Slackware versus OpenBSD - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackware versus OpenBSD - Slackware ; > >> The only thing I have against OBSD (if regular use is considered) is IO >> efficiency- it is really sloooow. > > Really? From what outhouse wall did you read that? From www.openbsd.org? Or maybe from the wallpainting ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Slackware versus OpenBSD

    >> The only thing I have against OBSD (if regular use is considered) is IO
    >> efficiency- it is really sloooow.

    > Really? From what outhouse wall did you read that?

    From www.openbsd.org? Or maybe from the wallpainting which says:
    synchronous filesystems are ALWAYS slower though recommended by OBSD team?
    Cant remember.

    >> And smaller thing: CPU scalability is far behind Linux kernel.

    > How many CPUs do you require to build a firewall? A 486DX2 will handle
    > 10 Mbit/sec IP traffic at 10% CPU utilization.

    I mentioned facts and limits. So whats your point?

    >> PS. God bless ed, if you install OBSD from floppy you will know what I
    >> mean

    > Really, with the install sets on a server the entire OS goes onto HDD in
    > less than 5 minutes. Makes me fall to sleep waiting.

    Good for you. Not all install goes from a cutting edge disk and server- in
    OBSD usually it's oposite, which you should know as an experienced OBSD
    admin/user/expert pretty aware of hardware compatibility issues.

    --
    luk

  2. Re: Slackware versus OpenBSD

    On Mon, 05 May 2008 18:54:38 +0200, lukaswu wrote:

    >>> The only thing I have against OBSD (if regular use is considered) is
    >>> IO efficiency- it is really sloooow.

    >> Really? From what outhouse wall did you read that?

    > From www.openbsd.org? Or maybe from the wallpainting which says:
    > synchronous filesystems are ALWAYS slower though recommended by OBSD
    > team? Cant remember.

    So in your mind a little bit slower is sloooow? And you really prefer
    asynchronous disk IO because you just love running fsck?

    >>> And smaller thing: CPU scalability is far behind Linux kernel.

    >> How many CPUs do you require to build a firewall? A 486DX2 will handle
    >> 10 Mbit/sec IP traffic at 10% CPU utilization.

    > I mentioned facts and limits. So whats your point?

    Just what do you really think that scalability means?

    >>> PS. God bless ed, if you install OBSD from floppy you will know what I
    >>> mean

    >> Really, with the install sets on a server the entire OS goes onto HDD
    >> in less than 5 minutes. Makes me fall to sleep waiting.
    >>

    > Good for you. Not all install goes from a cutting edge disk and server-
    > in OBSD usually it's oposite, which you should know as an experienced
    > OBSD admin/user/expert pretty aware of hardware compatibility issues.

    My last install was yesterday on an 8 year old machine with a P233MMX
    CPU, 32MB memory and a HDD which does file IO at about 3.5MB/sec. It
    still took less than 5 minutes.

    In over 8 years of use of OpenBSD I have never encountered a single
    hardware compatibility issue. But then I don't use winmodems or
    winprinters either.

  3. Re: Slackware versus OpenBSD

    > So in your mind a little bit slower is sloooow? And you really prefer
    > asynchronous disk IO because you just love running fsck?

    I prefer icream. What does have journaling with sync async mode in
    common?? They on completely two different levels- one say driver operation
    the other filesystem. And yes, sync mode is slow; running OBSD you
    perfectly know how much time you need to use security implemeted on
    inodes. It's slooow.

    >>> How many CPUs do you require to build a firewall? A 486DX2 will handle
    >>> 10 Mbit/sec IP traffic at 10% CPU utilization.

    >> I mentioned facts and limits. So whats your point?

    > Just what do you really think that scalability means?

    What I wrote before.

    > My last install was yesterday on an 8 year old machine with a P233MMX
    > CPU, 32MB memory and a HDD which does file IO at about 3.5MB/sec. It
    > still took less than 5 minutes.

    Base installation? Could be.

    > In over 8 years of use of OpenBSD I have never encountered a single
    > hardware compatibility issue. But then I don't use winmodems or
    > winprinters either.

    Neither did I though when I wanted to buy a notebook which would be able
    to run 3.3-3.9 I had to check very close even NICs to be sure they would
    run. True, every half a year it gets better.

    The funny thing is that you attacked me while I am the last person who
    should be attacked on OBSD basis. Saying nothing of wrong news group to do
    so .

    --
    luk

+ Reply to Thread