restarting slack 12 network - Slackware

This is a discussion on restarting slack 12 network - Slackware ; Arrrghh!.... I got a backup box I had to break out cuz my main slack box died. It's been loaded with 12 and was working ok. Now, I can't get the NIC up. dmesg shows it's detected (netgear 310) and ...

  1. restarting slack 12 network

    Arrrghh!....

    I got a backup box I had to break out cuz my main slack box died. It's
    been loaded with 12 and was working ok. Now, I can't get the NIC up.
    dmesg shows it's detected (netgear 310) and I even have host ip settings in
    my dhcpd-eth0.info files, so I know it has worked, but I get no eth0 with
    ifconfig up/start/restart. All the NIC lights work, I can ping lo, and all
    the tulip driver mods are loaded, yada yada. But, no eth0! I think what I
    did was an 'ifconfig eth0 down' command and never got my NIC back.

    I've rebooted, tried 'service network (re)start' and a buncha other alleged
    restarts but there are no such files in 12 as /etc/init.d/networking and
    /etc/rc.d/rc.network(ing?), etc. I remember doing this once several years
    ago with 9 or 10 slack and playing hell getting it back, then, too.

    Anyone know what I whacked out when I ifconfig'd down? I'll just do a full
    12.1 install if I have to, but I'd like to whip this thing, first.

    nb

  2. Re: restarting slack 12 network

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 20:55:48 -0600, notbob wrote:

    > Arrrghh!....
    > I think what I did was an 'ifconfig eth0 down' command and never got my
    > NIC back.

    maybe

    #ifconfig eth0 up

    then

    #/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart

  3. Re: restarting slack 12 network

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 20:55:48 -0600, notbob wrote:

    >Arrrghh!....
    >
    >I got a backup box I had to break out cuz my main slack box died. It's
    >been loaded with 12 and was working ok. Now, I can't get the NIC up.
    >dmesg shows it's detected (netgear 310) and I even have host ip settings in
    >my dhcpd-eth0.info files, so I know it has worked, but I get no eth0 with
    >ifconfig up/start/restart. All the NIC lights work, I can ping lo, and all
    >the tulip driver mods are loaded, yada yada. But, no eth0! I think what I
    >did was an 'ifconfig eth0 down' command and never got my NIC back.
    >
    >I've rebooted, tried 'service network (re)start' and a buncha other alleged
    >restarts but there are no such files in 12 as /etc/init.d/networking and
    >/etc/rc.d/rc.network(ing?), etc. I remember doing this once several years
    >ago with 9 or 10 slack and playing hell getting it back, then, too.
    >
    >Anyone know what I whacked out when I ifconfig'd down? I'll just do a full
    >12.1 install if I have to, but I'd like to whip this thing, first.
    >
    >nb

    Well, the first thing to try is `/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1'

    From the "dhcpd-eth0.info" I conclude you get assigned an IP when you
    connect. To whom are you connecting? Are the settings in
    /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf correct? Does rc.inet1 have permissions 755?
    --
    buck

  4. Re: restarting slack 12 network

    In article ,
    notbob wrote:

    > I got a backup box I had to break out cuz my main slack box died. It's
    > been loaded with 12 and was working ok. Now, I can't get the NIC up.
    > dmesg shows it's detected (netgear 310) and I even have host ip settings in
    > my dhcpd-eth0.info files, so I know it has worked, but I get no eth0 with
    > ifconfig up/start/restart. All the NIC lights work, I can ping lo, and all
    > the tulip driver mods are loaded, yada yada. But, no eth0! I think what I
    > did was an 'ifconfig eth0 down' command and never got my NIC back.

    Are you now using a different NIC from the one you used in the previous
    box? If so, I've run into that problem before. udev remembers each NIC's
    MAC address in /etc/udev/rules.d/75-network-device.rules (on Slackware
    12.0; I think that name changed in Slackware 12.1) and will assign any
    subsequently detected NIC to eth1, eth2, etc. So your NIC might actually
    be eth1 now. To fix that, delete said file and reboot, and it'll be
    regenerated with your current NIC at eth0.

    > I've rebooted, tried 'service network (re)start' and a buncha other alleged
    > restarts but there are no such files in 12 as /etc/init.d/networking and
    > /etc/rc.d/rc.network(ing?), etc. I remember doing this once several years
    > ago with 9 or 10 slack and playing hell getting it back, then, too.

    The equivalent of that in Slackware is /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.

    - Martijn

  5. Re: restarting slack 12 network

    In article ,
    Martijn Dekker wrote:

    > udev remembers each NIC's
    > MAC address in /etc/udev/rules.d/75-network-device.rules (on Slackware
    > 12.0; I think that name changed in Slackware 12.1) and will assign any
    > subsequently detected NIC to eth1, eth2, etc.

    In Slackware 12.1, that file is:
    /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

    - M.

+ Reply to Thread