Esoteric keyboard symbols - Slackware

This is a discussion on Esoteric keyboard symbols - Slackware ; I have a UK iMac, and the keyboard mappings need a lot to be desired. I need to identify the symbols at the top-left of my keyboard. Is there a good resource for this? Speicifically, I'm trying to identify the ...

  1. Esoteric keyboard symbols

    I have a UK iMac, and the keyboard mappings need a lot to be desired. I
    need to identify the symbols at the top-left of my keyboard. Is there a
    good resource for this?

    Speicifically, I'm trying to identify the plus-minus sign (a plus above
    a minus), and a double-S (looks like a symbol you might see at the
    beginning of book chapters).

  2. Re: Esoteric keyboard symbols

    On Mar 25, 3:46 pm, Mark Carter wrote:
    > I have a UK iMac, and the keyboard mappings need a lot to be desired. I
    > need to identify the symbols at the top-left of my keyboard. Is there a
    > good resource for this?
    >
    > Speicifically, I'm trying to identify the plus-minus sign (a plus above
    > a minus), and a double-S (looks like a symbol you might see at the
    > beginning of book chapters).

    Probably this is more related to software rather than to a keyboard
    mapping. If you have to use special symbols/characters consider for
    example Open Office. Both plus/minus and double-S are under Insert-
    >Special Characters. Surely, latex has them too. I don't see these

    symbols under UTF-8 encoding http://www.tony-franks.co.uk/UTF-8.htm.
    Really, I think it's better and more simple to use either Open Office
    or latex.

    ---
    Bogdan

  3. Re: Esoteric keyboard symbols

    B.Yanchitsky@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Mar 25, 3:46 pm, Mark Carter wrote:
    >> I have a UK iMac, and the keyboard mappings need a lot to be desired. I
    >> need to identify the symbols at the top-left of my keyboard. Is there a
    >> good resource for this?
    >>
    >> Speicifically, I'm trying to identify the plus-minus sign (a plus above
    >> a minus), and a double-S (looks like a symbol you might see at the
    >> beginning of book chapters).

    > Probably this is more related to software rather than to a keyboard
    > mapping. If you have to use special symbols/characters consider for
    > example Open Office. Both plus/minus and double-S are under Insert-
    >> Special Characters. Surely, latex has them too. I don't see these

    > symbols under UTF-8 encoding http://www.tony-franks.co.uk/UTF-8.htm.
    > Really, I think it's better and more simple to use either Open Office
    > or latex.

    Thanks, the website gave me some vital clues. I'm not trying to write a
    document, so OO and Latex are not that useful to me. I'm just trying to
    fix up the keyboard. The "plus-minus" is called "plusminus", and the
    "double-S" is called "section". I might even try to contact the
    maintainers of the keymaps with possible fixes. KDE is more-or-less
    right, it's the virtual consoles that needs a bit of TLC.

    Slackware's UK iMac keyboard settings seems totally whack. Ubuntu does
    better, but I can never get the mappings to survive a reboot. I think
    that one problem with Ubuntu is that stuff gets hidden behind
    ever-increasing layers of abstraction, so it's very difficult to find
    out what is actually going on. You peel back the layers of the onion,
    only to find more onions.

    Still plenty to play for before I've got my Slackware install
    pixel-perfect. Phew.

  4. Re: Esoteric keyboard symbols

    Mark Carter wrote:
    > B.Yanchitsky@gmail.com wrote:
    >> On Mar 25, 3:46 pm, Mark Carter wrote:
    >>> I have a UK iMac, and the keyboard mappings need a lot to be desired. I
    >>> need to identify the symbols at the top-left of my keyboard. Is there a
    >>> good resource for this?
    >>>
    >>> Speicifically, I'm trying to identify the plus-minus sign (a plus above
    >>> a minus), and a double-S (looks like a symbol you might see at the
    >>> beginning of book chapters).

    >> Probably this is more related to software rather than to a keyboard
    >> mapping. If you have to use special symbols/characters consider for
    >> example Open Office. Both plus/minus and double-S are under Insert-
    >>> Special Characters. Surely, latex has them too. I don't see these

    >> symbols under UTF-8 encoding http://www.tony-franks.co.uk/UTF-8.htm.
    >> Really, I think it's better and more simple to use either Open Office
    >> or latex.

    > Thanks, the website gave me some vital clues. I'm not trying to write a
    > document, so OO and Latex are not that useful to me. I'm just trying to
    > fix up the keyboard. The "plus-minus" is called "plusminus", and the
    > "double-S" is called "section". I might even try to contact the
    > maintainers of the keymaps with possible fixes. KDE is more-or-less
    > right, it's the virtual consoles that needs a bit of TLC.

    Under X11; you can use xmodmap to fix the map (and xev to see what the
    keycodes are).

    Olive

  5. Re: Esoteric keyboard symbols

    >> Thanks, the website gave me some vital clues. I'm not trying to write
    >> a document, so OO and Latex are not that useful to me. I'm just trying
    >> to fix up the keyboard. The "plus-minus" is called "plusminus", and
    >> the "double-S" is called "section". I might even try to contact the
    >> maintainers of the keymaps with possible fixes. KDE is more-or-less
    >> right, it's the virtual consoles that needs a bit of TLC.

    > Under X11; you can use xmodmap to fix the map (and xev to see what the
    > keycodes are).

    I find xkeycaps to be an emminently useful piece of software for
    dealing with xmodmap:

    www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/

+ Reply to Thread