Intel HD Audio - Slackware

This is a discussion on Intel HD Audio - Slackware ; Got a new HP laptop, and have Slack working (mostly) great on it, other than the audio. It works, I do have sound, but it's not as controllable as I'd like. Running 'alsamixer' shows a strange collection of volume sliders, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

  1. Intel HD Audio

    Got a new HP laptop, and have Slack working (mostly) great on it, other
    than the audio. It works, I do have sound, but it's not as controllable
    as I'd like. Running 'alsamixer' shows a strange collection of volume
    sliders, and some don't seem to have any effect. There is also not one
    for the PC speaker volume, which is important to me to have working.

    This is running on the latest custom-compiled kernel (2.6.25.4), with no
    modules (all required stuff enabled in the kernel). Some Googling has
    revealed that I'm not alone with this issue, but haven't seen any real
    solutions. Anybody know any secrets to improve the usability of this
    audio hardware?

    Here's the relevant line from 'lspci' output:
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
    Controller (rev 03)

    TIA.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  2. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:40:47 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > Here's the relevant line from 'lspci' output:
    > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
    > Controller (rev 03)

    Have you checked this?

    http://www.opensound.com/oss.html

  3. Re: Intel HD Audio

    Dan C wrote:
    > Here's the relevant line from 'lspci' output:
    > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
    > Controller (rev 03)

    There are very many flavours of intel hd audio, in fact it could mean
    nearly anything. Have a look at the output from 'aplay -l' and
    'cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | head -1' and use those strings to
    find further information on the web.

    Martin

  4. Re: Intel HD Audio

    Dan C wrote:
    > Got a new HP laptop, and have Slack working (mostly) great on it, other
    > than the audio. It works, I do have sound, but it's not as controllable
    > as I'd like. Running 'alsamixer' shows a strange collection of volume
    > sliders, and some don't seem to have any effect. There is also not one
    > for the PC speaker volume, which is important to me to have working.

    Have you tried running 'aumix' to see if it has any effect? Not a solution,
    but it might provide some hints if it offers more control somehow.

    - Kurt

  5. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 11:36:29 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:40:47 -0500, Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> Here's the relevant line from 'lspci' output:
    >> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
    >> Controller (rev 03)

    > Have you checked this?
    >
    > http://www.opensound.com/oss.html

    Checking that out, thanks.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  6. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 18:51:13 +0200, Martin Schmitz wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >> Here's the relevant line from 'lspci' output:
    >> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
    >> Controller (rev 03)

    > There are very many flavours of intel hd audio, in fact it could mean
    > nearly anything. Have a look at the output from 'aplay -l' and
    > 'cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | head -1' and use those strings to
    > find further information on the web.

    Yeah, that tells me it's using "Realtek ALC268", which so far hasn't been
    much better for finding solutions. Thanks for the input, I'm still
    digging.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  7. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 12:00:43 -0500, ~kurt wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >> Got a new HP laptop, and have Slack working (mostly) great on it, other
    >> than the audio. It works, I do have sound, but it's not as controllable
    >> as I'd like. Running 'alsamixer' shows a strange collection of volume
    >> sliders, and some don't seem to have any effect. There is also not one
    >> for the PC speaker volume, which is important to me to have working.

    > Have you tried running 'aumix' to see if it has any effect? Not a solution,
    > but it might provide some hints if it offers more control somehow.

    OK, that showed me some adjustment sliders, but no breakthroughs.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  8. Re: Intel HD Audio

    Dan C wrote:
    >> There are very many flavours of intel hd audio, in fact it could mean
    >> nearly anything. Have a look at the output from 'aplay -l' and
    >> 'cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | head -1' and use those strings to
    >> find further information on the web.

    > Yeah, that tells me it's using "Realtek ALC268", which so far hasn't
    > been much better for finding solutions. Thanks for the input, I'm
    > still digging.

    I guess you really should build snd-hda-intel as a kernel module because
    this driver does some autoconfiguration at load time. Then you're also
    able to try some parameters when loading the module. I'm quite sure to
    have read in some relevant place that alsa expect it's drivers to be
    loadable modules anyway.

