System freeze with slack 9.1 while using jed - Slackware

This is a discussion on System freeze with slack 9.1 while using jed - Slackware ; Maybe some one can point me in the right direction. A while ago, I went to make some editing changes in a text file using Jed. When I called Jed, I just got a blank screen, flat black screen....I'm not ...

  1. System freeze with slack 9.1 while using jed

    Maybe some one can point me in the right direction. A while ago, I went to
    make some editing changes in a text file using Jed. When I called Jed, I
    just got a blank screen, flat black screen....I'm not running from the GUI
    but using a number of Vt's. I had to go to another VT to kill Jed, tried
    again, same problem.

    Long and short: eventually, the system froze, no keyboard, no mouse, nothing,
    except for a very long error message that suddenly appeared on my screen.

    It was very long and I only noted some of the material...

    ------
    Unable to handle kernel page request at virtual address ------

    process sendmail (pid # -- followed by a very long stack dump.

    Internal free space seems to be wrong, level2

    Then some error messages about bad block at block number such and such

    -------

    Odd issue: I don't run sendmail, haven't for ages, the rc.sendmail
    is set at 644.

    Regardless, is it at all possible that this problem is related to bad blocks
    in the reiserfs

    I've had problems with the reiserfs, but the system has been up for 60 days
    24x7 with no problems.

    And, the error message about the kernel mystifies me.... I think something
    tried to write to a bad block, but that doesn't explain the whole issue...I
    don't think it does.

    Any help, as always, appreciated.

    ken

  2. Re: System freeze with slack 9.1 while using jed

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:08:53 -0500, No_One wrote:

    >Maybe some one can point me in the right direction. A while ago, I went to
    >make some editing changes in a text file using Jed. When I called Jed, I
    >just got a blank screen, flat black screen....I'm not running from the GUI
    >but using a number of Vt's. I had to go to another VT to kill Jed, tried
    >again, same problem.
    >
    >Long and short: eventually, the system froze, no keyboard, no mouse, nothing,
    >except for a very long error message that suddenly appeared on my screen.
    >
    >It was very long and I only noted some of the material...
    >
    >------
    >Unable to handle kernel page request at virtual address ------

    Did the thing run out of memory?

    Suggest update to the latest (assuming you run 2.4) kernel:
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...4.36.2.tar.bz2

    in case there's something relevant fixed there.

    >process sendmail (pid # -- followed by a very long stack dump.
    >
    >Internal free space seems to be wrong, level2
    >
    >Then some error messages about bad block at block number such and such
    >
    >-------
    >
    >Odd issue: I don't run sendmail, haven't for ages, the rc.sendmail
    >is set at 644.

    Could be a hard drive failing? Run smartctl -a /dev/$WHATEVER and
    check reallocated sectors and other error info.

    >Regardless, is it at all possible that this problem is related to bad blocks
    >in the reiserfs

    Could be, reiserfs is not known for fault tolerance, but the system
    is some years old, might need a `dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M of=/dev/hda`
    to give the HDD a chance to reallocate any iffy sectors. Then restore
    from backup I've recovered a couple HDDs this way.

    >I've had problems with the reiserfs, but the system has been up for 60 days
    >24x7 with no problems.

    Only time I had a problem with reiserfs was when I didn't reboot between
    partitioning and formatting.

    >And, the error message about the kernel mystifies me.... I think something
    >tried to write to a bad block, but that doesn't explain the whole issue...I
    >don't think it does.

    Another thing to try is a memory test? Reseat memory and CPU perhaps?

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  3. Re: System freeze with slack 9.1 while using jed

    On 2008-03-25, Grant wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:08:53 -0500, No_One wrote:
    >>------
    >>Unable to handle kernel page request at virtual address ------

    > Did the thing run out of memory?

    Not possible, I mean it is, but not in this case...I only have 256mgs of
    memory so I keep an instance of top running in a VT..I wasn't running in a
    GUI just from the command line mode and apache and mysql were down...plenty
    of extra mem.

    > Suggest update to the latest (assuming you run 2.4) kernel:
    > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...4.36.2.tar.bz2

    I've decided to do what I should have done months ago...I order slack 12 and
    will just install from scratch....9 is a touch on the old side.
    I'm now double checking my backups, making a couple extra rescue disks and
    moving misc data from the master to a slave hard drive.

    > Could be a hard drive failing? Run smartctl -a /dev/$WHATEVER and
    > check reallocated sectors and other error info.

    That's possible. I do have a new hard drive laying around and I'm going to
    swap out the old master - quantum-Fireball for the new hard drive as soon as
    I figure out the bios issue...Whenever I swap out the the master I get a
    bios not found error...the bios is on a pci card that the hard
    drive connects to....as I understand it...searching google now for solutions.
    I'm used to just changing out the hard drive and resetting the jumper...

    >>Regardless, is it at all possible that this problem is related to bad blocks
    >>in the reiserfs

    > Could be, reiserfs is not known for fault tolerance, but the system
    > is some years old, might need a `dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M of=/dev/hda`
    > to give the HDD a chance to reallocate any iffy sectors. Then restore
    > from backup I've recovered a couple HDDs this way.

    I do honestly think it's the reiser. I'm going back to ext filesystem when
    I install slack 12...just for kicks I'm going to try and use the resier tools
    to fix the hard drive...see what happens...I heard it can create a mess...

    > Another thing to try is a memory test? Reseat memory and CPU perhaps?

    That's on my list as well...

    Listen, hanks for the input and suggestion....it's appreciated.

    ken

+ Reply to Thread