Intel HD Audio - Slackware

This is a discussion on Intel HD Audio - Slackware ; On 2008-05-18, Dan C wrote: > On Sun, 18 May 2008 12:00:43 -0500, ~kurt wrote: > >> Dan C wrote: >>> Got a new HP laptop, and have Slack working (mostly) great on it, other >>> than the audio. It ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: Intel HD Audio

  1. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On 2008-05-18, Dan C wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 May 2008 12:00:43 -0500, ~kurt wrote:
    >
    >> Dan C wrote:
    >>> Got a new HP laptop, and have Slack working (mostly) great on it, other
    >>> than the audio. It works, I do have sound, but it's not as controllable
    >>> as I'd like. Running 'alsamixer' shows a strange collection of volume
    >>> sliders, and some don't seem to have any effect. There is also not one
    >>> for the PC speaker volume, which is important to me to have working.

    >
    >> Have you tried running 'aumix' to see if it has any effect? Not a solution,
    >> but it might provide some hints if it offers more control somehow.

    >
    > OK, that showed me some adjustment sliders, but no breakthroughs.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.


    I've also got that $#$!&^%! POS excuse for a sound card in a Dell D620
    (but ask me later how I really feel) although mine has a SigmaTel
    STAC9200 codec in it.

    The current driver for it, believe it or not, is a lot better than it
    was 2 years ago. (I'm now running Slack 12.1.)

    I know what you are saying about the sliders that do nothing. In this
    case, I have found kmix to be very useful; sadly, my old and trusty
    aumix is totally confused, and alsamixer is fairly confused as well.
    By using a combination of the alsamixer and kmix controls, I can
    usually get the &^!#!@! card to do what I like. Well, ignoring
    quality issues, anyway. (Try doing a stereo recording of a mono
    source plugged in to the mic jack using a mono-stereo converter, and
    then see if your left channel looks anything like your right channel.
    Mine don't, one channel is horribly clipped on the negative side of
    the waveform.)

    I've been pretty happy with most of the Intel components (two wireless
    cards, other sound cards, even some of their video cards) but this one
    has caused me a lot of headaches.

    Normally, I'd say "cheers" at this point, but "good luck, you'll need
    it" seems more appropriate.

    Jim

  2. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 11:35:30 -0300, Jim Diamond wrote:

    > I've also got that $#$!&^%! POS excuse for a sound card in a Dell D620
    > (but ask me later how I really feel) although mine has a SigmaTel
    > STAC9200 codec in it.
    >
    > The current driver for it, believe it or not, is a lot better than it
    > was 2 years ago. (I'm now running Slack 12.1.)
    >
    > I know what you are saying about the sliders that do nothing. In this
    > case, I have found kmix to be very useful; sadly, my old and trusty
    > aumix is totally confused, and alsamixer is fairly confused as well.
    > By using a combination of the alsamixer and kmix controls, I can
    > usually get the &^!#!@! card to do what I like. Well, ignoring
    > quality issues, anyway. (Try doing a stereo recording of a mono
    > source plugged in to the mic jack using a mono-stereo converter, and
    > then see if your left channel looks anything like your right channel.
    > Mine don't, one channel is horribly clipped on the negative side of
    > the waveform.)
    >
    > I've been pretty happy with most of the Intel components (two wireless
    > cards, other sound cards, even some of their video cards) but this one
    > has caused me a lot of headaches.
    >
    > Normally, I'd say "cheers" at this point, but "good luck, you'll need
    > it" seems more appropriate.


    Yeah, it sure does seem like it's indeed a POS sound system. Nice laptop
    other than this.

    I spent the entire morning trying various things. Recompiled the kernel
    (several times) to use modules instead of built-in, and was able to use
    different "model" parameters passed to the module (via modprobe). This
    got me various versions of sliders in alsamixer, including one model that
    actually had a "speaker" control, but that speaker slider had no effect on
    anything. Testing gave poor results, such as no sound whatsoever when
    viewing online videos (from CNN website). Also get no sound at all when
    playing an audio CD. Eventually I've gone back to having ALSA built-in to
    the kernel, as that method at least gives me sound in the above mentioned
    videos, but still no CD audio.

    I'm gonna leave it alone for now. Not a huge problem as I don't really
    use this laptop for multimedia stuff anyway. Sure wish they'd put a
    better sound system in it, but oh well.