    You also might have a look at
    /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt

    Martin

  9. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:40:47 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > Got a new HP laptop, and have Slack working (mostly) great on it, other
    > than the audio. It works, I do have sound, but it's not as controllable
    > as I'd like. Running 'alsamixer' shows a strange collection of volume
    > sliders, and some don't seem to have any effect.

    That's quite the normal appearance of alsamixer )

    > There is also not one
    > for the PC speaker volume, which is important to me to have working.

    What gives:
    $ amixer | grep -i -A 4 speak

    > This is running on the latest custom-compiled kernel (2.6.25.4), with no
    > modules (all required stuff enabled in the kernel).

    in my experience it was not the best installation to struggle sound
    problems, now I'll admit my experience is not definitive :-) but
    I've had bad times when stuff+AlsaModules were allowing me settings
    that were missing, dead or frozen when with stuff+hugeK.

    > Some Googling has
    > revealed that I'm not alone with this issue, but haven't seen any real
    > solutions. Anybody know any secrets to improve the usability of this
    > audio hardware?
    >
    > Here's the relevant line from 'lspci' output: 00:1b.0 Audio device:
    > Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

    anyway, for that family, check here:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...dule-hda-intel

    and overall, check here to see if you didn't miss a 'mute'
    in some place :-)
    http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...undcardTesting

  10. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 12:23:09 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 May 2008 18:51:13 +0200, Martin Schmitz wrote:
    >
    >> Dan C wrote:
    >>> Here's the relevant line from 'lspci' output: 00:1b.0 Audio device:
    >>> Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

    >> There are very many flavours of intel hd audio, in fact it could mean
    >> nearly anything. Have a look at the output from 'aplay -l' and 'cat
    >> /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | head -1' and use those strings to find
    >> further information on the web.

    > Yeah, that tells me it's using "Realtek ALC268", which so far hasn't
    > been much better for finding solutions. Thanks for the input, I'm still
    > digging.

    Interesting. This is the chipset that led to the most difficulty with
    snd-hda-intel during 2007. There are a lot of variants, and you can see
    the range of problems people had with them by checking the Ubuntu forums
    (for example).

    One of my laptops also has this chipset, and it's working perfectly under
    Ubuntu 8.04 and Mandriva 2008.1, both of which use PulseAudio for sound.
    Even the headphone connection (previously problematic) is handled
    correctly under these setups. I have not yet tried Slack 12.1 on that
    machine.

    So I'd suggest that you boot one of those livecds to check out the sound
    setup. And maybe consider PulseAudio, even.

  11. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On 2008-05-18, Dan C wrote:
    > Got a new HP laptop, and have Slack working (mostly) great on it, other
    > than the audio. It works, I do have sound, but it's not as controllable
    > as I'd like. Running 'alsamixer' shows a strange collection of volume
    > sliders, and some don't seem to have any effect. There is also not one
    > for the PC speaker volume, which is important to me to have working.
    >
    > This is running on the latest custom-compiled kernel (2.6.25.4), with no
    > modules (all required stuff enabled in the kernel). Some Googling has
    > revealed that I'm not alone with this issue, but haven't seen any real
    > solutions. Anybody know any secrets to improve the usability of this
    > audio hardware?
    >
    > Here's the relevant line from 'lspci' output:
    > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
    > Controller (rev 03)

    I seem to remember some thread on LKML indicating that some (or all?)
    of those were broken on 2.6.25, but maybe I'm thinking about 2.6.26rc*
    or some such.

    I'm also having recollection of some parameter needed to be passed to
    the kernel or to the module specifying which type of Intel HD card
    you have, but again, I may be imagining that. It's hard to keep all
    the stuff straight in my head at this point :/

    -RW

  12. Re: Intel HD Audio

    Robby Workman wrote:

    > I'm also having recollection of some parameter needed to be passed to
    > the kernel or to the module specifying which type of Intel HD card
    > you have, but again, I may be imagining that. It's hard to keep all
    > the stuff straight in my head at this point :/

    You're right. The module parameters are listed in
    Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-configuration.txt. They depend not only
    on the chipset but what model of computer you've got the chipset in,
    just to make it extra confusing.

