At least one survey Slack scores well - Slackware

This is a discussion on At least one survey Slack scores well - Slackware ; On Wed, 28 May 2008 14:17:51 +1000, Res wrote: >> Ummmm, you oughta wipe that egg off'n your face, dude. >> >> Then go sign up for some reading comprehension classes, and be sure to pay >> attention to the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68

Thread: At least one survey Slack scores well

  1. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 14:17:51 +1000, Res wrote:

    >> Ummmm, you oughta wipe that egg off'n your face, dude.
    >>
    >> Then go sign up for some reading comprehension classes, and be sure to pay
    >> attention to the part about "quote marks"...


    > well its funny that pine reflects it, and hypermail reflects it, aint it.
    > im not going to use some moronic client just to suit soke trolls in
    > usenet, perhaps its screwed up because i read this group via a mailing
    > list and thats where its gone wrong? I really dont care enough to actually
    > subscribe to this group via nntp just to find that out.


    Whatever. If you "don't care enough to actually subscribe to this
    group...", then just run along and quit posting to it, doofus.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  2. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well

    On Wed, 28 May 2008, Dan C wrote:

    > Whatever. If you "don't care enough to actually subscribe to this
    > group...", then just run along and quit posting to it, doofus.


    nah, i sub to it via a list which means i dont get any spam or
    many posts from ****head lamers, much simpler.


    --
    Cheers
    Res

    I read usenet and lists in pine. But m$ outlook, thunderbird and gmail
    often use html span/whatever for quotes, makes it hard to tell who said
    what, so I dont try. If I ignore you, thats why! Use a compliant mailer.

  3. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well

    On 2008-05-28, Res wrote:
    >
    > *yawn* and if Pat one day said the earth is straight youd also accept that
    > without trying it out yourself adn seeing wehat ypour result are eh?


    Are you Faux_Pseudo's dumb long-lost brother? Your spelling is
    atrocious.

    Anyway, I don't care about GNOME or KDE, since I use blackbox. I and
    others are merely pointing out that you have repeatedly mistook the
    source of the quote in question, and now are deliberately obfuscating
    that fact in order to hide your misunderstanding.

    If Pat one day said the earth is flat, I wouldn't necessarily believe
    him, because he's not an astronomer. If Pat says building GNOME
    *correctly* is difficult, I believe him, because he's made his career
    building a solid linux distro. And I certainly can't fathom why anyone
    would take your word over his. Have you released your build process?
    Pat has. The third-party GNOME addons have.

    (Speaking of, I have attempted to build components of GNOME myself, and
    it was a huge PITA, but this was on an old version of Slackintosh, not
    the latest Slackware, so one would not be surprised to run into
    problems.)

    > your a ****in tosser keller always have been always will be, and thats
    > one thing that *will* never change


    *sob* You hurt my feelings. Now I really won't run your GNOME builds.
    ;-/

    --keith

    --
    kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
    (try just my userid to email me)
    AOLSFAQ=http://www.therockgarden.ca/aolsfaq.txt
    see X- headers for PGP signature information


  4. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well




    Robby Workman wrote:

    >I can't/won't confirm whether Pat did indeed say that, but...


    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...667821639.html
    http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastruc...02701426NWGNSL


  5. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well




    Robby Workman wrote:

    >I consider one of the third party gnome projects' maintainers in my
    >close circle of friends, and I'm on good terms with most of the others.
    >I'll admit to never having attempted to build gnome from source, either
    >from scratch or using build scripts, so yeah, take this with a grain of
    >salt, but from talking to the aforementioned gnome maintainers, I get
    >the impression that it's far from trivial. It's one thing to take
    >well-written build scripts and a 'build order' type document and churn
    >out packages, but an entirely different breed of cat to build it from
    >the ground up.
    >
    >One can simply look at the lag time between a Slackware release and
    >most of the third-party gnome projects releasing a build compatible
    >with it to get some idea of how much work and time are involved.
    >
    >I do quite a bit of work with kde; in fact, I've 'ported' the build
    >scripts for kde4, and while that was a bit of work, the fact remains
    >that there are generally no "surprises" from one kde release to the
    >next - it's usually a simple of matter of kicking off the main build
    >script and then checking the packages the next morning.


