Vista musings... - Slackware

This is a discussion on Vista musings... - Slackware ; We recently took delivery of a brand new system preloaded with Vista Home and we have been checking it out over the last few weeks. And, to put it bluntly, Vista is absolutely amazing. First of all, our AO1 printer ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Vista musings...

  1. Vista musings...

    We recently took delivery of a brand new system preloaded with Vista
    Home and we have been checking it out over the last few weeks.

    And, to put it bluntly, Vista is absolutely amazing. First of all,
    our AO1 printer and camera now interface flawlessly, and with lots
    and lots of user friendly, third party software to choose from.

    We never really were a Windoze user for any length of time. We went
    from (MSDOS - unix) to (os/2 - linux) using 95, 98, 2000 and XP
    only when we had to.

    But now Vista is here and the command line, is thankfully, now dead.
    There is absolutely no rational reason to use the command line
    anymore. In fact, there is no rational reason to use linux anymore,
    neither.

    Once you have cruised in Vista for awhile, you realize that linux is
    _tiny_! KDE is _tiny_! compared to the new windoze gui. And the
    fact that X offers all kinds of different window-managers is
    laughable since they are all junk. Vista is getting to that place
    where the OS is finally getting out of the way and allowing the user
    to operate intuitively. No more spending half an hour with man and
    some how-tos looking for that command you run twice a year. It
    comes out instantly with Windows!

    There is a huge difference in software written by teams of
    professional software engineers using the latest tools, also written
    by pros, and the tinkerings of the single harried amateur that is
    the backbone of linux. User interface? Whazzat??????

    And then we think about some of the trash that post to this ng.
    Most of you zealots think that the ideal system is a linux system
    running nothing at all, other than a minimal set of OS routines.
    You sit there and lick your chops over how small you can make the
    kernels, and how few processes you have running, using up the
    "precious ram." You sit there doing absolutely nothing of
    consequence with your minimal editors. Faux Pseudo, the "bash
    programmer", tells you with pride that he doesn't even run X!

    Duh! The whole point of the OS is to be invisible and allow you to
    run as many applications as possible! Of course, in the land of
    linux you don't really have any applications worth running...

    As the system hardware becomes more and more powerful, silly little
    "operating systems" like linux become more and more irrelevant to a
    professional environment. Linux has been left behind. And before
    the zealots start to howl, we suggest that you spend some time with
    a Vista system to see what you are missing.

    Oh, and there is still a 50 dollar reward payable to the person(s)
    who can guarantee that The Coward never posts to this ng again.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  2. Re: Vista musings...

    Realto Margarino wrote:

    > But now Vista is here and the command line, is thankfully, now dead.
    > There is absolutely no rational reason to use the command line
    > anymore. In fact, there is no rational reason to use linux anymore,
    > neither.


    Excellent! I'd say we'll miss you, but that would be a lie.

    --
    Old Man

    If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. -
    John Kenneth Galbraith

  3. Re: Vista musings...



    On Sun, 11 May 2008, Old Man wrote:

    > Realto Margarino wrote:
    >
    >> But now Vista is here and the command line, is thankfully, now dead.
    >> There is absolutely no rational reason to use the command line
    >> anymore. In fact, there is no rational reason to use linux anymore,
    >> neither.

    >
    > Excellent! I'd say we'll miss you, but that would be a lie.
    >

    The problem is, that post started out like such a promise, but somehow
    I doubt he'll keep it.

    In other words, I suspect we've not seen the last of margarine boy.

    Michael


  4. Re: Vista musings...

    On Sun, 11 May 2008 11:24:29 +0000, Realto Margarino trolled:

    > But now Vista is here and the command line, is thankfully, now dead.
    > There is absolutely no rational reason to use the command line
    > anymore. In fact, there is no rational reason to use linux anymore,
    > neither.


    Good. Nobody here will miss you. Buh-bye.

