Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that? - Slackware ; As the topic. thx. Best regards, slackcode...

  1. Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that?

    As the topic.

    thx.

    Best regards,
    slackcode

  2. Re: Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that?

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 12:39:09 -0700, SlackCode wrote:

    > As the topic.

    It's not a topic but a "Subject", the 'topic' will exist
    if viable after the post would stop to stand alone in the
    dark, i-e after it'll have a proper follow-up

    So maybe it now has that quality but that's not so sure...

    If you're thinking about the /usr/bin/locale that'd list
    the possible language to entagle a compilation with
    that one which in Debian and lesser clones was renamed
    to locale.gen, you'll find it in the glibc pkg
    (e.g. .../slackware/l/glibc-2.7-i486-10.tgz)
    as you probably would have guess.
    Now if your subject is about some other "thins"
    (the Incredible Hulkton?) please add-up some info
    and details, you may even try to put them in the message body
    and use for Subject: "beware, the content and details are in place" ;-)

  3. Re: Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that?

    On 5月28日, 上午5时10分, loki harfagr wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 12:39:09 -0700, SlackCode wrote:
    > > As the topic.

    > It's not a topic but a "Subject", the 'topic' will exist
    > if viable after the post would stop to stand alone in the
    > dark, i-e after it'll have a proper follow-up
    >
    > So maybe it now has that quality but that's not so sure...
    >
    > If you're thinking about the /usr/bin/locale that'd list
    > the possible language to entagle a compilation with
    > that one which in Debian and lesser clones was renamed
    > to locale.gen, you'll find it in the glibc pkg
    > (e.g. .../slackware/l/glibc-2.7-i486-10.tgz)
    > as you probably would have guess.
    > Now if your subject is about some other "thins"
    > (the Incredible Hulkton?) please add-up some info
    > and details, you may even try to put them in the message body
    > and use for Subject: "beware, the content and details are in place" ;-)

    Thank you for your warm answer. And I have poor english. Studying.
    When I used Arch Linux, I can modify a file called locale.conf, then
    run locale.gen so it can chage locale.
    In slackware, locale -a list all of the language. I'm not sure if this
    will slow down my computer, I think it is yes.
    So I want delete other languages. I just thought locale.gen....

    thx

    regards,
    slackcode

  4. Re: Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that?

    On 2008-05-28, slackcode wrote:

    > Thank you for your warm answer. And I have poor english. Studying.
    > When I used Arch Linux, I can modify a file called locale.conf, then
    > run locale.gen so it can chage locale.

    /etc/profile.d/lang.sh or lang.csh is what you want, I believe.
    For changing it "on the fly," just export the desired value into your
    shell environment.

    > In slackware, locale -a list all of the language. I'm not sure if this
    > will slow down my computer, I think it is yes.
    > So I want delete other languages. I just thought locale.gen....

    Waste of time; the extra languages aren't going to slow down your computer.

    -RW

  5. Re: Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that?

    On 5月28日, 下午12时37分, Robby Workman wrote:
    > On 2008-05-28, slackcode wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you for your warm answer. And I have poor english. Studying.
    > > When I used Arch Linux, I can modify a file called locale.conf, then
    > > run locale.gen so it can chage locale.

    > /etc/profile.d/lang.sh or lang.csh is what you want, I believe.
    > For changing it "on the fly," just export the desired value into your
    > shell environment.

    I know this. Thank you.

  6. Re: Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that?

    On 5月28日, 下午12时37分, Robby Workman wrote:
    > On 2008-05-28, slackcode wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you for your warm answer. And I have poor english. Studying.
    > > When I used Arch Linux, I can modify a file called locale.conf, then
    > > run locale.gen so it can chage locale.

    > /etc/profile.d/lang.sh or lang.csh is what you want, I believe.
    > For changing it "on the fly," just export the desired value into your
    > shell environment.

    I know this. Thank you.

  7. Re: Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that?

    On 2008-05-28, slackcode wrote:
    > On 5??28??, ????12??37??, Robby Workman wrote:
    >> On 2008-05-28, slackcode wrote:
    >>
    >> > Thank you for your warm answer. And I have poor english. Studying.
    >> > When I used Arch Linux, I can modify a file called locale.conf, then
    >> > run locale.gen so it can chage locale.