    Golly! First it was Patrick Volkerding who turned out to be a lot stupider
    than "Res", and now Robby Workman and the maintainers of third-party gnome
    projects! Why don't all you stupid idiots just ask the all wise "Res" to use
    his utterly and completely unbelievable skills to do in a couple of minutes
    what it takes you weeks to do? pH33r R3z'z 31337 h4x0R 5kI11z, SuXorZs!!!!


  6. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 18:06:07 +0000, me wrote:

    > Golly! First it was Patrick Volkerding who turned out to be a lot
    > stupider than "Res", and now Robby Workman and the maintainers of
    > third-party gnome projects! Why don't all you stupid idiots just ask
    > the all wise "Res" to use his utterly and completely unbelievable skills
    > to do in a couple of minutes what it takes you weeks to do? pH33r R3z'z
    > 31337 h4x0R 5kI11z, SuXorZs!!!!




  7. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well

    On Wed, 28 May 2008, me@privacy.net wrote:

    >
    > Golly! First it was Patrick Volkerding who turned out to be a lot stupider
    > than "Res", and now Robby Workman and the maintainers of third-party gnome
    > projects! Why don't all you stupid idiots just ask the all wise "Res" to use
    > his utterly and completely unbelievable skills to do in a couple of minutes
    > what it takes you weeks to do? pH33r R3z'z 31337 h4x0R 5kI11z, SuXorZs!!!!


    I'll have time this weekend I need to finish some kernel commits first,
    and I have hard enough time finding time to do that

    (hint: dont assume you know my technical capabilities, because you have no
    ****ing idea who i am, you trolling ****head)


    --
    Cheers
    Res

    I read usenet and lists in pine. But m$ outlook, thunderbird and gmail
    often use html span/whatever for quotes, makes it hard to tell who said
    what, so I dont try. If I ignore you, thats why! Use a compliant mailer.

  8. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well

    On Wed, 28 May 2008, Keith Keller wrote:

    > Are you Faux_Pseudo's dumb long-lost brother? Your spelling is
    > atrocious.


    I've never cared too much about spelling or grammer in usenet, ever, nor
    do i intend to change that.


    > Anyway, I don't care about GNOME or KDE, since I use blackbox. I and
    > others are merely pointing out that you have repeatedly mistook the
    > source of the quote in question, and now are deliberately obfuscating
    > that fact in order to hide your misunderstanding.


    No, as I mentioned to Dan, perhaps the mailing list software has screwed
    it up, I dont know, nor do I care.

    >
    > If Pat one day said the earth is flat, I wouldn't necessarily believe
    > him, because he's not an astronomer. If Pat says building GNOME
    > *correctly* is difficult, I believe him, because he's made his career
    > building a solid linux distro. And I certainly can't fathom why anyone


    uhuh, and that statement was when, 2003? I thought this was 2008? my
    bad If its such a pain, I'm sure the ex-desktop-dominator 'RH' would
    have dumped it years ago as well, and more recently the new desktop-
    domineer "Ubuntu" would never have taken it up and what is known as
    Kubuntu would simply be Ubuntu. Not to mention all the other distros.


    > *sob* You hurt my feelings. Now I really won't run your GNOME builds.
    > ;-/


    awwwww

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    I read usenet and lists in pine. But m$ outlook, thunderbird and gmail
    often use html span/whatever for quotes, makes it hard to tell who said
    what, so I dont try. If I ignore you, thats why! Use a compliant mailer.

  9. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well



    On 29 May 2008, "Res" wrote:
    >
    >On Wed, 28 May 2008, me@privacy.net wrote:
    >
    >> Golly! First it was Patrick Volkerding who turned out to be a lot stupider
    >> than "Res", and now Robby Workman and the maintainers of third-party gnome
    >> projects! Why don't all you stupid idiots just ask the all wise "Res" to use
    >> his utterly and completely unbelievable skills to do in a couple of minutes
    >> what it takes you weeks to do? pH33r R3z'z 31337 h4x0R 5kI11z, SuXorZs!!!!

    >
    >I'll have time this weekend I need to finish some kernel commits first,
    >and I have hard enough time finding time to do that
    >
    >(hint: dont assume you know my technical capabilities, because you have no
    >****ing idea who i am, you trolling ****head)


    I don't know who you are, but I do know what you are.


  10. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well

    Keith Keller wrote:
    >
    > Anyway, I don't care about GNOME or KDE, since I use blackbox. I and


    Do you use any of the bbtools? I'm noticing some of the tools are slowly
    starting to die off. bbsload hasn't compiled since at least 12.0 (haven't
    looked to closely as to why), bbppp (still on dialup) doesn't seem to
    work right anymore. bbdate seems to work just fine. I can't find any sign
    of updates on freshmeat.net (the projects don't seem to exist anymore). I'm
    using pretty old source code - probably from the 8.something days.

    - Kurt

  11. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well

    On 2008-05-29, ~kurt wrote:
    > Keith Keller wrote:
    >>
    >> Anyway, I don't care about GNOME or KDE, since I use blackbox. I and

    >
    > Do you use any of the bbtools? I'm noticing some of the tools are slowly
    > starting to die off. bbsload hasn't compiled since at least 12.0 (haven't
    > looked to closely as to why), bbppp (still on dialup) doesn't seem to
    > work right anymore. bbdate seems to work just fine. I can't find any sign
    > of updates on freshmeat.net (the projects don't seem to exist anymore). I'm
    > using pretty old source code - probably from the 8.something days.
    >
    > - Kurt


    Did you try blackboxwm.sourceforge.net, however, I think blackbox is still
    being developed....fluxbox took off fromwhere bb stopped....

    ken

  12. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well

    On 2008-05-29, No_One wrote:
    > On 2008-05-29, ~kurt wrote:
    >> Keith Keller wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I don't care about GNOME or KDE, since I use blackbox. I and

    >>
    >> Do you use any of the bbtools? I'm noticing some of the tools are slowly
    >> starting to die off. bbsload hasn't compiled since at least 12.0 (haven't
    >> looked to closely as to why), bbppp (still on dialup) doesn't seem to
    >> work right anymore. bbdate seems to work just fine. I can't find any sign
    >> of updates on freshmeat.net (the projects don't seem to exist anymore). I'm
    >> using pretty old source code - probably from the 8.something days.
    >>
    >> - Kurt

    >
    > Did you try blackboxwm.sourceforge.net, however, I think blackbox is still
    > being developed....fluxbox took off fromwhere bb stopped....
    >
    > ken


    I mean I *don't* think its still being developed.....

    ken

  13. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On 2008-05-28, Keith Keller wrote:
    > If Pat one day said the earth is flat, I wouldn't necessarily believe
    > him, because he's not an astronomer. If Pat says building GNOME
    > *correctly* is difficult, I believe him, because he's made his career
    > building a solid linux distro. And I certainly can't fathom why anyone
    > would take your word over his. Have you released your build process?
    > Pat has. The third-party GNOME addons have.



    > (Speaking of, I have attempted to build components of GNOME myself, and
    > it was a huge PITA, but this was on an old version of Slackintosh, not
    > the latest Slackware, so one would not be surprised to run into
    > problems.)


    As have I, but it was some time ago. GNOME 2.0 was a HUGE hassel to
    try to build. I looked into a few others from time to time, mostly for
    dependencies for some application (abiword rings a bell) that I was
    attempting to build. Big mistake. Living without things that depend
    on GNOME was for me a much better option than dealing with GNOME on my
    own. Maintaining that in a distro really has to be a full-time job.
    The documentation is so shoddy as to be worthless. To build it and
    resolve all the dependencies correctly, you basically must wade through
    the mailing lists and go through a lot of hassel.