  13. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 19:46:35 +0200, Martin Schmitz wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >>> There are very many flavours of intel hd audio, in fact it could mean
    >>> nearly anything. Have a look at the output from 'aplay -l' and
    >>> 'cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | head -1' and use those strings to
    >>> find further information on the web.

    >> Yeah, that tells me it's using "Realtek ALC268", which so far hasn't
    >> been much better for finding solutions. Thanks for the input, I'm
    >> still digging.

    > I guess you really should build snd-hda-intel as a kernel module because
    > this driver does some autoconfiguration at load time. Then you're also
    > able to try some parameters when loading the module. I'm quite sure to
    > have read in some relevant place that alsa expect it's drivers to be
    > loadable modules anyway.

    Yes, I'm going to try it as a module, to be able to pass a parameter to it
    (a "model" if I can figure out which one). It does work as a kernel
    built-in, just doesn't have all the features I'm used to with other sound
    chips.

    > You also might have a look at
    > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt

    Thanks.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  14. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 19:59:10 +0200, Mark Madsen wrote:

    >> Yeah, that tells me it's using "Realtek ALC268", which so far hasn't
    >> been much better for finding solutions. Thanks for the input, I'm still
    >> digging.

    > Interesting. This is the chipset that led to the most difficulty with
    > snd-hda-intel during 2007. There are a lot of variants, and you can see
    > the range of problems people had with them by checking the Ubuntu forums
    > (for example).
    >
    > One of my laptops also has this chipset, and it's working perfectly under
    > Ubuntu 8.04 and Mandriva 2008.1, both of which use PulseAudio for sound.
    > Even the headphone connection (previously problematic) is handled
    > correctly under these setups. I have not yet tried Slack 12.1 on that
    > machine.
    >
    > So I'd suggest that you boot one of those livecds to check out the sound
    > setup. And maybe consider PulseAudio, even.

    Will do, thanks.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  15. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 17:49:28 +0000, loki harfagr wrote:

    >> There is also not one
    >> for the PC speaker volume, which is important to me to have working.

    > What gives:
    > $ amixer | grep -i -A 4 speak

    Nothing. No output. I guess this sound hardware doesn't support a volume
    control for the speaker. Bummer.

    >> This is running on the latest custom-compiled kernel (2.6.25.4), with
    >> no modules (all required stuff enabled in the kernel).

    > in my experience it was not the best installation to struggle sound
    > problems, now I'll admit my experience is not definitive :-) but I've
    > had bad times when stuff+AlsaModules were allowing me settings that were
    > missing, dead or frozen when with stuff+hugeK.

    Yes, going to try things as modules.

    Thanks.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  16. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 18:40:40 +0000, Robby Workman wrote:

    >> Here's the relevant line from 'lspci' output:
    >> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
    >> Controller (rev 03)

    > I seem to remember some thread on LKML indicating that some (or all?)
    > of those were broken on 2.6.25, but maybe I'm thinking about 2.6.26rc*
    > or some such.

    Well, it is working, just doesn't seem very complete.

    > I'm also having recollection of some parameter needed to be passed to
    > the kernel or to the module specifying which type of Intel HD card
    > you have, but again, I may be imagining that. It's hard to keep all
    > the stuff straight in my head at this point :/

    Looking in to that approach now. Thanks for the reply.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  17. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:40:47 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    >Got a new HP laptop, and have Slack working (mostly) great on it, other
    >than the audio. It works, I do have sound, but it's not as controllable
    >as I'd like. Running 'alsamixer' shows a strange collection of volume
    >sliders, and some don't seem to have any effect. There is also not one
    >for the PC speaker volume, which is important to me to have working.
    >
    >This is running on the latest custom-compiled kernel (2.6.25.4), with no
    >modules (all required stuff enabled in the kernel). Some Googling has
    >revealed that I'm not alone with this issue, but haven't seen any real
    >solutions. Anybody know any secrets to improve the usability of this
    >audio hardware?
    >
    >Here's the relevant line from 'lspci' output:
    >00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
    >Controller (rev 03)