    Thanks for the input.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  3. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 08:18:13 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    >> So you might want to build this as a module and try experimenting with
    >> the load parameters. I'm not at a Slackware box to check right now, but
    >> Debian-type systems have the module options set in
    >>
    >> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    >>
    >> for example. A typical entry looks like
    >> options snd-hda-intel options=3stack-6ch
    >>
    >> and the list of available options is all given for each driver and sound
    >> chip combination in the full alsa documentation. You may even find that
    >> hp-laptop is an option, but my memory is sadly imperfect and I don't have
    >> the docs right now.


    > Excellent, I'll look into that. Thanks again.


    Spent the entire morning experimenting with this, and got nowhere (see
    other post I made this morning). I've gone back to the built-in-kernel
    ALSA, which gives me at least some sound. Looks like this lappy has a
    poor choice of sound hardware for Linux.



    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  4. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:55:13 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    >>> for example. A typical entry looks like options snd-hda-intel
    >>> options=3stack-6ch
    >>>
    >>> and the list of available options is all given for each driver and
    >>> sound chip combination in the full alsa documentation. You may even
    >>> find that hp-laptop is an option, but my memory is sadly imperfect and
    >>> I don't have the docs right now.

    >
    >> Excellent, I'll look into that. Thanks again.

    >
    > Spent the entire morning experimenting with this, and got nowhere (see
    > other post I made this morning). I've gone back to the built-in-kernel
    > ALSA, which gives me at least some sound. Looks like this lappy has a
    > poor choice of sound hardware for Linux.


    Sorry to hear you've had no luck so far :-(

    My final suggestion would be taking a look at pulseaudio, because the
    laptop I have which is afflicted with the same sound chip works pretty
    well under pulseaudio in both Ubuntu and Mandriva One 2008.1.

  5. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:55:13 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > Spent the entire morning experimenting with this, and got nowhere (see
    > other post I made this morning). I've gone back to the built-in-kernel
    > ALSA, which gives me at least some sound. Looks like this lappy has a
    > poor choice of sound hardware for Linux.


    Well, to followup on my own post.... I decided that the sound issue with
    that HP laptop (model dv6885se) was a big enough problem that I returned
    it for a refund (minus the 15% "restocking" fee, the bastards). Been
    doing some researching on another laptop to buy, and it's not looking
    good. Virtually everything I see uses this damn "Intel HD Audio" sound
    chip, with variations on codecs used. Extremely hard to know (guess)
    which one might work properly.

    I got somewhat enthused over a Dell model that advertised "Sound Blaster
    Audigy HD Software Edition", as I know that Audigy works very well with
    Linux. Further investigation revealed that was a bull**** marketing ploy,
    with the actual hardware unknown (but likely "Intel HD Audio") packaged
    with Creative Labs software for improved "sound effects".

    I'm quite at a loss here as to what I should get. Anyone got any
    recommendations? My basic requirements are: Nvidia graphics (dedicated),
    Core2Duo CPU, 3-4 GB ram, 15.4" screen, CD/DVD burner, reasonable HD size,
    and Linux-compatible sound (Sound Blaster/Audigy would be excellent). I
    will NOT buy anything with an AMD CPU or ATI graphics. Suggestions?

    Thanks.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  6. Re: Intel HD Audio

    In an.2008.05.22.03.19.26.426241@moria2.lan>,
    Dan C wrote:

    > Been doing some researching on another laptop to buy, and it's not looking
    > good. Virtually everything I see uses this damn "Intel HD Audio"
    > sound chip, with variations on codecs used. Extremely hard to know
    > (guess) which one might work properly.


    > I'm quite at a loss here as to what I should get. Anyone got any
    > recommendations? My basic requirements are: Nvidia graphics
    > (dedicated), Core2Duo CPU, 3-4 GB ram, 15.4" screen, CD/DVD burner,
    > reasonable HD size, and Linux-compatible sound (Sound Blaster/Audigy
    > would be excellent). I will NOT buy anything with an AMD CPU or ATI
    > graphics. Suggestions?


    I've had good luck with two Sony Vaios. The current one is an fz190.
    I think one could be configured with all your requirements. I only got
    1 GiB ram, and the hdd is 100 GB. The sound /is/ intel_hda, but the
    alsa drivers have worked well with it, once I use model=sony. There
    was an issue with sound continuing to play through the speakers even
    though headphones were plugged in, but this was fixed by an alsa
    update sometime last year. (That said, I guess there's no way to know
    what chipset the Intel HD sound really is or whether it will be ok
    without trying it. :/ )

    --
    »Q«
    Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.


  7. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 22:19:27 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > Well, to followup on my own post.... I decided that the sound issue
    > with that HP laptop (model dv6885se) was a big enough problem that I
    > returned it for a refund (minus the 15% "restocking" fee, the bastards).


    :-( :-( :-(

    > Been doing some researching on another laptop to buy, and it's not
    > looking good. Virtually everything I see uses this damn "Intel HD
    > Audio" sound chip, with variations on codecs used. Extremely hard to
    > know (guess) which one might work properly.


    A suggestion: look at the sites of places that sell portables with Linux
    pre-installed, and check out which models they are providing.

    Also, there is always the possibility (small, admittedly, but non-zero)
    that a local retailer will let you test-drive their machines with a
    liveCD which will at least let you (a) know whether things are working,
    and (b) check out what hardware is really onboard using lspci and lsusb.

    Recent liveCDs like Ubuntu 8.04 and Mandriva One 2008 Spring would be my
    own choices for the purpose, although I'd consider Slax very seriously as
    well. Take some .ogg files on a USB key to check the sound as well, it's
    worth knowing what the onboard speakers sound like. And some headphones
    to check the jack sensing works too.

  8. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 01:50:54 -0500, »Q« wrote:

    >> recommendations? My basic requirements are: Nvidia graphics
    >> (dedicated), Core2Duo CPU, 3-4 GB ram, 15.4" screen, CD/DVD burner,
    >> reasonable HD size, and Linux-compatible sound (Sound Blaster/Audigy
    >> would be excellent). I will NOT buy anything with an AMD CPU or ATI
    >> graphics. Suggestions?


    > I've had good luck with two Sony Vaios. The current one is an fz190.
    > I think one could be configured with all your requirements. I only got
    > 1 GiB ram, and the hdd is 100 GB. The sound /is/ intel_hda, but the
    > alsa drivers have worked well with it, once I use model=sony. There
    > was an issue with sound continuing to play through the speakers even
    > though headphones were plugged in, but this was fixed by an alsa
    > update sometime last year. (That said, I guess there's no way to know
    > what chipset the Intel HD sound really is or whether it will be ok
    > without trying it. :/ )


    Thanks for that. I've actually been looking hard at the Sony's (online),
    and am planning to look at one in person (at Best Buy) hopefully today.
    The FZ4000 model looks to be just what I'm looking for, although of course
    they don't specify what sound hardware it's got. It's encouraging that
    you had yours working, at least. Appreciate the input.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  9. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:28:23 +0200, Mark Madsen wrote:

    >> Been doing some researching on another laptop to buy, and it's not
    >> looking good. Virtually everything I see uses this damn "Intel HD
    >> Audio" sound chip, with variations on codecs used. Extremely hard to
    >> know (guess) which one might work properly.


    > A suggestion: look at the sites of places that sell portables with Linux
    > pre-installed, and check out which models they are providing.


    Good idea, I'll do that.

    > Also, there is always the possibility (small, admittedly, but non-zero)
    > that a local retailer will let you test-drive their machines with a
    > liveCD which will at least let you (a) know whether things are working,
    > and (b) check out what hardware is really onboard using lspci and lsusb.
    >
    > Recent liveCDs like Ubuntu 8.04 and Mandriva One 2008 Spring would be my
    > own choices for the purpose, although I'd consider Slax very seriously as
    > well. Take some .ogg files on a USB key to check the sound as well, it's
    > worth knowing what the onboard speakers sound like. And some headphones
    > to check the jack sensing works too.


    Another good one. Thanks.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  10. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:06:39 -0500
    Dan C wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 01:50:54 -0500, »Q« wrote:
    >
    > >> recommendations? My basic requirements are: Nvidia graphics
    > >> (dedicated), Core2Duo CPU, 3-4 GB ram, 15.4" screen, CD/DVD burner,
    > >> reasonable HD size, and Linux-compatible sound (Sound
    > >> Blaster/Audigy would be excellent). I will NOT buy anything with
    > >> an AMD CPU or ATI graphics. Suggestions?

