more 12.1 woes - Slackware

This is a discussion on more 12.1 woes - Slackware ; OK, I figure I'll jes blow past the previous NIC prob (re: restart 12 network), which I'm now suspecting is a h/w prob. I tried to install 12.1, but am getting a kernel panic: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: ...

  1. more 12.1 woes

    OK, I figure I'll jes blow past the previous NIC prob (re: restart 12
    network), which I'm now suspecting is a h/w prob. I tried to install 12.1,
    but am getting a kernel panic:

    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs unknown - block
    (8.2)
    atkb.c : Spurious ACK on isa 0060/serio0. Some program might be trying
    access hardware directly

    (or something like that) This with a huge.s kernel.

    OK, this is a 450 PII 512 cache, adaptec scsi ultra2 (2940), CD burner, CD
    player, 2 ibm scsi drives. I've got NO ISA hardware. One scsi drive with
    some old Windows files, but none of the M$ boot files.

    This is the very first version of slack that didn't install with zero
    issues since about 9.1, previous being bare.i, last successful slack ver
    being 11. I've googled for it and have narrowed it down to confusion
    between new 2.6 kernel and scsi and sata drivers file location changes.
    But, I'm at a loss as to how to resolve this from an install CD. Any
    suggestions.

    nb

  2. Re: more 12.1 woes

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 09:38:30 -0600, notbob wrote:

    > I've googled for it and have narrowed it down to confusion
    > between new 2.6 kernel and scsi and sata drivers file location changes.
    > But, I'm at a loss as to how to resolve this from an install CD. Any
    > suggestions.

    If this is indeed the SATA driver issue, you can solve it at install by
    passing the following option to the kernel when booting the CD prior to
    install:

    "hda=noprobe"

    as well as when first booting after install with huge or generic. Then
    build a kernel without ide support and use that going forward. This
    worked for me. Otherwise the installer insists on using hdx and not
    sdx. See CHANGES and HINTS text.

    HTH

    --
    This isn't who it would be if it wasn't who it is.

  3. Re: more 12.1 woes

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 09:38:30 -0600, notbob wrote:

    >OK, I figure I'll jes blow past the previous NIC prob (re: restart 12
    >network), which I'm now suspecting is a h/w prob. I tried to install 12.1,
    >but am getting a kernel panic:
    >
    >Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs unknown - block
    >(8.2)

    You're getting this booting the install cd/dvd?

    >atkb.c : Spurious ACK on isa 0060/serio0. Some program might be trying
    >access hardware directly

    I had this after a kernel panix, ignore it -- nothing's same at that point

    >OK, this is a 450 PII 512 cache, adaptec scsi ultra2 (2940), CD burner, CD
    >player, 2 ibm scsi drives. I've got NO ISA hardware. One scsi drive with
    >some old Windows files, but none of the M$ boot files.

    Perhaps it's the old SCSI hardware having the issues? The slack kernel
    has so many disc drivers built in perhaps the wrong driver is getting
    control -- you may be able to see this from the screen before the panic.
    You may need to fit a custom kernel to a install cd.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  4. Re: more 12.1 woes

    Hallo, notbob,

    Du meintest am 27.05.08:

    > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs unknown -
    > block (8.2)

    > OK, this is a 450 PII 512 cache, adaptec scsi ultra2 (2940), CD
    > burner,

    Is the SCSI driver part of the kernel or is it a module?
    If it's a module you have to load it via an init ramdisk.

    If you (let) make an init ramdisk via "mkinitrd": this program should
    run on the target computer (and that may be a hen-and-egg-problem).

  5. Re: more 12.1 woes

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 09:38:30 -0600, notbob wrote:

    > OK, I figure I'll jes blow past the previous NIC prob (re: restart 12
    > network), which I'm now suspecting is a h/w prob. I tried to install
    > 12.1, but am getting a kernel panic:
    >
    > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs unknown - block
    > (8.2)
    > atkb.c : Spurious ACK on isa 0060/serio0. Some program might be trying
    > access hardware directly
    >
    > (or something like that) This with a huge.s kernel.
    >
    > OK, this is a 450 PII 512 cache, adaptec scsi ultra2 (2940), CD burner,
    > CD player, 2 ibm scsi drives. I've got NO ISA hardware. One scsi drive
    > with some old Windows files, but none of the M$ boot files.
    >
    > This is the very first version of slack that didn't install with zero
    > issues since about 9.1, previous being bare.i, last successful slack ver
    > being 11. I've googled for it and have narrowed it down to confusion
    > between new 2.6 kernel and scsi and sata drivers file location changes.
    > But, I'm at a loss as to how to resolve this from an install CD. Any
    > suggestions.
    >
    > nb

    I just had much the same problem. Tried all sorts of remedies until I
    decided to see what the BIOS/CMOS settings looked like.
    My clue was that although I have SCSI HD in my laptop Slackware 12.1
    loaded into what showed as hdax instead of sdax while 12.0 loaded into
    sdax. Had to use a bootdisk to boot up and things were "s l o w" to the
    extreme. Found SATA disabled and I enabled it and re-installed Slackware
    12.1 and it exists on sdax now and rocks like it should.

