Slack 12 + 20GB HDD: disk full during install? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slack 12 + 20GB HDD: disk full during install? - Slackware ; Huub wrote: > OK, I'm up to my xth time of installing Slack 12. Partitioning: > /dev/hda1: / 5 GB, /dev/hda2: swap 64MB (RAM: 32MB), /dev/hda3: /usr 10 > GB, /dev/hda4: /home (rest of disk). Installing only the necessary > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Slack 12 + 20GB HDD: disk full during install?

    Huub wrote:
    > OK, I'm up to my xth time of installing Slack 12. Partitioning:
    > /dev/hda1: / 5 GB, /dev/hda2: swap 64MB (RAM: 32MB), /dev/hda3: /usr 10
    > GB, /dev/hda4: /home (rest of disk). Installing only the necessary
    > packages, leaving out X, audio/video and games. Leaving in some compiler
    > and programming packages. At some point (right now: installing ruby) it
    > says:
    >
    > Killed
    > root@slackware:/# Killed
    > Killed
    > (no prompt, just cursor)
    >
    > System doesn't hang. Alt-F2 screen:
    >
    > df:
    >
    > /: 2%
    > /usr 8%
    > /home: 2%
    >
    > Any clue what's happening?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Could you give us the results of fdisk -l (as root)?

    If you want to eliminate a lot of questions, repartition the disk to use
    two partitions: partition 1 - swap 1024 Mb, and partition 2 - rest of
    disk as / . Then install Slackware 12.

  2. Re: Slack 12 + 20GB HDD: disk full during install?

    Robby Workman wrote:

    > /usr is going to be a larger partition, and both /usr and /opt hold the
    > same type stuff, so there's not generally a good reason to have both.

    On a fresh install, /opt is completely empty. I've been keeping it as
    a separate partition, as I said, because I found other uses for it....

    - Kurt

  3. Re: Slack 12 + 20GB HDD: disk full during install?

    On 2008-05-02, ~kurt wrote:
    > Robby Workman wrote:
    >>
    >> /usr is going to be a larger partition, and both /usr and /opt hold the
    >> same type stuff, so there's not generally a good reason to have both.

    > On a fresh install, /opt is completely empty. I've been keeping it as
    > a separate partition, as I said, because I found other uses for it....

    So there's at least one good reason

    -RW

  4. Re: Slack 12 + 20GB HDD: disk full during install?

    > My guess would be not enough RAM. Somehow I think I remember newer
    > versions of Slack requiring 64Mb, but not certain.

    I think that was the issue. I managed to add some RAM to 98MB and
    installed again, this with X. Runs fine now.
    Thank you for helping out.

  5. Re: Slack 12 + 20GB HDD: disk full during install?

    Thank you all for helping me out. Added some more RAM to 98MB,
    repartitioned (now with swap = 256MB, keeping the rest about the same)
    and got Slack 12 installed fine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2