    >
    > > I've had good luck with two Sony Vaios. The current one is an
    > > fz190. I think one could be configured with all your requirements.
    > > I only got 1 GiB ram, and the hdd is 100 GB. The sound /is/
    > > intel_hda, but the alsa drivers have worked well with it, once I
    > > use model=sony. There was an issue with sound continuing to play
    > > through the speakers even though headphones were plugged in, but
    > > this was fixed by an alsa update sometime last year. (That said, I
    > > guess there's no way to know what chipset the Intel HD sound really
    > > is or whether it will be ok without trying it. :/ )

    >
    > Thanks for that. I've actually been looking hard at the Sony's
    > (online), and am planning to look at one in person (at Best Buy)
    > hopefully today. The FZ4000 model looks to be just what I'm looking
    > for, although of course they don't specify what sound hardware it's
    > got. It's encouraging that you had yours working, at least.
    > Appreciate the input.


    I didn't have this info in front of me when posting that, but FWIW,
    the chipset in the fz190 is SigmaTel STAC9872AK. Looking for
    strangeness in alsamizer, I only note that there are not separate
    sliders for left and right volume -- I'd never noticed that, as I
    never wanted different levels for them. I should also note that I've
    never tried the mic jack, though its setting shows up fine in
    alsamixer.


  11. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:01:16 -0500, »Q« wrote:

    >> Thanks for that. I've actually been looking hard at the Sony's
    >> (online), and am planning to look at one in person (at Best Buy)
    >> hopefully today. The FZ4000 model looks to be just what I'm looking
    >> for, although of course they don't specify what sound hardware it's
    >> got. It's encouraging that you had yours working, at least.
    >> Appreciate the input.


    > I didn't have this info in front of me when posting that, but FWIW,
    > the chipset in the fz190 is SigmaTel STAC9872AK. Looking for
    > strangeness in alsamizer, I only note that there are not separate
    > sliders for left and right volume -- I'd never noticed that, as I
    > never wanted different levels for them. I should also note that I've
    > never tried the mic jack, though its setting shows up fine in
    > alsamixer.


    Cool. I ordered a customized FZ4000 today, and some other digging has
    suggested that it does have some variation of the SigmaTel. Hopefully
    it'll work properly, and if not, will probably in a few months as the
    kernel and ALSA catch up. Looking forward to getting this thing going,
    and will report back on the results. Thanks.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  12. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On 2008-05-22, Dan C wrote:

    > I'm quite at a loss here as to what I should get. Anyone got any
    > recommendations? My basic requirements are: Nvidia graphics (dedicated),
    > Core2Duo CPU, 3-4 GB ram, 15.4" screen, CD/DVD burner, reasonable HD size,
    > and Linux-compatible sound (Sound Blaster/Audigy would be excellent). I
    > will NOT buy anything with an AMD CPU or ATI graphics. Suggestions?



    IME, it's hard to go wrong with a Thinkpad.
    I've got one, Eric's got one, Fred's got one, and for whatever extra
    it might be worth, the OpenBSD devel team seems to like them too.

    -RW

  13. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 03:48:57 +0000, Robby Workman wrote:

    >> I'm quite at a loss here as to what I should get. Anyone got any
    >> recommendations? My basic requirements are: Nvidia graphics (dedicated),
    >> Core2Duo CPU, 3-4 GB ram, 15.4" screen, CD/DVD burner, reasonable HD size,
    >> and Linux-compatible sound (Sound Blaster/Audigy would be excellent). I
    >> will NOT buy anything with an AMD CPU or ATI graphics. Suggestions?


    > IME, it's hard to go wrong with a Thinkpad.
    > I've got one, Eric's got one, Fred's got one, and for whatever extra
    > it might be worth, the OpenBSD devel team seems to like them too.


    Thanks. I ordered a Sony Vaio yesterday and hopefully it'll be fine.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  14. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 08:12:53 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    >>> I'm quite at a loss here as to what I should get. Anyone got any
    >>> recommendations? My basic requirements are: Nvidia graphics (dedicated),
    >>> Core2Duo CPU, 3-4 GB ram, 15.4" screen, CD/DVD burner, reasonable HD size,
    >>> and Linux-compatible sound (Sound Blaster/Audigy would be excellent). I
    >>> will NOT buy anything with an AMD CPU or ATI graphics. Suggestions?


    >> IME, it's hard to go wrong with a Thinkpad.
    >> I've got one, Eric's got one, Fred's got one, and for whatever extra
    >> it might be worth, the OpenBSD devel team seems to like them too.


    > Thanks. I ordered a Sony Vaio yesterday and hopefully it'll be fine.