    I have ICH8, you also need to select which codec chip, for me like so:

    2.6.25.4: Device Drivers -> Sound -> ALSA -> PCI devices
    < > ForteMedia FM801
    Intel HD Audio
    [ ] Build hwdep interface for HD-audio driver (NEW)
    [ ] Build Realtek HD-audio codec support
    [ ] Build Analog Device HD-audio codec support[*] Build IDT/Sigmatel HD-audio codec support
    [ ] Build VIA HD-audio codec support
    [ ] Build ATI HDMI HD-audio codec support
    [ ] Build Conexant HD-audio codec support
    [ ] Build C-Media HD-audio codec support
    [ ] Build Silicon Labs 3054 HD-modem codec support
    [ ] Enable generic HD-audio codec parser
    [ ] Aggressive power-saving on HD-audio (NEW)
    < > RME Hammerfall DSP Audio

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  18. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 06:52:55 +1000, Grant wrote:

    >>Here's the relevant line from 'lspci' output:
    >>00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
    >>Controller (rev 03)

    > I have ICH8, you also need to select which codec chip, for me like so:
    >
    > 2.6.25.4: Device Drivers -> Sound -> ALSA -> PCI devices
    > < > ForteMedia FM801
    > Intel HD Audio
    > [ ] Build hwdep interface for HD-audio driver (NEW)
    > [ ] Build Realtek HD-audio codec support
    > [ ] Build Analog Device HD-audio codec support
    >[*] Build IDT/Sigmatel HD-audio codec support
    > [ ] Build VIA HD-audio codec support
    > [ ] Build ATI HDMI HD-audio codec support
    > [ ] Build Conexant HD-audio codec support
    > [ ] Build C-Media HD-audio codec support
    > [ ] Build Silicon Labs 3054 HD-modem codec support
    > [ ] Enable generic HD-audio codec parser
    > [ ] Aggressive power-saving on HD-audio (NEW)
    > < > RME Hammerfall DSP Audio

    Yes, I did select the one I have (Realtek). In fact I selected all the
    codecs just for good measure. The sound is working, it just doesn't have
    all the controls/sliders (in alsamixer) that I'm used to seeing with other
    sound hardware. Also there isn't a slider for controlling the "pc
    speaker", which is annoying. I use that for various sounds to alert me to
    things (messages on IRC and so on).

    Thanks for the reply.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  19. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 19:44:04 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > I did select the one I have (Realtek). In fact I selected all the
    > codecs just for good measure. The sound is working, it just doesn't
    > have all the controls/sliders (in alsamixer) that I'm used to seeing
    > with other sound hardware. Also there isn't a slider for controlling
    > the "pc speaker", which is annoying. I use that for various sounds to
    > alert me to things (messages on IRC and so on).

    Reading what you wrote again, it just came back to me that the choice of
    sliders you get in alsamixer for the snd-hda-intel device depends on the
    options you pass to the module when it's loaded.

    So you might want to build this as a module and try experimenting with
    the load parameters. I'm not at a Slackware box to check right now, but
    Debian-type systems have the module options set in

    /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

    for example. A typical entry looks like

    options snd-hda-intel options=3stack-6ch

    and the list of available options is all given for each driver and sound
    chip combination in the full alsa documentation. You may even find that
    hp-laptop is an option, but my memory is sadly imperfect and I don't have
    the docs right now.

  20. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 06:42:32 +0200, Mark Madsen wrote:

    > Reading what you wrote again, it just came back to me that the choice of
    > sliders you get in alsamixer for the snd-hda-intel device depends on the
    > options you pass to the module when it's loaded.
    >
    > So you might want to build this as a module and try experimenting with
    > the load parameters. I'm not at a Slackware box to check right now, but
    > Debian-type systems have the module options set in
    >
    > /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    >
    > for example. A typical entry looks like
    > options snd-hda-intel options=3stack-6ch
    >
    > and the list of available options is all given for each driver and sound
    > chip combination in the full alsa documentation. You may even find that
    > hp-laptop is an option, but my memory is sadly imperfect and I don't have
    > the docs right now.

    Excellent, I'll look into that. Thanks again.