xmahjongg 3.7 broken - Slackware

This is a discussion on xmahjongg 3.7 broken - Slackware ; I used to play mahjongg quite often, but only in that implementation "xmahjongg", because of its kind of interface (by the time I gathered some long list of numbers of resolved games). Version is 3.7, newest filestamps in the sources ...

  1. xmahjongg 3.7 broken

    I used to play mahjongg quite often, but only in that implementation
    "xmahjongg", because of its kind of interface (by the time I gathered some
    long list of numbers of resolved games). Version is 3.7, newest filestamps
    in the sources are from about narch, 2005.

    After a slak-upgrade with a fresh glibc, xmahjongg would freeze the machine
    when started. This has been since last october or november (having upgraded
    slackware-current). Being patient (not addicted enough? ), from time to
    time I tried to recompile after upgrading slackware-current (out-of-the-box
    "make" etc), maybe it just would have crept some incompatibility into the
    environment. But no, the problem persists and xmahjongg seems not usable
    anymore, seen from my side.

    Freezing occurs, as soon as the program accesses the graphics interface,
    without having displayed anything. So, any access by mouse or keyboard is
    gone. In fact, it freezes quite perfectly the complete machine and it has to
    be restarted with the hardware button.

    Taking e.g. the files for the tiles away, the program just complains in an
    associated text window and ends politely.

    Am I the only one to have seen this behaviour?

  2. Re: xmahjongg 3.7 broken

    Ewald Pfau schreef:
    > I used to play mahjongg quite often, but only in that implementation
    > "xmahjongg", because of its kind of interface (by the time I gathered some
    > long list of numbers of resolved games). Version is 3.7, newest filestamps
    > in the sources are from about narch, 2005.
    >
    > After a slak-upgrade with a fresh glibc, xmahjongg would freeze the machine
    > when started. This has been since last october or november (having upgraded
    > slackware-current). Being patient (not addicted enough? ), from time to
    > time I tried to recompile after upgrading slackware-current (out-of-the-box
    > "make" etc), maybe it just would have crept some incompatibility into the
    > environment. But no, the problem persists and xmahjongg seems not usable
    > anymore, seen from my side.
    >
    > Freezing occurs, as soon as the program accesses the graphics interface,
    > without having displayed anything. So, any access by mouse or keyboard is
    > gone. In fact, it freezes quite perfectly the complete machine and it has to
    > be restarted with the hardware button.
    >
    > Taking e.g. the files for the tiles away, the program just complains in an
    > associated text window and ends politely.
    >
    > Am I the only one to have seen this behaviour?

    I just built a Slackware 12.1 package for xmahjongg and it works
    great. Get it (and SlackBuild etc... too) at
    http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/xmahjongg/

    Eric

  3. Re: xmahjongg 3.7 broken

    Eric Hameleers :

    > I just built a Slackware 12.1 package for xmahjongg and it works
    > great. Get it (and SlackBuild etc... too) at
    > http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/xmahjongg/

    Thank you for your effort!

    But, sorry, it happens exactly the same thing as described before: as soon
    as graphics should show up, the machine freezes instead, has to be rebooted
    with the on/off-button.

    Maybe it has to do with the specific hardware - this is a thinkpad 600x,
    quite old but until now robust enough. Normally I do not see any freezes
    with this machine, with quite many, many hours of on-time.

    Graphics card is a neomagic. Logfile from X says:
    X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90;
    Release Date: 5 September 2007;
    Build Date: 14 December 2007 12:30:03PM;
    driver "neomagic_drv.so";
    "Chipset neo2360 found"

    Maybe xmahjongg doesn't work any more, just in this environment, suddenly at
    some time, with some upgrade.

  4. Re: xmahjongg 3.7 broken

    "Ewald Pfau" wrote in message
    > Eric Hameleers :
    >
    >> I just built a Slackware 12.1 package for xmahjongg and it works
    >> great. Get it (and SlackBuild etc... too) at
    >> http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/xmahjongg/

    > Thank you for your effort!
    >
    > But, sorry, it happens exactly the same thing as described before: as soon
    > as graphics should show up, the machine freezes instead, has to be
    > rebooted
    > with the on/off-button.
    >
    > Maybe it has to do with the specific hardware - this is a thinkpad 600x,
    > quite old but until now robust enough. Normally I do not see any freezes
    > with this machine, with quite many, many hours of on-time.
    >
    > Graphics card is a neomagic. Logfile from X says:
    > X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90;
    > Release Date: 5 September 2007;
    > Build Date: 14 December 2007 12:30:03PM;
    > driver "neomagic_drv.so";
    > "Chipset neo2360 found"
    >
    > Maybe xmahjongg doesn't work any more, just in this environment, suddenly
    > at
    > some time, with some upgrade.

    My Thinkpad 600 video board has its moments, I get the impression that the
    Neo Magic is cheap & nasty. I ended up putting Win2000Pro on it as Kde 3.5
    from slackware - the screen had heavy lines down it - was unreadable.
    Stangely enough it is stable with Pro 2000, even though the machine was
    built for win98. (I have the original restore cd.)

    Rick

+ Reply to Thread