recording with xawtv-no sound - Slackware

This is a discussion on recording with xawtv-no sound - Slackware ; Hi, I have a quickcam messenger, which runs using the quickcam.ko driver that I downloaded (qc-usb-messenger-1.7.tar.gz) and built. My kernel is 2.6.23.9-smp and the os is slack 12. Using audio applications such as audacity I can record sound with the ...

  1. recording with xawtv-no sound

    Hi,
    I have a quickcam messenger, which runs using the quickcam.ko driver that I
    downloaded (qc-usb-messenger-1.7.tar.gz) and built. My kernel is
    2.6.23.9-smp and the os is slack 12. Using audio applications such as
    audacity I can record sound with the camera. Using xawtv I can record a
    movie with it (by specifying the movie driver as microsoft avi and
    specifying the video format accordingly) but the movie playback has no
    sound. My video hardware is the built in Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL
    Integrated Graphics Controller. I have built in audio (Intel Corporation
    82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller) along
    with some usb sound devices but none of it works with xawtv.
    I would appreciate help from anyone who has had success recording video
    containing sound with these tools .
    Thanks, jwc

  2. Re: recording with xawtv-no sound

    john connolly wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have a quickcam messenger, which runs using the quickcam.ko
    > driver that I
    > downloaded (qc-usb-messenger-1.7.tar.gz) and built. My kernel is
    > 2.6.23.9-smp and the os is slack 12. Using audio applications such as
    > audacity I can record sound with the camera. Using xawtv I can record a
    > movie with it (by specifying the movie driver as microsoft avi and
    > specifying the video format accordingly) but the movie playback has no
    > sound. My video hardware is the built in Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL
    > Integrated Graphics Controller. I have built in audio (Intel Corporation
    > 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller)
    > along with some usb sound devices but none of it works with xawtv.
    > I would appreciate help from anyone who has had success recording
    > video
    > containing sound with these tools .
    > Thanks, jwc

    Hi again,
    The problem here was one of permissions. Once I gave user read and write
    privileges on /dev/snd, xawtv picked up sound.
    Cheers, jwc

+ Reply to Thread