delicast.com and windows media player - Slackware

This is a discussion on delicast.com and windows media player - Slackware ; Hi, I'm still using Slackware 11 but I would ask this question even if using Slackware 12. Very briefly, I wanted to ask how other Slackware users listen to radio (or watch television, but I'm mostly interested in radio) on ...

  1. delicast.com and windows media player

    Hi,

    I'm still using Slackware 11 but I would ask this question even if using
    Slackware 12. Very briefly, I wanted to ask how other Slackware users
    listen to radio (or watch television, but I'm mostly interested in
    radio) on DeliCast when Windows Media Player is required (which is the
    case if the button is light green).

    I find that RealPlayer for Linux works both for Winamp (brown button)
    and (naturally) for RealPlayer (blue button) on DeliCast, but
    unfortunately most of the stations require Windows Media Player. :-(

    Thanks,
    Christopher

  2. Re: delicast.com and windows media player

    Christopher Pinon wrote :

    > I find that RealPlayer for Linux works both for Winamp (brown button)
    > and (naturally) for RealPlayer (blue button) on DeliCast, but
    > unfortunately most of the stations require Windows Media Player. :-(

    Went to delicast and tried one of the green buttons for radio and I can
    see that it starts MPlayer.

    So if you install MPlayer and mplayerplug-in you can hear radio, sadly
    there's no response if I choose one of the TV channels.
    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: delicast.com and windows media player

    Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    > So if you install MPlayer and mplayerplug-in you can hear radio

    Once you know the URL it is also possible to start mplayer from the
    command line, something like:

    mplayer http://www.di.fm/wma/vocaltrance.asx

    If you use mplayerplug-in it is possible to find the URL with:

    ps auxwww | grep mplayer

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  4. Re: delicast.com and windows media player

    On 2008-03-25, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > Once you know the URL it is also possible to start mplayer from the
    > command line, something like:
    >
    > mplayer http://www.di.fm/wma/vocaltrance.asx

    or:

    mplayer -playlist http://www.di.fm/wma/vocaltrance.asx

    or even better:

    mplayer -cache 1024 -playlist http://www.di.fm/wma/vocaltrance.asx \
    -vc null -vo null -ao pcm:fast:waveheader:file=offline.wav

    just to beat the whole 'you can't save this for offline listening'
    idea :-)

    Andrew

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  5. Re: delicast.com and windows media player

    Thanks to Thomas, Henrik, and Andrew for this information. I had been
    avoiding mplayer because it looks tricky to compile, but I guess that I
    should reconsider!

    Christopher

  6. Re: delicast.com and windows media player

    Christopher Pinon wrote :

    > I had been avoiding mplayer because it looks tricky to compile, but I
    > guess that I should reconsider!

    Its not that hard, but if you want to avoid it you can find prebuild
    packages at Linuxpackages:

    --
    Thomas O.

  7. Re: delicast.com and windows media player

    On 2008-03-26, Christopher Pinon wrote:
    > Thanks to Thomas, Henrik, and Andrew for this information. I had been
    > avoiding mplayer because it looks tricky to compile, but I guess that I
    > should reconsider!

    Slackbuilds.org has a script for mplayer rc2 if you don't want to try
    the svn.

    Andrew

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  8. Re: delicast.com and windows media player

    Christopher Pinon wrote:
    > I had been avoiding mplayer because it looks tricky to compile, but I
    > guess that I should reconsider!

    The tricky part is to download, compile and install all the dependencies
    if you want a full featured MPlayer. However, even a "standalone" MPlayer
    is rather capable as it supports most formats and also is able to use
    supplied Windows codecs.

    If you want a full featured MPlayer you can try my tool makepack from
    http://makepack.sourceforge.net/

    With makepack you can simply type

    make MPlayer install

    and watch it download, compile and install MPlayer with all its
    dependencies. The current makepack installs MPlayer 1.0rc1, if you wan't
    1.0rc2 instead you will have to get makepack from CVS.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread