help with D-Link dwl-122 - Slackware

This is a discussion on help with D-Link dwl-122 - Slackware ; Hey Guys, I've got a wireless usb dongle I've been using since Slack 10. I just upgraded to 12.1 and apparently linux-wlan-ng does not work with the 2.6.24 kernel. I got internet to work with an old pcmcia card I ...

  1. help with D-Link dwl-122

    Hey Guys,

    I've got a wireless usb dongle I've been using since Slack 10. I just
    upgraded to 12.1 and apparently linux-wlan-ng does not work with the
    2.6.24 kernel. I got internet to work with an old pcmcia card I had
    lying around but I'd like to get the usb working again.

    Here's a line from lsusb

    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 2001:3700 D-Link Corp. [hex] DWL-122 802.11b

    It seems like the hotplug system has changed since the last time I
    looked at it and I'm not sure where to start. I think the device will
    use the orinoco drivers in the kernel.

    any help would be appreciated

  2. Re: help with D-Link dwl-122

    rossi.jeff@gmail.com wrote:
    > Bus 002 Device 003: ID 2001:3700 D-Link Corp. [hex] DWL-122 802.11b

    This is a prism2_usb device, isn't it? If so, just forget about it. It
    does't work anymore with recent kernels and the developement of the
    driver has stopped years ago.

    Martin

  3. Re: help with D-Link dwl-122

    On May 23, 9:06 am, Martin Schmitz wrote:
    > rossi.j...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Bus 002 Device 003: ID 2001:3700 D-Link Corp. [hex] DWL-122 802.11b

    > This is a prism2_usb device, isn't it? If so, just forget about it. It
    > does't work anymore with recent kernels and the developement of the
    > driver has stopped years ago.
    >
    > Martin

    So I should just give up? I've been using this thing for 2 years &
    slack since version 9. I was just a little confused because there's no
    longer a rc.hotplug.

  4. Re: help with D-Link dwl-122

    rossi.jeff@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hey Guys,
    >
    > I've got a wireless usb dongle I've been using since Slack 10. I just
    > upgraded to 12.1 and apparently linux-wlan-ng does not work with the
    > 2.6.24 kernel. I got internet to work with an old pcmcia card I had
    > lying around but I'd like to get the usb working again.
    >
    > Here's a line from lsusb
    >
    > Bus 002 Device 003: ID 2001:3700 D-Link Corp. [hex] DWL-122 802.11b
    >
    > It seems like the hotplug system has changed since the last time I
    > looked at it and I'm not sure where to start. I think the device will
    > use the orinoco drivers in the kernel.
    >
    > any help would be appreciated

    I have this dongle, but I haven't used since slack 9 either. Have you tried
    ndiswrapper? I've used ndiswrapper for another wireless card and it worked
    ok.

  5. Re: help with D-Link dwl-122

    rossi.jeff@gmail.com wrote:
    > On May 23, 9:06 am, Martin Schmitz wrote:
    >> rossi.j...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 2001:3700 D-Link Corp. [hex] DWL-122 802.11b

    >> This is a prism2_usb device, isn't it? If so, just forget about it. It
    >> does't work anymore with recent kernels and the developement of the
    >> driver has stopped years ago.
    >>
    >> Martin

    > So I should just give up? I've been using this thing for 2 years &
    > slack since version 9. I was just a little confused because there's no
    > longer a rc.hotplug.

    Don't give up! Try using a modprobe statement in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to
    load the driver manually. Just out of interest, what driver were you
    using as I may need to set up one of these myself but with a 2.4.x kernel.

    Regards
    Martin Hughes

  6. Re: help with D-Link dwl-122

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 20:21:16 +0100, Martin Hughes wrote:

    > rossi.jeff@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> This is a prism2_usb device, isn't it? If so, just forget about it. It
    >>> does't work anymore with recent kernels and the developement of the
    >>> driver has stopped years ago.

    >> So I should just give up? I've been using this thing for 2 years &
    >> slack since version 9. I was just a little confused because there's no
    >> longer a rc.hotplug.

    > Don't give up! Try using a modprobe statement in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to
    > load the driver manually. Just out of interest, what driver were you
    > using as I may need to set up one of these myself but with a 2.4.x
    > kernel.

    Just in case you do end up giving up, I was pleasantly surprised to see
    that the current incarnation of that stick, the D-Link DWL-G122 Revision
    C1 (an RT2573 chipset) now comes in a new box that has a Tux logo and the
    words "Linux Support" printed on it.

    I have one of these sticks and it works out of the box with Slack 12.1.
    Even at high street rip-off prices they are only about $30, so it may be
    less painful to get a new USB wireless stick than fight old hardware and
    equally old kernels.

+ Reply to Thread