    Smeg off, troll.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  5. Re: Vista musings...

    On Sun, 11 May 2008 11:24:29 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    > We recently took delivery of a brand new system preloaded with Vista
    > Home and we have been checking it out over the last few weeks.
    >
    > And, to put it bluntly, Vista is absolutely amazing. First of all, our
    > AO1 printer and camera now interface flawlessly, and with lots and lots
    > of user friendly, third party software to choose from.
    >
    > We never really were a Windoze user for any length of time. We went
    > from (MSDOS - unix) to (os/2 - linux) using 95, 98, 2000 and XP only
    > when we had to.
    >
    > But now Vista is here and the command line, is thankfully, now dead.
    > There is absolutely no rational reason to use the command line anymore.
    > In fact, there is no rational reason to use linux anymore, neither.
    >
    > Once you have cruised in Vista for awhile, you realize that linux is
    > _tiny_! KDE is _tiny_! compared to the new windoze gui. And the fact
    > that X offers all kinds of different window-managers is laughable since
    > they are all junk. Vista is getting to that place where the OS is
    > finally getting out of the way and allowing the user to operate
    > intuitively. No more spending half an hour with man and some how-tos
    > looking for that command you run twice a year. It comes out instantly
    > with Windows!
    >
    > There is a huge difference in software written by teams of professional
    > software engineers using the latest tools, also written by pros, and the
    > tinkerings of the single harried amateur that is the backbone of linux.
    > User interface? Whazzat??????
    >
    > And then we think about some of the trash that post to this ng. Most of
    > you zealots think that the ideal system is a linux system running
    > nothing at all, other than a minimal set of OS routines. You sit there
    > and lick your chops over how small you can make the kernels, and how few
    > processes you have running, using up the "precious ram." You sit there
    > doing absolutely nothing of consequence with your minimal editors. Faux
    > Pseudo, the "bash programmer", tells you with pride that he doesn't even
    > run X!
    >
    > Duh! The whole point of the OS is to be invisible and allow you to run
    > as many applications as possible! Of course, in the land of linux you
    > don't really have any applications worth running...
    >
    > As the system hardware becomes more and more powerful, silly little
    > "operating systems" like linux become more and more irrelevant to a
    > professional environment. Linux has been left behind. And before the
    > zealots start to howl, we suggest that you spend some time with a Vista
    > system to see what you are missing.
    >
    > Oh, and there is still a 50 dollar reward payable to the person(s) who
    > can guarantee that The Coward never posts to this ng again.
    >
    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm


    I have to agree with you. Disregard the Linux fanboys who are replying.
    While Vista has its problems, so do all Linux distributions. And I have
    to really agree with you about the lack of professionalism with Linux.
    KDE/Gnome are jokes compared to what even XP can do. I'm not sure why the
    Linux fanboys are even trying to compare KDE/Gnome to Vista or Mac OSX
    10.5. THey should be comparing those useless desktop environments to
    WIndows 3.0. Teams of professional coders, graphic artists etc who are
    well paid and committed produce professional grade software. Opensource,
    volunteers with some time on their hands and amateur hacks, produce total
    trash Look at Adobe Photoshop and compare that to the joke that is the
    GIMP. And the list just goes on and on. Even when we get to the lowly
    bittorrent clients, Utorrent is so far ahead of those pieces of crap
    called Transmission, Deluge or Rtorrent.

    I don't even know why Linux exists. For servers, I'd rather go with
    something far more robust like OpenBsd or Solaris. And as a desktop, I'll
    stick to WinXP for now, but once I upgrade my hardware, I'll make the
    transition to VIsta. I sure would like to get a hold of a Mac as well.

