an alias for one
    > of the fonts.

    Check the md5sum because those packages must be b0rken, here there's
    more than 300 fonts included. If the md5sum fails then download the
    packages from another mirror.
    --
    Thomas O.