    >> /etc/profile.d/lang.sh or lang.csh is what you want, I believe.
    >> For changing it "on the fly," just export the desired value into your
    >> shell environment.
    >>

    > I know this. Thank you.

    So what are you asking then?

    Are you saying that you *already* knew that, and it was *not* what
    you're trying to find, or are you saying that you did *not* already
    know it and that it helped you? Now I'm confused...

    -RW

  8. Re: Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that?

    On 5月29日, 上午2时38分, Robby Workman wrote:
    > On 2008-05-28, slackcode wrote:

    > >> /etc/profile.d/lang.sh or lang.csh is what you want, I believe.
    > >> For changing it "on the fly," just export the desired value into your
    > >> shell environment.

    > > I know this. Thank you.

    > So what are you asking then?
    >
    > Are you saying that you *already* knew that, and it was *not* what
    > you're trying to find, or are you saying that you did *not* already
    > know it and that it helped you? Now I'm confused...
    >
    > -RW

    Sorry.
    When I use Arch Linux, I just modify the /etc/locale.conf.
    Make it just leave zh_CN and en_US( I'm Chinese )
    then run locale.gen, and then, you can type locale -a
    now it list only zh_CN* and en_US*.
    But in slackware, it seens that I can't find locale.gen and
    locale.conf.
    locale -a list all of the language supported.
    I just think this will slow(very a little) my computer.
    I want to know how to do like Arch Linux.

    thx

    best regards,
    slackcode

  9. Re: Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that?

    On 5月29日, 上午2时38分, Robby Workman wrote:
    > On 2008-05-28, slackcode wrote:

    > >> /etc/profile.d/lang.sh or lang.csh is what you want, I believe.
    > >> For changing it "on the fly," just export the desired value into your
    > >> shell environment.

    > > I know this. Thank you.

    > So what are you asking then?
    >
    > Are you saying that you *already* knew that, and it was *not* what
    > you're trying to find, or are you saying that you did *not* already
    > know it and that it helped you? Now I'm confused...
    >
    > -RW

    Sorry.
    When I use Arch Linux, I just modify the /etc/locale.conf.
    Make it just leave zh_CN and en_US( I'm Chinese )
    then run locale.gen, and then, you can type locale -a
    now it list only zh_CN* and en_US*.
    But in slackware, it seens that I can't find locale.gen and
    locale.conf.
    locale -a list all of the language supported.
    I just think this will slow(very a little) my computer.
    I want to know how to do like Arch Linux.

    thx

    best regards,
    slackcode

  10. Re: Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that?

    On 5月29日, 上午2时38分, Robby Workman wrote:
    > On 2008-05-28, slackcode wrote:

    > >> /etc/profile.d/lang.sh or lang.csh is what you want, I believe.
    > >> For changing it "on the fly," just export the desired value into your
    > >> shell environment.

    > > I know this. Thank you.

    > So what are you asking then?
    >
    > Are you saying that you *already* knew that, and it was *not* what
    > you're trying to find, or are you saying that you did *not* already
    > know it and that it helped you? Now I'm confused...
    >
    > -RW

    Sorry.
    When I use Arch Linux, I just modify the /etc/locale.conf.
    Make it just leave zh_CN and en_US( I'm Chinese )
    then run locale.gen, and then, you can type locale -a
    now it list only zh_CN* and en_US*.
    But in slackware, it seens that I can't find locale.gen and
    locale.conf.
    locale -a list all of the language supported.
    I just think this will slow(very a little) my computer.
    I want to know how to do like Arch Linux.

    thx

    best regards,
    slackcode

  11. Re: Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that?

    Wed, 28 May 2008 14:28:56 -0700, slackcode did cat*:

    > On 5鏈29鏃, 涓婂崍2鏃38鍒, Robby Workman wrote:
    >> On 2008-05-28, slackcode wrote:

    >> > I know this. Thank you.