    And for the fanboys in this group who want to slag me off hoping that I'm
    posting this message with Outlook Express - I know what I'm talking
    about. I'm posting this message with PAN version 0.132, and running
    Slackware 12.1/XFCE 4.4.2. The only reason why I'm using Slackware? I
    don't know, I guess I must be bored. Linux has its uses I suppose - time
    killing and wasting. Oh well, time to reboot back into WIndows XP SP2 and
    play some Warcraft because its Sunday and I can't play any decent games
    with Linux.. Oh did you say WINE? Why bother? WINE is another cruel joke
    heaped upon the Linux lemmings who miss terribly their Windows games. Oh
    the irony. Sad but true.

    Have a nice day to all of you Linux lovers, and please let me enjoy
    reading your replies.

    Oh one more thing, this was indeed a troll. But one with truth. Ouch.

  6. Re: Vista musings...

    Michael Black says:
    >On Sun, 11 May 2008, Old Man wrote:
    >> Realto Margarino wrote:


    >>> But now Vista is here and the command line, is thankfully, now dead.
    >>> There is absolutely no rational reason to use the command line
    >>> anymore. In fact, there is no rational reason to use linux anymore,
    >>> neither.


    >> Excellent! I'd say we'll miss you, but that would be a lie.


    >The problem is, that post started out like such a promise, but somehow
    >I doubt he'll keep it.


    >In other words, I suspect we've not seen the last of margarine boy.


    There is no "we" as far as you're concerned, loogan. The fact that
    you and a few others would use us as an excuse by which you might
    "socialize" and wipe away the fear and loneliness of your putrid,
    solitary existence, gives us all the background we need to know that
    any statements you make in this ng are purely an attempt to seek
    approval.

    IOW, bugger off. You're small fry. You don't count. You have
    nothing of substance to add to any debate.

    cordially, as always,

    rm


  7. Re: Vista musings...

    On 2008-05-11, GuestUser wrote:
    > Oh one more thing, this was indeed a troll. But one with truth. Ouch.


    A big post, a lot of words....

    You know, you really have to question the wisdom and judgement of someone
    who wastes the precious minutes and seconds of their life trolling.

    ken



  8. Re: Vista musings...

    GuestUser wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 May 2008 11:24:29 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:
    >
    >> We recently took delivery of a brand new system preloaded with Vista
    >> Home and we have been checking it out over the last few weeks.
    >>
    >> And, to put it bluntly, Vista is absolutely amazing. First of all, our
    >> AO1 printer and camera now interface flawlessly, and with lots and lots
    >> of user friendly, third party software to choose from.
    >>
    >> We never really were a Windoze user for any length of time. We went
    >> from (MSDOS - unix) to (os/2 - linux) using 95, 98, 2000 and XP only
    >> when we had to.
    >>
    >> But now Vista is here and the command line, is thankfully, now dead.
    >> There is absolutely no rational reason to use the command line anymore.
    >> In fact, there is no rational reason to use linux anymore, neither.
    >>
    >> Once you have cruised in Vista for awhile, you realize that linux is
    >> _tiny_! KDE is _tiny_! compared to the new windoze gui. And the fact
    >> that X offers all kinds of different window-managers is laughable since
    >> they are all junk. Vista is getting to that place where the OS is
    >> finally getting out of the way and allowing the user to operate
    >> intuitively. No more spending half an hour with man and some how-tos
    >> looking for that command you run twice a year. It comes out instantly
    >> with Windows!
    >>
    >> There is a huge difference in software written by teams of professional
    >> software engineers using the latest tools, also written by pros, and the
    >> tinkerings of the single harried amateur that is the backbone of linux.
    >> User interface? Whazzat??????
    >>
    >> And then we think about some of the trash that post to this ng. Most of
    >> you zealots think that the ideal system is a linux system running
    >> nothing at all, other than a minimal set of OS routines. You sit there
    >> and lick your chops over how small you can make the kernels, and how few
    >> processes you have running, using up the "precious ram." You sit there
    >> doing absolutely nothing of consequence with your minimal editors. Faux
    >> Pseudo, the "bash programmer", tells you with pride that he doesn't even
    >> run X!
    >>
    >> Duh! The whole point of the OS is to be invisible and allow you to run
    >> as many applications as possible! Of course, in the land of linux you
    >> don't really have any applications worth running...
    >>
    >> As the system hardware becomes more and more powerful, silly little
    >> "operating systems" like linux become more and more irrelevant to a
    >> professional environment. Linux has been left behind. And before the
    >> zealots start to howl, we suggest that you spend some time with a Vista
    >> system to see what you are missing.
    >>
    >> Oh, and there is still a 50 dollar reward payable to the person(s) who
    >> can guarantee that The Coward never posts to this ng again.
    >>
    >> cordially, as always,
    >>
    >> rm