  6. Re: more 12.1 woes

    On 2008-05-30, Gordie wrote:

    > extreme. Found SATA disabled and I enabled it and re-installed Slackware
    > 12.1 and it exists on sdax now and rocks like it should.

    yeahbut......

    This an old 440 bx mobo with pII cpu. No sata here.

    What's the kernels for 12.1? This is the first time I didn't see a whole
    slew of kernel choices when hitting F2. What? No scsi? Just huge.s and
    hugesmyada?

    nb

  7. Re: more 12.1 woes

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 22:51:38 +0000, notbob wrote:

    > On 2008-05-30, Gordie wrote:
    >
    >> extreme. Found SATA disabled and I enabled it and re-installed
    >> Slackware 12.1 and it exists on sdax now and rocks like it should.

    > yeahbut......
    >
    > This an old 440 bx mobo with pII cpu. No sata here.
    >
    > What's the kernels for 12.1? This is the first time I didn't see a whole
    > slew of kernel choices when hitting F2. What? No scsi? Just huge.s and
    > hugesmyada?
    >
    > nb

    Ah yes, seems you need a pentium pro or better to use the default huge-smp.

    I just installed last night on a Thinkpad 380XD. The odd thing was that
    despite choosing huge.s to install, the installer still defaulted to
    huge-smp such that on first boot I failed to even "start" loading the
    kernel - not even so far as to get a kernel panic.

    I needed to reboot using disk one as a rescue disk - pointing to the root
    partition as /boot - and the edited lilo. Actually, I just needed to
    delete vmlinuz from /boot and create a new vmlinuz symlink to huge (not
    huge-smp), ran lilo -t, then lilo and all was good. Still need to build a
    better kernel for this box though. Think I may use it as a thin client.
    It seems a bit underwhelming. Just a lowly Pentium MMX.

    HTH

    --
    This isn't who it would be if it wasn't who it is.

  8. Re: more 12.1 woes

    > On Fri, 30 May 2008 22:51:38 +0000, notbob wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-05-30, Gordie wrote:
    >>
    >>> extreme. Found SATA disabled and I enabled it and re-installed
    >>> Slackware 12.1 and it exists on sdax now and rocks like it should.

    >> yeahbut......
    >>
    >> This an old 440 bx mobo with pII cpu. No sata here.
    >>
    >> What's the kernels for 12.1? This is the first time I didn't see a
    >> whole slew of kernel choices when hitting F2. What? No scsi? Just
    >> huge.s and hugesmyada?
    >>
    >> nb

    I meant to agree with you on the comment regarding the kernel choices.
    I believe there's a need for a few additional slightly specialized kernels
    to choose from at boot as well - I seem to remember having a few
    more otions back with 10.2 or even 11.0. Maybe I'm wrong.

    --
    This isn't who it would be if it wasn't who it is.

  9. Re: more 12.1 woes

    On Fri, 30 May 2008, notbob wrote:

    > On 2008-05-30, Gordie wrote:
    >
    >> extreme. Found SATA disabled and I enabled it and re-installed Slackware
    >> 12.1 and it exists on sdax now and rocks like it should.

    > yeahbut......
    >
    > This an old 440 bx mobo with pII cpu. No sata here.
    >
    > What's the kernels for 12.1? This is the first time I didn't see a whole
    > slew of kernel choices when hitting F2. What? No scsi? Just huge.s and
    > hugesmyada?
    >
    > nb

    That's where the "huge" came in.

    Remember, in earlier versions, the kernel could fit on a floppy. Hence
    it had to be streamlined, and the way to do that and still be able
    to handle lots of odd hardware was to have a string of kernels, each
    compiled for whatever odd hardware. So there'd be a "main" kernel that
    had the key things, and then one that used an interface on a sound card,
    and one that replaced the IDE interface with SCSI, and so on. Each could
    remain small, but you couldn't expect each to boot every kind of hardware.

    But then the kernel got bigger, and it no longer fit on a floppy. At
    that point, there was little reason to keep things compact, so the rise
    of "huge" kernels, that had everything including the kitchen sink. They
    should boot everything. The disadvantage is that they are huge.

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread