HOW2 chroot 'back to original' ? - Slackware

This is a discussion on HOW2 chroot 'back to original' ? - Slackware ; Instead of just discard-and-install-new where you loose all your fine-tuned settings; I prefer to access applications which are familiar to me, that are on old installations' partitions. So I do: chroot /mnt This is OK, except after running the app. ...

  1. HOW2 chroot 'back to original' ?

    Instead of just discard-and-install-new where you
    loose all your fine-tuned settings; I prefer to access
    applications which are familiar to me, that are on
    old installations' partitions.

    So I do: chroot /mnt

    This is OK, except after running the app. the rdev
    shows that 'this' VT has the chroot root.

    I want it to return to the original 'root', after the
    app. is run.

    I can't directly use the chroot command, because
    'df' in the new-root shows that were I want to return
    to is obviously unmounted. And to mount it, would
    start to be absurd.

    Please advize.

    == Chris Glur.

  2. Re: HOW2 chroot 'back to original' ?

    exit?

    problems@gmail wrote:

    > Instead of just discard-and-install-new where you
    > loose all your fine-tuned settings; I prefer to access
    > applications which are familiar to me, that are on
    > old installations' partitions.
    >
    > So I do: chroot /mnt
    >
    > This is OK, except after running the app. the rdev
    > shows that 'this' VT has the chroot root.
    >
    > I want it to return to the original 'root', after the
    > app. is run.
    >
    > I can't directly use the chroot command, because
    > 'df' in the new-root shows that were I want to return
    > to is obviously unmounted. And to mount it, would
    > start to be absurd.
    >
    > Please advize.
    >
    > == Chris Glur.

  3. Re: HOW2 chroot 'back to original' ?

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 00:04:18 -0500, problems@gmail wrote:

    >Instead of just discard-and-install-new where you
    >loose all your fine-tuned settings; I prefer to access
    >applications which are familiar to me, that are on
    >old installations' partitions.
    >
    >So I do: chroot /mnt
    >
    >This is OK, except after running the app. the rdev
    >shows that 'this' VT has the chroot root.
    >
    >I want it to return to the original 'root', after the
    >app. is run.
    >
    >I can't directly use the chroot command, because
    >'df' in the new-root shows that were I want to return
    >to is obviously unmounted. And to mount it, would
    >start to be absurd.
    >
    >Please advize.
    >
    >== Chris Glur.

    Simply exit from the chrooted environment:

    chroot /mnt; ; exit

    Scott McMillan

  4. Re: HOW2 chroot 'back to original' ?

    On May 27, 5:04 pm, problems@gmail wrote:
    > Instead of just discard-and-install-new where you
    > loose all your fine-tuned settings; I prefer to access
    > applications which are familiar to me, that are on
    > old installations' partitions.
    >
    > So I do: chroot /mnt
    >
    > This is OK, except after running the app. the rdev
    > shows that 'this' VT has the chroot root.
    >
    > I want it to return to the original 'root', after the
    > app. is run.
    >
    > I can't directly use the chroot command, because
    > 'df' in the new-root shows that were I want to return
    > to is obviously unmounted. And to mount it, would
    > start to be absurd.
    >
    > Please advize.
    >
    > == Chris Glur.

    Can't you just 'exit' the chroot?