    >
    > I have to agree with you. Disregard the Linux fanboys who are replying.
    > While Vista has its problems, so do all Linux distributions. And I have
    > to really agree with you about the lack of professionalism with Linux.
    > KDE/Gnome are jokes compared to what even XP can do. I'm not sure why the
    > Linux fanboys are even trying to compare KDE/Gnome to Vista or Mac OSX
    > 10.5. THey should be comparing those useless desktop environments to
    > WIndows 3.0. Teams of professional coders, graphic artists etc who are
    > well paid and committed produce professional grade software. Opensource,
    > volunteers with some time on their hands and amateur hacks, produce total
    > trash Look at Adobe Photoshop and compare that to the joke that is the
    > GIMP. And the list just goes on and on. Even when we get to the lowly
    > bittorrent clients, Utorrent is so far ahead of those pieces of crap
    > called Transmission, Deluge or Rtorrent.
    >
    > I don't even know why Linux exists. For servers, I'd rather go with
    > something far more robust like OpenBsd or Solaris. And as a desktop, I'll
    > stick to WinXP for now, but once I upgrade my hardware, I'll make the
    > transition to VIsta. I sure would like to get a hold of a Mac as well.
    >
    > And for the fanboys in this group who want to slag me off hoping that I'm
    > posting this message with Outlook Express - I know what I'm talking
    > about. I'm posting this message with PAN version 0.132, and running
    > Slackware 12.1/XFCE 4.4.2. The only reason why I'm using Slackware? I
    > don't know, I guess I must be bored. Linux has its uses I suppose - time
    > killing and wasting. Oh well, time to reboot back into WIndows XP SP2 and
    > play some Warcraft because its Sunday and I can't play any decent games
    > with Linux.. Oh did you say WINE? Why bother? WINE is another cruel joke
    > heaped upon the Linux lemmings who miss terribly their Windows games. Oh
    > the irony. Sad but true.
    >
    > Have a nice day to all of you Linux lovers, and please let me enjoy
    > reading your replies.
    >
    > Oh one more thing, this was indeed a troll. But one with truth. Ouch.


    check out ktorrent
    and valknut (it's my killer app -- dc client )

  9. Re: Vista musings...

    GuestUser wrote:
    >
    > KDE/Gnome are jokes compared to what even XP can do. I'm not sure why the
    > Linux fanboys are even trying to compare KDE/Gnome to Vista or Mac OSX


    You know, I had burned exactly zero coasters (CDR) in my life, until
    last night when I was at my sister's house using her high speed net
    access to download the current Slackware ISO. Now, I have never burned
    a DVD - but the Windoz software was pretty straight forward. Two coasters
    later (with no useful info as to why the burn went bad), I quit. Since I
    had bought a pack of DVDRs, I figured I would give a shot at burning one
    when I got home to my computer. It worked just fine on my first try using
    growisofs. Unfortunately, thanks to Windoz being a POS, I'm going to have
    to wait for my pre-order Slackware CD set to come in....

    - Kurt

  10. Re: Vista musings...

    ~kurt says:
    >GuestUser wrote:
    >>
    >> KDE/Gnome are jokes compared to what even XP can do. I'm not sure why the
    >> Linux fanboys are even trying to compare KDE/Gnome to Vista or Mac OSX


    >You know, I had burned exactly zero coasters (CDR) in my life, until
    >last night when I was at my sister's house using her high speed net
    >access to download the current Slackware ISO. Now, I have never burned
    >a DVD - but the Windoz software was pretty straight forward. Two coasters
    >later (with no useful info as to why the burn went bad), I quit.


    Sorry, sweets. But this is just more FUD.

    We don't believe you.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  11. Re: Vista musings...

    Realto Margarino wrote:
    > ~kurt says:
    >> GuestUser wrote:
    >>> KDE/Gnome are jokes compared to what even XP can do. I'm not sure why the
    >>> Linux fanboys are even trying to compare KDE/Gnome to Vista or Mac OSX

    >
    >> You know, I had burned exactly zero coasters (CDR) in my life, until
    >> last night when I was at my sister's house using her high speed net
    >> access to download the current Slackware ISO. Now, I have never burned
    >> a DVD - but the Windoz software was pretty straight forward. Two coasters
    >> later (with no useful info as to why the burn went bad), I quit.

    >
    > Sorry, sweets. But this is just more FUD.
    >
    > We don't believe you.
    >
    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm

    heheheh look who's talking

  12. Re: Vista musings...

    You know, I periodically peruse this newsgroup, and occasionally ask a
    question when I'm really stumped. Inevitably some helpful person who has
    nothing to gain helps me with my problem. There are so many community
    oriented people here that I find it very inspiring.

    Then, of course, there is the other sort ...

    On Sun, 11 May 2008 11:24:29 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    > We recently took delivery of a brand new system preloaded with Vista
    > Home and we have been checking it out over the last few weeks.
    >
    > And, to put it bluntly, Vista is absolutely amazing. First of all, our
    > AO1 printer and camera now interface flawlessly, and with lots and lots
    > of user friendly, third party software to choose from.
    >
    > We never really were a Windoze user for any length of time. We went
    > from (MSDOS - unix) to (os/2 - linux) using 95, 98, 2000 and XP only
    > when we had to.
    >
    > But now Vista is here and the command line, is thankfully, now dead.
    > There is absolutely no rational reason to use the command line anymore.
    > In fact, there is no rational reason to use linux anymore, neither.
    >
    > Once you have cruised in Vista for awhile, you realize that linux is
    > _tiny_! KDE is _tiny_! compared to the new windoze gui. And the fact
    > that X offers all kinds of different window-managers is laughable since
    > they are all junk. Vista is getting to that place where the OS is
    > finally getting out of the way and allowing the user to operate
    > intuitively. No more spending half an hour with man and some how-tos
    > looking for that command you run twice a year. It comes out instantly
    > with Windows!
    >
    > There is a huge difference in software written by teams of professional
    > software engineers using the latest tools, also written by pros, and the
    > tinkerings of the single harried amateur that is the backbone of linux.
    > User interface? Whazzat??????
    >
    > And then we think about some of the trash that post to this ng. Most of
    > you zealots think that the ideal system is a linux system running
    > nothing at all, other than a minimal set of OS routines. You sit there
    > and lick your chops over how small you can make the kernels, and how few
    > processes you have running, using up the "precious ram." You sit there
    > doing absolutely nothing of consequence with your minimal editors. Faux
    > Pseudo, the "bash programmer", tells you with pride that he doesn't even
    > run X!
    >
    > Duh! The whole point of the OS is to be invisible and allow you to run
    > as many applications as possible! Of course, in the land of linux you
    > don't really have any applications worth running...
    >
    > As the system hardware becomes more and more powerful, silly little
    > "operating systems" like linux become more and more irrelevant to a
    > professional environment. Linux has been left behind. And before the
    > zealots start to howl, we suggest that you spend some time with a Vista
    > system to see what you are missing.
    >
    > Oh, and there is still a 50 dollar reward payable to the person(s) who
    > can guarantee that The Coward never posts to this ng again.
    >
    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm



  13. Re: Vista musings...

    Ed LaBonte wrote:

    > Then, of course, there is the other sort ...


    Top posters?

    - Kurt

  14. Re: Vista musings...

    "~kurt" wrote in message
    news:e_ednRCE__9uDLPVnZ2dnUVZ_q7inZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    > Ed LaBonte wrote:
    >
    >> Then, of course, there is the other sort ...

    >
    > Top posters?
    >
    > - Kurt


    Cut the bloke a break. He was right, and the way he wrote his post, top
    posting was justified IMHO. Feel free to flame me for this, I'm a big boy

    ~T~



  15. Re: Vista musings...

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 21:52:28 +0000, TimJ wrote:

    >>> Then, of course, there is the other sort ...


    >> Top posters?


    > Cut the bloke a break. He was right, and the way he wrote his post, top
    > posting was justified IMHO. Feel free to flame me for this, I'm a big boy


    He wasn't right, and top-posting is never right, dimwit.

    > X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138


    Ahhh. That explains the stupidity. A ****ing Win-droid.

    Bugger off.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  16. Re: Vista musings...


    "Dan C" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.07.10.01.11.00.670017@moria2.lan...
    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 21:52:28 +0000, TimJ wrote:
    >
    >>>> Then, of course, there is the other sort ...

    >
    >>> Top posters?

    >
    >> Cut the bloke a break. He was right, and the way he wrote his post, top
    >> posting was justified IMHO. Feel free to flame me for this, I'm a big boy
    >>

    >
    > He wasn't right, and top-posting is never right, dimwit.
    >
    >> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138

    >
    > Ahhh. That explains the stupidity. A ****ing Win-droid.
    >
    > Bugger off.
    >
    >


    Someone didn't take their prozac today... Have you heard of dual booting?
    Perhaps you can do a man lilo to get a clue.



  17. Re: Vista musings...

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 02:00:56 +0000, TimJ wrote:

    > Someone didn't take their prozac today... Have you heard of dual
    > booting? Perhaps you can do a man lilo to get a clue.


    no no, that's just "Dan C" or "Dan Cunt" as he is known in the ubuntu
    newsgroup...he's been a little testy of late...perhaps not getting enough
    teste...

  18. Re: Vista musings...

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 02:00:56 +0000, TimJ wrote:

    >> Ahhh. That explains the stupidity. A ****ing Win-droid.


    > Someone didn't take their prozac today...


    Try tying a string on your finger to remind you to take it.

    > Have you heard of dual booting?


    Yes, I have heard of it. I am quad-booting this particular laptop, but
    there isn't any Windoze involved.

    > Perhaps you can do a man lilo to get a clue.


    I've forgotten more clues since I woke up this morning than you will ever
    acquire in your entire miserable lifetime, you Win-droid wanker.

    Besides, I use GRUB.

    > X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138


    Your dual-booting seems to be broken. This keeps coming up.

    Bugger off, you Win-droid stooge. This newsgroup is for people who use
    Slackware. Run along and go update your viruses, or something.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  19. Re: Vista musings...

    Dan C wrote:
    >> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138

    >
    >Your dual-booting seems to be broken. This keeps coming up.


    Holy moly, Dan--when are you going to get over this X-Newsreader
    obsession? At least I don't use that Pan thing. Sheesh!

    -Beej


  20. Re: Vista musings...

    On 2008-07-20, Beej Jorgensen wrote:

    >>> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138


    >>Your dual-booting seems to be broken. This keeps coming up.


    > Holy moly, Dan--when are you going to get over this X-Newsreader
    > obsession?


    It's not so much the X-Newsreader I'm pointing out..., it's the OS.

    > At least I don't use that Pan thing. Sheesh!


    Heh. Is this better?


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

+ Reply to Thread