    >> So what are you asking then?
    >>
    >> Are you saying that you *already* knew that, and it was *not* what
    >> you're trying to find, or are you saying that you did *not* already
    >> know it and that it helped you? Now I'm confused...
    >>
    >> -RW

    > Sorry.
    > When I use Arch Linux, I just modify the /etc/locale.conf. Make it just
    > leave zh_CN and en_US( I'm Chinese ) then run locale.gen, and then, you
    > can type locale -a now it list only zh_CN* and en_US*.
    > But in slackware, it seens that I can't find locale.gen and locale.conf.
    > locale -a list all of the language supported. I just think this will
    > slow(very a little) my computer. I want to know how to do like Arch
    > Linux.

    You want it, you got it, here's a simple way:
    $ find /usr/lib/locale/ -type d -maxdepth 1 ! -name '*zh_CN*' -a ! -name '*en_US*' -print | grep -v '\/$' |while read ll; do echo "rm -r ${ll}" ; done | sh

    And if you want to get back to where you started:
    $ upgradepkg --reinstall /home/_slackware-current/slackware/l/glibc-i18n-2.3.6-noarch-6.tgz

    Now, sincerely, you had better be quiet and don't do it, it will
    do just what you wanted and calm down the output of 'locale -a' but
    that'll barely change anything in ``slowing or un-slowing'' your
    computer :-)
    Anyway, you asked thrice for it, you deserved to have it.

    PS: please check your finger and/or your mouseclick and/or your keyboard,
    you have some factor that increments duplicates to your postage each time,
    if you post an answer and we see 4 of them we'll have to set an UDP before
    the pyramidal effects would eat all the Usenet space ;-)

  12. Re: Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that?

    Loki Harfagr wrote:
    > You want it, you got it, here's a simple way:
    > $ find /usr/lib/locale/ -type d -maxdepth 1 ! -name '*zh_CN*' -a ! -name '*en_US*' -print | grep -v '\/$' |while read ll; do echo "rm -r ${ll}" ; done | sh

    Note that most of the language files are in
    /usr/share/locale and /usr/share/i18n
    This is setup by the glibc-i18n package and added TO (usr/share/locale)
    by most other packages with multi-language support.
    Do a
    grep -l 'usr/share/locale/$' /var/log/packages/*
    to see how many packages use this (and everytime you add another
    package that tree will be (partially) recreated when you remove it).
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  13. Re: Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that?

    Thu, 29 May 2008 09:21:40 +0200, Eef Hartman did cat*:

    > Loki Harfagr wrote:
    >> You want it, you got it, here's a simple way: $ find /usr/lib/locale/
    >> -type d -maxdepth 1 ! -name '*zh_CN*' -a ! -name '*en_US*' -print |
    >> grep -v '\/$' |while read ll; do echo "rm -r ${ll}" ; done | sh

    > Note that most of the language files are in /usr/share/locale and
    > /usr/share/i18n This is setup by the glibc-i18n package and added TO
    > (usr/share/locale) by most other packages with multi-language support.

    Indeed, and my first try with the find started with :
    $ find /usr/lib/locale/ /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/ /usr/share/i18n/locales/ ...

    but, as the OP only wanted to get rid of the calling part I thought
    he only needed to swipe parts off the /usr/lib/locale/, then he'd
    have less hazards to misstype one path and b0rk hellluzer all over ;-)

    > Do a
    > grep -l 'usr/share/locale/$' /var/log/packages/* to see how many
    > packages use this (and everytime you add another package that tree will
    > be (partially) recreated when you remove it).

    Yep, that's a positive side-effect of having a packager like Pat who
    never hesitate to get help from heavy 'locales' users, like you for
    instance ;-) to make his packgages helpful for the most.

    So, even if the OP insists to mimick his praised 'locale.gen' and
    tries to touch his locales installation, with my 'dirty recipe' or
    any other mean mean he'll won't be hurt for too long :-)

  14. Re: Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that?

    On 5月29日, 下午3时06分, Loki Harfagr wrote:
    > Wed, 28 May 2008 14:28:56 -0700, slackcode did cat :

    > >> So what are you asking then?

    > >> Are you saying that you *already* knew that, and it was *not* what
    > >> you're trying to find, or are you saying that you did *not* already
    > >> know it and that it helped you? Now I'm confused...

    > >> -RW

    > > Sorry.
    > > When I use Arch Linux, I just modify the /etc/locale.conf. Make it just
    > > leave zh_CN and en_US( I'm Chinese ) then run locale.gen, and then, you
    > > can type locale -a now it list only zh_CN* and en_US*.
    > > But in slackware, it seens that I can't find locale.gen and locale.conf.
    > > locale -a list all of the language supported. I just think this will
    > > slow(very a little) my computer. I want to know how to do like Arch
    > > Linux.

    > You want it, you got it, here's a simple way:
    > $ find /usr/lib/locale/ -type d -maxdepth 1 ! -name '*zh_CN*' -a ! -name '*en_US*' -print | grep -v '\/$' |while read ll; do echo "rm -r ${ll}" ; done | sh
    >
    > And if you want to get back to where you started:
    > $ upgradepkg --reinstall /home/_slackware-current/slackware/l/glibc-i18n-2..3.6-noarch-6.tgz
    >
    > Now, sincerely, you had better be quiet and don't do it, it will
    > do just what you wanted and calm down the output of 'locale -a' but
    > that'll barely change anything in ``slowing or un-slowing'' your
    > computer :-)
    > Anyway, you asked thrice for it, you deserved to have it.

    You help me a lot, friend.
    I will try and do some testing.

    > PS: please check your finger and/or your mouseclick and/or your keyboard,
    > you have some factor that increments duplicates to your postage each time,
    > if you post an answer and we see 4 of them we'll have to set an UDP before
    > the pyramidal effects would eat all the Usenet space ;-)

    I don't know why. But It will be ok now

  15. Re: Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that?

    On 5月29日, 下午3时21分, Eef Hartman wrote:
    > Loki Harfagr wrote:
    > > You want it, you got it, here's a simple way:
    > > $ find /usr/lib/locale/ -type d -maxdepth 1 ! -name '*zh_CN*' -a ! -name '*en_US*' -print | grep -v '\/$' |while read ll; do echo "rm -r ${ll}" ; done | sh

    > Note that most of the language files are in
    > /usr/share/locale and /usr/share/i18n
    > This is setup by the glibc-i18n package and added TO (usr/share/locale)
    > by most other packages with multi-language support.
    > Do a
    > grep -l 'usr/share/locale/$' /var/log/packages/*
    > to see how many packages use this (and everytime you add another
    > package that tree will be (partially) recreated when you remove it).
    > --
    > ************************************************** ******************
    > ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    > ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hart...@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **
    > ** snail-mail: P.O. Box 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands **
    > ************************************************** ******************

    cool command.

  16. Re: Do slackware have locale.gen or some thins like that?

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 07:51:32 -0700, slackcode wrote:

    > On 5鏈29鏃, 涓嬪崍3鏃21鍒, Eef Hartman wrote:
    >> Loki Harfagr wrote:
    >> > You want it, you got it, here's a simple way: $ find /usr/lib/locale/
    >> > -type d -maxdepth 1 ! -name '*zh_CN*' -a ! -name '*en_US*' -print |
    >> > grep -v '\/$' |while read ll; do echo "rm -r ${ll}" ; done | sh

    >> Note that most of the language files are in /usr/share/locale and
    >> /usr/share/i18n This is setup by the glibc-i18n package and added TO
    >> (usr/share/locale) by most other packages with multi-language support.
    >> Do a
    >> grep -l 'usr/share/locale/$' /var/log/packages/* to see how many
    >> packages use this (and everytime you add another package that tree will
    >> be (partially) recreated when you remove it). --

    > cool command.

    True, and in case you would not only to check which installed package
    uses it but globally want to know which pkg *may* use it you
    could use your ...MANIFEST.bz2, for instance:
    # bzcat .../slackware-*/slackware/MANIFEST.bz2 | awk '/ usr\/share\/locale\//{print $5 }' RS=

    of course it'll probably list most of the packages that install
    anything having active or passive interaction with the user and/or
    set up by a dev' who cared about being read by other languages ;D)

    If you test the cleansing of locales I hope you'll post the results
    about the tests and measures of possible 'speed' amelioration or
    aggravation :-)
    Good luck!

    PS: it seems you efficiently cured your spastic mouseclick, thanks!

+ Reply to Thread