Slackware Release Fun and Games Results - Slackware

  2. Re: Slackware Release Fun and Games Results

    On Mon, 5 May 2008, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > Well the results are in. Slackware 12.1 was released 2008.05.01
    > according to the Changelog. Here are the bets.
    >
    > Two Ravens 2008.06.12
    > Dan C 2008.04.02

    u missed my horrible guess of 2008.04.01

    Congrats to Mark

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    I read usenet and lists in pine. But m$ outlook, thunderbird and gmail
    often use html span/whatever for quotes, makes it hard to tell who said
    what, so I dont try. If I ignore you, thats why! Use a compliant mailer.

  3. Re: Slackware Release Fun and Games Results

    In article <0m14f5x5r2.ln2@Cardinal.lizella.net>,
    +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > [0] That and $0.50 USD will buy you a Coca~Cola.

    Where the hell are you living (rhetorical)...

    Congrats to Mark.
    --
    Only trust pipe-smoking penguins.

  4. Re: Slackware Release Fun and Games Results

    On Mon, 5 May 2008, Scott Cole wrote:

    > In article <0m14f5x5r2.ln2@Cardinal.lizella.net>,
    > +Alan Hicks+ wrote:
    >
    >> [0] That and $0.50 USD will buy you a Coca~Cola.

    > Where the hell are you living (rhetorical)...

    If you buy them in bulk, like a box of 12, it's even a bit cheaper
    than fifty cents a can.

    Michael

    > Congrats to Mark.
    > --
    > Only trust pipe-smoking penguins.

  5. Re: Slackware Release Fun and Games Results

    On Mon, 05 May 2008 18:53:20 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > As usual, the guesses are all over the place. The earliest guess was
    > 2008.03.21 and the latest guess was 2008.10.21. While several guesses
    > came close to the mark, Mark South struck a bull's-eye guessing the
    > exact date of release.

    (BOWING) Thank you, thank you, it wasn't talent, just plain luck.

    Of course, now I can never enter the sweepstake again....

    > Mark wins 26 BOZO points (13 loosers and doubled for getting the exact
    > date) and all the adoration we care to shower upon him[0]. In addition,
    > Mark can redeem these BOZO points towards a free trip to Europa[1]!

    Can I spend the 26 points on a downgrade and just take a trip to Europe?
    Europa is a little too cold for my liking and I'm told that the local
    Internet connectivity is really slow.

    And I'm already in Europe.

    > Congratulations Mark!

    Thank you once more.

    As always, the best prize of all is a new Slackware release.

    Mine is lovely and shiny and everything works.

    Pluses: LILO actually installed correctly to the root sector of the
    install partition, something that hasn't worked since 10.1, and it comes
    with a splash screen! Whee!

    Also, everything works - oh, wait I said that already ;-)

    Minuses: I had almost no configuration to do, I was expecting to be able
    to play with setting up sound and stuff and it was all done for me! in
    fact, Slack went overboard and correctly configured both my sound cards,
    including the onboard one that I thought was disabled in the BIOS!

    My only consolation was that Xorg set my display to 1024x768 (a bit too
    conservative), so I was looking forward to hacking a xorg.conf, but then
    I was disappointed again, running Xorg -configure generated a perfect
    xorg.conf that didn't need any tuning at all :-(

    So, the greatest performance, overshadowing even my own prescient nailing
    of the exact date, is that of PV and his slack team, who have put
    together a fantastic release that works really well, even though that
    will disappoint some of us who have become hardened tinkerers.

    Mark
    --
    Whose signature is too shy to make an appearance under the circumstances.

+ Reply to Thread