    Just a followup..... I am pretty happy with the Sony Vaio (model
    VGN-FZ4000) that I got. It does have pretty much the same issues with the
    damn Intel HD Audio hardware that I had previously. This one uses the
    SigmaTel STAC9872AK codec, and works for things like MP3 playing and
    online video sound. It does not, however, work at all for playing audio
    CD's. No sound output whatsoever. I've tried passing various "model="
    parameters to the module at load time, and I get various combinations of
    sliders in alsamixer by doing that, but none of them show a "CD" slider,
    which I suspect is muted. Also this laptop doesn't appear to have a
    "pcspkr" beeper, which I would like to have. Anyway, gonna live with it
    for now, and hoping that ALSA will eventually support this codec better.

    Another item not working is the built-in webcam. It's apparently made by
    Ricoh, and has USB device ID: 05ca:183b , which supposedly uses the
    "r5u870" driver. When I attempt to compile that driver, it fails with no
    useful information as to why (just the usual "error 2:" or whatever). Has
    anyone had any luck with this webcam/driver, or know where I could get the
    module already compiled? Haven't been able to find it other than in
    source form. Thanks for any info on that.

    Other issues include non-working "secondary" function keys (like screen
    brightness up/down, sound mute, scroll lock keys), and the battery life is
    not the greatest (about 2 hours).

    On the plus side, this laptop's screen is outstanding, and I like the
    keyboard. Very fast and seems stable.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  15. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:43:16 -0500
    Dan C wrote:

    > Just a followup..... I am pretty happy with the Sony Vaio (model
    > VGN-FZ4000) that I got. It does have pretty much the same issues
    > with the damn Intel HD Audio hardware that I had previously. This
    > one uses the SigmaTel STAC9872AK codec, and works for things like MP3
    > playing and online video sound. It does not, however, work at all
    > for playing audio CD's. No sound output whatsoever. I've tried
    > passing various "model=" parameters to the module at load time, and I
    > get various combinations of sliders in alsamixer by doing that, but
    > none of them show a "CD" slider, which I suspect is muted.


    CD sound works for me. But I've got Gentoo on the laptop with
    STAC9872AK, a VAIO FZ190, so I don't know if this will be any help.
    I'm using the out-of-tree alsa driver, v 1.0.16, passing these options
    to the module:

    options snd_hda_intel model=vaio position_fix=1

    I don't remember why I was tinkering with position_fix options.

    > Also this laptop doesn't appear to have a "pcspkr" beeper, which I would like
    > to have.


    I think none of the VAIO laptops do.

    > Anyway, gonna live with it for now, and hoping that ALSA
    > will eventually support this codec better.
    >
    > Another item not working is the built-in webcam. It's apparently
    > made by Ricoh, and has USB device ID: 05ca:183b , which supposedly
    > uses the "r5u870" driver. When I attempt to compile that driver, it
    > fails with no useful information as to why (just the usual "error 2:"
    > or whatever). Has anyone had any luck with this webcam/driver, or
    > know where I could get the module already compiled? Haven't been
    > able to find it other than in source form. Thanks for any info on
    > that.


    Ugh, I should have mentioned that before you bought. I don't want the
    webcam, so I forget it's even there. AFAIK, no one has gotten the
    Ricoh webcams in Vaios to work, but it's been a while since I had a
    look for that. Um, good luck.

    > Other issues include non-working "secondary" function keys (like
    > screen brightness up/down, sound mute, scroll lock keys), and the
    > battery life is not the greatest (about 2 hours).



    is the place to look. It appears there may be some help for the webcam
    there now. I got some stuff working on an older Vaio laptop with the
    old sonypid device, but it's a crapshoot. I haven't bothered with it
    with this one.

    IIRC, you got one with an nVidia chipset, and I think the
    nvidia-settings app is the only way to control the brightness.

  16. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:05:51 -0500, »Q« wrote:

    >> Just a followup..... I am pretty happy with the Sony Vaio (model
    >> VGN-FZ4000) that I got. It does have pretty much the same issues
    >> with the damn Intel HD Audio hardware that I had previously. This
    >> one uses the SigmaTel STAC9872AK codec, and works for things like MP3
    >> playing and online video sound. It does not, however, work at all
    >> for playing audio CD's. No sound output whatsoever. I've tried
    >> passing various "model=" parameters to the module at load time, and I
    >> get various combinations of sliders in alsamixer by doing that, but
    >> none of them show a "CD" slider, which I suspect is muted.


    > CD sound works for me. But I've got Gentoo on the laptop with
    > STAC9872AK, a VAIO FZ190, so I don't know if this will be any help.
    > I'm using the out-of-tree alsa driver, v 1.0.16, passing these options
    > to the module:
    >
    > options snd_hda_intel model=vaio position_fix=1
    >
    > I don't remember why I was tinkering with position_fix options.


    I remember reading something about that option, and am going to dig back
    into it when I find some motivation... I'm using whatever alsa driver is
    built into the kernel, might still be a 1.0.15 version. Hmmm...

    >> Also this laptop doesn't appear to have a "pcspkr" beeper, which I would like
    >> to have.


    > I think none of the VAIO laptops do.


    Yeah, kinda sucks if you're used to having one.

    >> Another item not working is the built-in webcam. It's apparently
    >> made by Ricoh, and has USB device ID: 05ca:183b , which supposedly
    >> uses the "r5u870" driver. When I attempt to compile that driver, it
    >> fails with no useful information as to why (just the usual "error 2:"
    >> or whatever). Has anyone had any luck with this webcam/driver, or
    >> know where I could get the module already compiled? Haven't been
    >> able to find it other than in source form. Thanks for any info on
    >> that.


    > Ugh, I should have mentioned that before you bought. I don't want the
    > webcam, so I forget it's even there. AFAIK, no one has gotten the
    > Ricoh webcams in Vaios to work, but it's been a while since I had a
    > look for that. Um, good luck.


    Googling has turned up some (apparent) success by people using Ubuntu,
    so there may be hope. Might even install that to have a look at how it's
    set up.

    >> Other issues include non-working "secondary" function keys (like
    >> screen brightness up/down, sound mute, scroll lock keys), and the
    >> battery life is not the greatest (about 2 hours).


    >
    > is the place to look. It appears there may be some help for the webcam
    > there now. I got some stuff working on an older Vaio laptop with the
    > old sonypid device, but it's a crapshoot. I haven't bothered with it
    > with this one.


    Yes, I have enabled the "sony_laptop" and "sonypi" options in my custom
    kernel, but they don't seem to do any good. Not a huge problem, just kind
    of irritating. Gonna give it another go once I find that aforementioned
    motivation...

    > IIRC, you got one with an nVidia chipset, and I think the
    > nvidia-settings app is the only way to control the brightness.


    Yes, I have the 8400M GT video, and using the latest driver from Nvidia.
    The nvidia-settings app works well to control the brightness, which I
    found *WAY* too bright by default. Looks good now, though.

    Thanks for the reply and info.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  17. Re: Intel HD Audio

    Dan C (for Cretin)wrote:

    >> Thanks. I ordered a Sony Vaio yesterday and hopefully it'll be fine.

    >
    > Just a followup..... It does have pretty much the same issues with the
    > damn Intel HD Audio hardware that I had previously. ...


    > It does not, however, work at all for playing audio
    > CD's. No sound output whatsoever.
    >
    > Another item not working is the built-in webcam.
    >
    > Other issues include non-working "secondary" function keys (like screen
    > brightness up/down, sound mute, scroll lock keys), and the battery life is
    > not the greatest (about 2 hours).
    >


    So, apart from the sound disaster, the non-working webcam, the
    half-crippled keyboard and the ****ty battery capacity, you're "pretty
    happy", eh?

    A basic noob error.

    You should have - in the recommended linux fashion - checked the
    compatibility lists, moseyed on down to the swap-meet armed with a list
    of supported hardware, found the bald, bearded fat-guy and from him
    purchased a 'vintage' computer, circa 1996.

    With kind regards

    Chu

  18. Re: Intel HD Audio

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 22:58:58 +0800, ChuMaiFat wrote:

    > So, apart from the sound disaster, the non-working webcam, the
    > half-crippled keyboard and the ****ty battery capacity, you're "pretty
    > happy", eh?


    Yup.

    > You should have - in the recommended linux fashion - checked the
    > compatibility lists, moseyed on down to the swap-meet armed with a list
    > of supported hardware, found the bald, bearded fat-guy and from him
    > purchased a 'vintage' computer, circa 1996.


    If I wanted a piece of junk like that, I would have just kept using the
    circa 2001 HP lappy I was using. The whole purpose of the upgrade was to
    get something faster and more capable.

    Bugger off, Win-troll.



    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  19. Re: Intel HD Audio

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 22:58:58 +0800, ChuMaiFat wrote:
    >


    > If I wanted a piece of junk like that, I would have just kept using the
    > circa 2001 HP lappy I was using.


    Is it now up on blocks out in front of your trailer?

    With kind regards

    Chu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2