    > *sob* You hurt my feelings. Now I really won't run your GNOME builds.
    > ;-/



    - --
    It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise,
    Than for a man to hear the song of fools.
    Ecclesiastes 7:5
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

    iEYEARECAAYFAkg+FhYACgkQrZS6hX/gvjpWEwCfRTgrx/hJh6unUMGh1wERIoM/
    uooAn1APVoqD1TrDZHXRyQ/pzu41hqfF
    =AmQA
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  14. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well

    No_One wrote:
    > On 2008-05-29, No_One wrote:
    >>
    >> Did you try blackboxwm.sourceforge.net, however, I think blackbox is still


    Hmm, I'll look around there - thanks.

    >> being developed....fluxbox took off fromwhere bb stopped....
    >>
    >> ken

    >
    > I mean I *don't* think its still being developed.....


    I think you are right about that as I don't remember seeing the version
    number increase in a while. I might try fluxbox again - I just always
    prefered blackbox.

    - Kurt

  15. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well

    On 2008-05-29, ~kurt wrote:
    >
    > Do you use any of the bbtools?


    I use bbkeys, which works fine with my version of blackbox. I don't use
    any others. There hasn't been a release in 2.5 years, though, so next
    time I'd consider moving to fluxbox or openbox.

    --keith

    --
    kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
    (try just my userid to email me)
    AOLSFAQ=http://www.therockgarden.ca/aolsfaq.txt
    see X- headers for PGP signature information


  16. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well

    Dan C wrote:
    > Me too. When Slack dropped Gnome, I used the various third party Gnomes
    > for a while, and then switched to XFCE. Haven't looked back since.


    FULL ACK.

    I'm also using XFCE on all my Slackware boxes. XFCE may easily be
    configured to work for nearly everyone. There are also many plugins that
    may be compiled using SlackBuild files from slackbuilds.org

    CU

    Manuel


  17. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 09:04:04 +1000, Res wrote:

    > If Pat says building GNOME
    >> *correctly* is difficult, I believe him, because he's made his career
    >> building a solid linux distro. And I certainly can't fathom why anyone

    >
    > uhuh, and that statement was when, 2003? I thought this was 2008? my bad
    > If its such a pain, I'm sure the ex-desktop-dominator 'RH' would
    > have dumped it years ago as well, and more recently the new desktop-
    > domineer "Ubuntu" would never have taken it up and what is known as
    > Kubuntu would simply be Ubuntu.

    ^
    |
    /modKot

  18. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well




    On 29 May 2008, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    >Keith Keller wrote:
    >
    >> I have attempted to build components of GNOME myself, and
    >> it was a huge PITA, but this was on an old version of Slackintosh, not
    >> the latest Slackware, so one would not be surprised to run into
    >> problems.)

    >
    >As have I, but it was some time ago. GNOME 2.0 was a HUGE hassel to
    >try to build. I looked into a few others from time to time, mostly for
    >dependencies for some application (abiword rings a bell) that I was
    >attempting to build. Big mistake. Living without things that depend
    >on GNOME was for me a much better option than dealing with GNOME on my
    >own. Maintaining that in a distro really has to be a full-time job.
    >The documentation is so shoddy as to be worthless. To build it and
    >resolve all the dependencies correctly, you basically must wade through
    >the mailing lists and go through a lot of hassel.


    So how come "Res" can do it in a couple of minutes, when +Alan Hicks+,
    Keith Keller, Robby Workman, various maintainers of third-party gnome
    projects and (last but not least) Patrick Volkerding have had so much
    trouble? Why, it's almost as if "Res" was a lying sack of ****!

    (Apologies to sacks of **** everywhere for comparing them to "Res.")


  19. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well

    On 2008-05-29, loki harfagr wrote:

    > /modKot


    Gnome was a piece of crap when Red Hat beta'd it on 5.0 and it's still a piece
    of crap. Besides, who wants some smelly old footprint on their desktop.




    nb

  20. Re: At least one survey Slack scores well

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    [building gnome]
    > So how come "Res" can do it in a couple of minutes, when +Alan Hicks+,
    > Keith Keller, Robby Workman, various maintainers of third-party gnome
    > projects and (last but not least) Patrick Volkerding have had so much
    > trouble?


    oh, but building gnome really *is* very easy. just install garnome and type
    make install. if res really found it so easy, my guess is, that's the way
    he did it...


    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
    EN:SiS(9)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast